A new SQ method!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thought I had about PC decoding of SQ and the Center Front performance - what about extracting the Center Front signal, then doing the decoding and then adding back that originally extracted mono CF signal to the L & R front channels? Or extract CF, then apply it out of phase to the UN-decoded SQ signal to remove it from the 2-channel SQ signal - then do the full SQ PC decode and finally add back that originally extracted mono CF signal to L/R front? It would be treating it as if you had a 4 channel mix with no center vocals and a discrete vocal track that needed to be laid back in.

Does that sound 'doable' at all, or is your newest method getting really good CF performance?

I would imagine your proprosed idea could cause more problems than were there to start with. Don't forget, it's a stereo stage, not a channel (which i refuse to normally use).

The performance is that good now, it's always best to deal with a problem directly, don't you think? I've just done another decoding for a future release, and the vocals are as they should be, as is the whole front stage area. But that's my view, it's early day for releases, so i guess time will tell..................

As to the term Center Front, there shouldn't be 'channel' used anywhere near it.... again, my view......

OD

I would imagine your proprosed idea could cause more problems than were there to start with. Don't forget, it's a stereo stage, not a channel (which i refuse to normally use).

The performance is that good now, it's always best to deal with a problem directly, don't you think? I've just done another decoding for a future release, and the vocals are as they should be, as is the whole front stage area. But that's my view, it's early day for releases, so i guess time will tell..................

As to the term Center Front, there shouldn't be 'channel' used anywhere near it.... again, my view......

OD

The reason I use the term 'channel' when discussing Center Front in SQ is because Center Front is encoded in exactly the same way between Dolby Surround and SQ - and while, originally, when SQ was developed, they only thought it terms of the typical "four" channels that we know and love as quad, the two rear "channels" are imaginary, just like the Center Front - that's why the SQ process is "lossy", unlike a discrete matrix such as CD-4. In SQ the two rear channels and Center Front are encoded with a specific phase and amplitude encoded that can be decoded with either a simple non-adaptive decoding process or an adaptive process. For any position on the 360 SQ pan locus, a direct speaker feed can be derived with the inverse decoding process (I'm aware that decoding isn't a simple reversal of the decode, but I'm keeping this simple)

So if a phantom signal is encoded at a specific position, and then decoded at that same position, but as a direct speaker feed, I consider that a "channel" - again because its really no different than the two rear 'channels' of SQ that get decoded to speaker feeds. Of course, the system completely breaks down if the SQ encoder was the original 4/2 "square" encoding system since it only encodes the 3 front positions and 3 rear positions accurately - all other positions are encoded/decoded incorrectly. That's why CBS developed the position encoder.

So that's where I'm 'coming from' when I talk about 'channels' in SQ - but I can understand why you wouldn't want to refer to anything other than the original 'square' of speakers as 'channels'. To me, once something has been logic decoded to a speaker feed, it's now a "channel"; But I think it's just a preference on our own individual parts and it's a good thing to talk about because in future posts you'll know what I'm referring to as a 'channel' if, say, I'm talking about "center front" or and I'll understand your posts too, you know?

These kinds of discussions are good, I think, because it prevents (at least I hope it does) one person from thinking the other is a total loony with absolutely no understanding of the subject they are talking about - and sadly, I've seen a lot of that - LaserDisc and video are also major hobbies of mine and it drives me crazy when some other, supposedly fanatical and well-educated, collector comes into a conversation and within a paragraph lets it be known that he has no clue how the format works, etc... When I was the projection booth manager at the Century Rio 24 theater in Albuquerque, NM, I was absolutely shocked the first time Century's theater tech's came in to do some maintenance on the DTS and SDDS systems. The first tech thought that SDDS stood for "Super Duper Digital Sound" (I guess he never looked at the front panel of the decoder or the manual or movie credits?) and the other tech told me I had no idea what I was talking about when I told him we could just buy a bunch of cheap IDE CD-ROM drives off of eBay for $15 each to replace all the failed drives in our DTS-6 decoders - he was actually planning on buying them from DTS for $450 each! I ordered a single drive from eBay myself, installed it and then presented the working unit to the theaters General Manager - he gave me $200 right then to buy drives for all our DTS units. When they came in the theater tech's refused to install them because they were 'worried about their liability' by not buying from DTS - never mind the fact they were the exact same model of Toshiba drive that DTS was selling for a hefty markup! So I got to spend several weekends installing 3 drives per unit for all 24 screens DTS units. UGH!

One last thing... I've been thinking about starting a quadraphonic "dictionary" here on the QQ forums that everyone could add to - that way, there would be no confusions about the usage of terms like "center front channel" in SQ, etc... and everyone would always know what everyone else was talking about. What do you think? I'm gonna start posting one today that I hope you and others will add to or correct. Quadraphonics/Surround Sound has never seemed to have a set of well-defined terms for everything, unlike, say, television, were interlaced and progressive have specific and fixed definitions.

What does everyone think?

I think the Dictionary is a great idea. Many times we will have posts from folks just getting started in surround or Quad and they just have basic questions that can be answered by searching through the Forum threads but may require hours of reading. The Dictionary would provide a quick primer for them as well as clarify terms for the rest of us. I'm learning a lot just by reading your posts.

Dennis

Last edited:
Is it possible to post the audio setup within this "script"? I'd like to try this with Protools. I'm definitely not interested in purchasing Audition.
Seeing this many positive comments about SQ gets my attention. I've only heard it suck.

Not sure what you mean y 'audio set-up', as the decoding is only possible with Audition. Yes, many complain about SQ, but when decoded correctly, a 'properly encoded' album can sound very good

OD

Not sure what you mean y 'audio set-up', as the decoding is only possible with Audition. Yes, many complain about SQ, but when decoded correctly, a 'properly encoded' album can sound very good

OD

I'm guessing it's that "elusive" Center Channel Extractor" , which is where the phase bug plug in comes in!
I've been trying my best to decode SQ on Logic Pro, but , no way , José!!!

>snip< Yes, many complain about SQ, but when decoded correctly, a 'properly encoded' album can sound very good

OD

OD is absolutely right that SQ decoded correctly can sound very good indeed, and he should know.
Though it's also fair to say that the phase issues in the early versions of the SQ script, incredible as they are, might have put a few people off, he seems to have found a way to adress them. As a listener it depends how much you are 'affected' by phase. I know I suffer from an ability to walk into a room and tell you within seconds if the stereo speakers are out of phase (it's akind of OCD!). Often on set-ups where the owner has been happily operating 'out-of-phase' for years. So, if you notice phase keenly, then SQ scripts of the past can be disappointing. As noted elsewhere, the 'phantom' images between speakers can be compromised. Though the phantom images between the side speakers (Lf & Ls, Rf & RS) are not terribly good with SQ no matter what you do. In theory the 'phantom' centre channel should be perfectly stable. The phantom rear also.
What I've discovered is that you have to kind of 'tune in' while you're listening to a decode, in such a way as to mentally tune your ears to a slightly unnatural way of listening. I don't really have a good way to analogise this but imagine if you will the effort required to get a reasonable soundstage tuned exactly in stereo (with your head in the right place!) and multiply that by all axes.
Either that or just enjoy the sound as it comes to you from wherever you are in the sound-stage.
Most older SQ quad mixes are of the 'gimmicky' type anyway (except classical and acoustic recordings) so it sometimes matters not if you're on one side of the room or not otherwise ideally placed. The trick is to find what works for you and go with it. It helps if the soundstage is stable and clear but sometimes, you know, just have fun instead.
OD's SQ 360 script continues to be very enjoyable for me because it clearly dealt with these phase issues (don't ask me how!). Some decodes that previously left me high and dry are now providing enjoyable listens so much that I frequently forget that I'm listening to a decode (surely the very best result and a huge compliment to OD for his work!) though I look forward to the day when he finally decides the rest of the world can have a look at his SQ-FV version. I've got about 70 carefully declicked albums ready and waiting for a definitive decode with about 30 more on file waiting for declicking.

More on the question 'should I declick before decoding?':
I would say yes but be careful. A good reason to declick before you decode is that a big click can interfere with Audition's centre-channel extractor's stability, where you get a glitch in the decode while the extractor 'settles' after a large impulse (AKA a 'transient') like a big click. Unfortunately the same applies to a large impulse that actually should be there (like a drum hit) and this, for me, continues to be the achilles heel of the computer decodes, yes even OD's SQ-FV which I have heard a few examples of. This isn't something that OD or anyone else can cure for the time being AFAICT, because it's a factor of the Centre Channel Extractor's 'underhang'. You can sometimes clearly hear elements of a transient before the transient's intended start time (some people call this effect 'smearing'). These elements are generated by the extractor not the script.
The reason not to declick is correspondingly obvious: you might tamper with phase information by flattening out a big glitch or click, and the decode would then be unable to place the audio correctly during the glitch.
What I've found in practice is that smaller clicks and light crackle can be treated safely before the decode (reducing overall work) on the grounds that the clicks are of such short duration that they wouldn't have affected the decode anyway, nor will their removal. For larger bumps and thumps, you need to be careful, perhaps operating only in certain frequency ranges for a declick, and being clever with channel cancellation for, say very low frequencies of the glitch. I wish there was a very simple way but as always it's down to trial and error, and no little time spent getting to know your own system's idiosyncrasies.

OD's latest scripts appear, at least to this listener, to be just about the best possible way to decode with a computer. Come on OD, how about letting the cat out of the bag now? If not for me, for everyone else out there. Life's too short.

OD is absolutely right that SQ decoded correctly can sound very good indeed, and he should know.
Though it's also fair to say that the phase issues in the early versions of the SQ script, incredible as they are, might have put a few people off, he seems to have found a way to adress them.

Though the phantom images between the side speakers (Lf & Ls, Rf & RS) are not terribly good with SQ no matter what you do. In theory the 'phantom' centre channel should be perfectly stable. The phantom rear also.

OD's SQ 360 script continues to be very enjoyable for me because it clearly dealt with these phase issues (don't ask me how!). Some decodes that previously left me high and dry are now providing enjoyable listens so much that I frequently forget that I'm listening to a decode (surely the very best result and a huge compliment to OD for his work!) though I look forward to the day when he finally decides the rest of the world can have a look at his SQ-FV version. I've got about 70 carefully declicked albums ready and waiting for a definitive decode with about 30 more on file waiting for declicking.

OD's latest scripts appear, at least to this listener, to be just about the best possible way to decode with a computer. Come on OD, how about letting the cat out of the bag now? If not for me, for everyone else out there. Life's too short.

Well, i'll deal with each section seperatley:

1, One of the biggest problems i've had is dealing with the phase problems, and even now with the new (yet un-named) script i'm still fighting the fight.

2, The side images have (hopefully) been improved a bit in the new script

3, It really annoys me that dear old SQ360 is still the benchmark, as my attempts to deal with certain issues via SQ-Fv1 -4 (which stood for Final Version yea right!!!!) drove me nuts, so SQ-Fv is scrapped. I decided to start afresh, and deal with every issue BEFORE releasing another album.

4, Making the scripts available was becoming an issue in itself, as the scripts are just part of an ever growing 'process', and to just use the scripts will not get you same the results Romanotrax and i are able to get. While working on the script, i'm also planning an additional step BEFORE decoding ANY matrix encoded album (sorry Bob, i think i did warn you i was up to something LOL). This step is even more involved, and i think few will be able to do it.

So, that's where it is at the moment. Have an annoying phase issue to deal with, then it "might" be time for final testing.............

OD

I mean how the audio is routed so I can see whatever phase tricks are being used to decode this. Not everyone has or wants to buy Audition you know. Audition is just a DAW - there are others. How's the mixer set up for this? Details please!

What mixer? The decoding is using phase extraction using the afore mentioned CCE

Though it's also fair to say that the phase issues in the early versions of the SQ script, incredible as they are, might have put a few people off, he seems to have found a way to adress them. As a listener it depends how much you are 'affected' by phase. I know I suffer from an ability to walk into a room and tell you within seconds if the stereo speakers are out of phase (it's akind of OCD!). Often on set-ups where the owner has been happily operating 'out-of-phase' for years. So, if you notice phase keenly, then SQ scripts of the past can be disappointing. As noted elsewhere, the 'phantom' images between speakers can be compromised. Though the phantom images between the side speakers (Lf & Ls, Rf & RS) are not terribly good with SQ no matter what you do. In theory the 'phantom' centre channel should be perfectly stable. The phantom rear also.
What I've discovered is that you have to kind of 'tune in' while you're listening to a decode, in such a way as to mentally tune your ears to a slightly unnatural way of listening. I don't really have a good way to analogise this but imagine if you will the effort required to get a reasonable soundstage tuned exactly in stereo (with your head in the right place!) and multiply that by all axes.
Either that or just enjoy the sound as it comes to you from wherever you are in the sound-stage.
Most older SQ quad mixes are of the 'gimmicky' type anyway (except classical and acoustic recordings) so it sometimes matters not if you're on one side of the room or not otherwise ideally placed. The trick is to find what works for you and go with it. It helps if the soundstage is stable and clear but sometimes, you know, just have fun instead.

More on the question 'should I declick before decoding?':
I would say yes but be careful. A good reason to declick before you decode is that a big click can interfere with Audition's centre-channel extractor's stability, where you get a glitch in the decode while the extractor 'settles' after a large impulse (AKA a 'transient') like a big click. Unfortunately the same applies to a large impulse that actually should be there (like a drum hit) and this, for me, continues to be the achilles heel of the computer decodes, yes even OD's SQ-FV which I have heard a few examples of. This isn't something that OD or anyone else can cure for the time being AFAICT, because it's a factor of the Centre Channel Extractor's 'underhang'. You can sometimes clearly hear elements of a transient before the transient's intended start time (some people call this effect 'smearing'). These elements are generated by the extractor not the script.
The reason not to declick is correspondingly obvious: you might tamper with phase information by flattening out a big glitch or click, and the decode would then be unable to place the audio correctly during the glitch.
What I've found in practice is that smaller clicks and light crackle can be treated safely before the decode (reducing overall work) on the grounds that the clicks are of such short duration that they wouldn't have affected the decode anyway, nor will their removal. For larger bumps and thumps, you need to be careful, perhaps operating only in certain frequency ranges for a declick, and being clever with channel cancellation for, say very low frequencies of the glitch. I wish there was a very simple way but as always it's down to trial and error, and no little time spent getting to know your own system's idiosyncrasies.

I'm affected by phase the same as you - it makes me physically uncomfortable - and I notice many, many commercial CD's and DVD's of pop music have phase issues that lead to center front vocalists being slightly smeared or off-center and it drives me crazy. The worst are "best of" compilations made from 2nd generation tapes that have phase issues. SQ and QS decoded without vector-cancellation logic are unlistenable to me due to the phase issues.

Well, i'll deal with each section seperatley:

1, One of the biggest problems i've had is dealing with the phase problems, and even now with the new (yet un-named) script i'm still fighting the fight.

2, The side images have (hopefully) been improved a bit in the new script

3, It really annoys me that dear old SQ360 is still the benchmark, as my attempts to deal with certain issues via SQ-Fv1 -4 (which stood for Final Version yea right!!!!) drove me nuts, so SQ-Fv is scrapped. I decided to start afresh, and deal with every issue BEFORE releasing another album.

4, Making the scripts available was becoming an issue in itself, as the scripts are just part of an ever growing 'process', and to just use the scripts will not get you same the results Romanotrax and i are able to get. While working on the script, i'm also planning an additional step BEFORE decoding ANY matrix encoded album (sorry Bob, i think i did warn you i was up to something LOL). This step is even more involved, and i think few will be able to do it.

So, that's where it is at the moment. Have an annoying phase issue to deal with, then it "might" be time for final testing.............

The big problem in getting 'perfect' results is that you have to solve four unknowns with only two linear equations, which is impossible because half the info has been 'thrown away' in the SQ encoding, unlike the matrixing in FM stereo or CD-4 where you have the same unknowns as equations, making virtually perfect restoration possible. That's why SQ is known either as a 4-2-4 system or, using the Postion Encoder, an M-2-N system, where numerous 'directions' are encoded down to two channels and decoded back to any number of speaker feeds.

Oxforddickie - I don't know if it would help but have you read these papers? I know there are a lot of them, but perhaps there's something in them that might help you get even more perfection out of your PC decoding.

This first paper is the most important.
http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/synthesis-of-4-2-4-matrix-systems-1?mode=window&viewMode=singlePage

And (the one below is a really good paper)

http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/quadraphonic_matrix_perspective_-_advances_in_sq_e?mode=window&viewMode=singlePage

And

http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/quadraphony-and-spatial-fidelity--small-?mode=window&viewMode=singlePage

And

http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/4-2-...bility-eargle?mode=window&viewMode=singlePage

This link below is the patent for the Tate Automatic Dimension Control used only in the Fosgate 101A - it has all the decoding equations for the matrix multipliers and such:
http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/us45...ontrol_patent?mode=window&viewMode=singlePage

There's 3 more - once called MCS Review Martin Willcocks Reply, one called Advances in SQ Recording Techniques and Advances in the USQ Family by Greg Badger - the "Advances in SQ Recording" outlines the different encoders, including the Position Encoder and shows their encoding modulations. The Greg Badger paper shows how different speaker layouts can be derived from an SQ encoded recording as well as discussing our hearing mechanism. I just uploaded them as PDF's and Issuu is processing them right now so I can't post direct links. But they'll be there on my main page http://issuu.com/disclord in a few minutes.

I hope maybe some of them will help in some way - you've done with PC decoding what I thought would be impossible - achieving basically discrete performance from a lossy matrixed format. And it just keeps getting better.

A formula does not make an error, it just does what its told to do. Remember you're working under the assumption that the albums were recorded, mixed, and pressed perfectly. Just listening in stereo to some albums tells you the results are going to be bad and it varies sooooo greatly from album to album.

It's more the formula is somewhat flawed, there's only so much you can do, and you get to the point where no matter what you do to try and improve it, you get the same results - which is where i am now................

A formula does not make an error, it just does what its told to do. Remember you're working under the assumption that the albums were recorded, mixed, and pressed perfectly. Just listening in stereo to some albums tells you the results are going to be bad and it varies sooooo greatly from album to album.

And how far away the stamper was from the original mother stamper - the best SQ decodes come from LP's that have "A" on the inner wax - "B" can decode OK, but when you get down to "C" you can start to get terrible front to back sibilance splatter and leakage, etc... And the LP was not the best medium, even in its most perfect form, for holding a format that requires precise phase response. And then there are SQ albums like Barbra Streisand Live that seem to have NO rear channel info at all.

Very true, have you checked the phase response of your cartridge and RIAA pre-amp? Quite a shock.

Very true, have you checked the phase response of your cartridge and RIAA pre-amp? Quite a shock.

Yep - decoding Annie or Chase CD's via the Tate is almost like going totally discrete as compared to the LP versions decoding, as good as the Tate is with the LP's. I didn't know the Tate could sound that good or how badly LP's handled phase until I decoded SQ CD's. What a shock.

Of course, it's also the reason some people prefer LP's - they like the added phase error that the not-sufficiently-orthogonal LP groove modulations add to the original signal - they call it "air" when it's really just distortion and not on the master tape. But they never seem to admit that's the reason and usually claim the LP is more "accurate" because it's analog and not 'chopped up digital' (showing they have no understanding of sampling theory). OK, enough catty remarks from me. :)

And that is my answer to people who complain i use CD's to decode over LP's whenever i can, especially classical - i thank EMI for having gone single inventory for so many years.

On a different point, i've started to hate SQ. yes, you heard it right. I used to think QS was the pits, but now (from a decoding point of view) QS is better to deal with.

I'd be really interested in seeing some test info using the SQT1100 test LP through various decoders (preferbly not the tate as i suspect it's good at hiding the problems).

Things like:

Phase response
Chan ID (decoded)

There's a basic problem with SQ is, if you forget about the phase encoding, is that the rears are actually MONO!

If in doubt, here's the basic SQ encoding equation:

Lt = Lf + (0.707 Lb -j) + (0.707 Rb)
Rt = Rf + (-0.707 Lb) + (0.707 R +j)

The problem comes in "decoding" the rears back to stereo. It causes serious phase shifts, which are impossible to correct. This is what i'm up against, and am now in the situation where i have to either keep the Rear Center in phase, but the Rear L & R's seriously out of phase, or bring the L & R's back "nearer-ish" where they should be and have the Rear Center out of phase.

It doesn't matter how you attempt it, it always ends up the same. Sigh...

You don't get this problem with QS

And that is my answer to people who complain i use CD's to decode over LP's whenever i can, especially classical - i thank EMI for having gone single inventory for so many years.

On a different point, i've started to hate SQ. yes, you heard it right. I used to think QS was the pits, but now (from a decoding point of view) QS is better to deal with.

I'd be really interested in seeing some test info using the SQT1100 test LP through various decoders (preferbly not the tate as i suspect it's good at hiding the problems).

Things like:

Phase response
Chan ID (decoded)

There's a basic problem with SQ is, if you forget about the phase encoding, is that the rears are actually MONO!

If in doubt, here's the basic SQ encoding equation:

Lt = Lf + (0.707 Lb -j) + (0.707 Rb)
Rt = Rf + (-0.707 Lb) + (0.707 R +j)

The problem comes in "decoding" the rears back to stereo. It causes serious phase shifts, which are impossible to correct. This is what i'm up against, and am now in the situation where i have to either keep the Rear Center in phase, but the Rear L & R's seriously out of phase, or bring the L & R's back "nearer-ish" where they should be and have the Rear Center out of phase.

It doesn't matter how you attempt it, it always ends up the same. Sigh...

You don't get this problem with QS

You're only looking at the encode equations (it seems to me). Taking it through the full decode produces full stereo fronts and rears with in-phase center front and center back.

Look at the decoded phasors of SQ with a basic matrix (non-blend) decoder - the rears are full stereo and in phase with each other due to the subtraction from each other in the basic decode and center back (which isn't shown - neither is CF) is in phase too. There's just no front to rear separation (or virtually none). The Automatic dimension control patent, the Synthesis of 4-2-4 Matrix Systems paper and the MCS Review reply go into more detail, with the MCS review showing the Energy Sphere for SQ and that the rears are true stereo (since they are 180 degrees apart on the sphere) and CB in phase. The 4-2-4 Matrix Systems Interchangeability paper by John Eargle on my site is also an excellent read regarding SQ (although it deals with only the original 'square' SQ encoder) and also shows the Energy Sphere for the different systems.
Fig-4.jpg

There's no Left Back in Right Back and vise-versa.

There are several (3) versions of QS, I'll try to post the papers - I have one on my site about QS encoding and Vario-Matrix decoding.

I think the problems your running up against with the PC decoding is that the encoding process is 'adaptive' meaning different channels changing dominance as the music changes and therefore, the decoding must be adaptive too, changing the decoders structure as a function of the music.

Martin Willcocks "Surround Sound In the 80's Advances in Decoder Technology" explains it in great detail, but it's a huge 27 page scan that I just haven't gotten the gumption to scan and turn into a PDF for uploading yet. Here's a OCR scan of some of it without the graphics - I tried to keep the equation formatting as correct as possible:
_________
We can consider a surround sound master tape (any number of channels) as a vector signal s(t) having one component for each tape track (a similar requirement applies to any discrete number of source signals). Thus,

s(t) = (s[SUB]1[/SUB] (t), s[SUB]2[/SUB](t), s[SUB]3[/SUB](t), s[SUB]4[/SUB](t))

for a four-track master. Each of the signals is a distinct real function of time, but may be considered as analytic signals having an imaginary part which is equal to the Hilbert transform of its real part. The composite signal is treated as a column vector function of time. It is an element of the source signals vector space spanned by the basis vectors corresponding to unity signals in each of the input channels.
The matrix encoding process is represented by a complex matrix E which is generally time-invariant, although exceptions are possible. The transformation has both real and imaginary components, and since it typically encodes four channels into two, it is a complex matrix of dimension 2x4. The imaginary-valued coefficients of this matrix are physically realized by pairs of all-pass phase-shifting networks having a phase difference at all audio frequencies of 90º degrees (within acceptable tolerance limits), one pair for each input channel, the outputs representing the real and imaginary parts of the input signals . It is then a simple matter to apply appropriate gains representing the encoder coefficients and sum the outputs into the various output channels. These pairs of all-pass quadrature networks often occur in audio and communications circuitry where they perform the function of a Hilbert Transformer, or they may be implemented via digital DSP code. An ideal Hilbert Transformer is physically unrealizable.
Representing the encoder output signals as another complex vector function of time,
e(t) = (e[SUB]1[/SUB](t), e[SUB]2[/SUB](t)), we can write the encoding equation as:

e(t) = E s(t)

By similar reasoning, the simple fixed matrix decoder can be represented by another complex matrix D of dimension 4x2, and the decoding equation becomes.

d(t) = D e(t)

Ideally, one would like to have the decoded signals vector represent, as clearly as possible, the input signals to the encoder, if we are considering a matrix system of the kind represented by SQ or QS, where the input signals are “discrete 4-channel”, representing speaker feeds at the four corner locations, and the decoded signals are also intended to be speaker feeds for the same locations in the listening room. This implies that the product of the encoding and decoding matrices should be I[SUB]4[/SUB], the complex identity matrix of dimension 4x4, i.e. we would like to satisfy:

D E = I[SUB]4[/SUB]

This is, of course, mathematically and physically impossible, since both D and E have rank 2, and their product must be a 4x4 matrix of rank 2. In other papers it has been shown that the best decoder is represented by the pseudo-inverse of the encoding matrix. Such a decoder is known as a “matched decoder”, and has the property that:

E D = I[SUB]2[/SUB]

Where I[SUB]2[/SUB] is the 2x2 complex identity matrix. We should note at this point that the decoded signals vector is an element of the decoded signals vector space D which is isomorphous with the source signals vector space S.

2.2 ADAPTIVE DECODING

Using this approach, the solution to the decoding problem at once becomes clear. Since the source signals are time-varying functions, the decoded signals are also time-varying, and contain various proportions of the source signals in the different channels. We define the overall transformation matrix T as a 4x4 complex matrix which is the product of the encoding and decoding transformations,

T = D E

Our aim is, at all times, to make T come as close to I[SUB]4[/SUB] as possible. One way to do this is to directly vary the coefficients of D as a function of information derived from the relative phases and amplitudes of the encoded signals. This is the approach taken in the Sansui QS Vario-Matrix decoder, although the decoder was not formulated this way. Another way to do it is to multiply the decoder output signals vector d(t) by another transformation matrix M(Ø), where Ø is a parameter representing the direction of the predominant source signal present at any time. This is the approach taken in the Directional Enhancement System. The matrix M(Ø) is called the modifying matrix, and its product with d(t) is the modified decoded signals vector m(t). Thus, the Directional Enhancement System is represented by the single equation:

m(t) = M(Ø(t)) d(t)

since Ø is also a time-varying parameter. Then, the overall transformation matrix for azimuth Ø is given by

T[SUB]Ø[/SUB] = M[SUB]Ø[/SUB] D E
And, as the predominant azimuth varies, the complete encode-decode-modify process is represented by:

T(Ø) = M(Ø) D E

Of course, many other types of surround sound decoder can also be represented this way, but the Directional Enhancement System was derived from this analysis, not the other way around. This system as formulated contains a means for determining the value of Ø as a function of the input signals, a means for computing the appropriate values of the coefficients of M(Ø), and a matrix multiplier circuit which performs the multiplication of the decoded signals by the modifying matrix thus derived.
One way in which M(Ø) can be computed is to represent it as a linear combination of different matrices for different directions. It is not hard to compute the correct form for M(Ø) for any specific azimuth Ø from the ideal encoding for Ø on the assumption that the output of the DES, m(t) should be equivalent to the Pair-Wise-Mixed (PWM) input to the encoder corresponding to Ø. This is especially true if the six principle directions for the SQ code, which correspond to the positive and negative X, Y, and Z axes of the energy sphere, are chosen, i.e. the directions CF (0º), CB (180º), LB (225º), RB (135º), RF (45º), and LF (315º). Representing the modifying matrix for azimuth angle Ø by using Ø as a subscript, we can compute the six matrices (fig.-) for these principle directions quite easily. Then the form for M(Ø) is:

M(Ø) = S[SUB]Ø [/SUB]C[SUB]Ø [/SUB]M[SUB]Ø + [/SUB](1 - S C[SUB]Ø[/SUB]) [SUB]Ø[/SUB] I[SUB]4[/SUB]

where the C[SUB]Ø[/SUB] are the directional control factors for the corresponding modifying matrices, and may take values between 0 and 1. If all the C[SUB]Ø[/SUB] are zero, the modifying matrix will become the identity matrix I[SUB]4[/SUB], so that simple matrix decoded signals pass through the system unchanged to the output amplifiers and loudspeakers. Hence we can consider the modifying matrix to be the sum of the identity matrix and a direction-dependent matrix, which we shall define as B[SUB]Ø[/SUB].
The coefficients of the B[SUB]Ø[/SUB] matrices are fixed, and the direction control signals can be determined from the input signals by a direction detection system.
In the DES, the direction detection system works by first normalizing all four input signals from the matrix decoder D using an AGC loop. These signals are matrixed, full-wave rectified, smoothed, and summed to give a reference signal which is set at a suitable level relative to the smoothed outputs and is also used by the AGC loop, and fed to non-linear amplifiers where they are compared with the reference signal. The outputs of these amplifiers are always zero if the input from the rectifier is greater than the reference, but increases linearly to a voltage representing unity coefficient factor as the rectifier output falls from the reference level to just above zero, then limits at unity level as the rectifier output falls from this level to zero.
The proper choice of reference level is that which ensures that no more than two of the rectifier outputs will fall below it when any ideally encoded signal corresponding to a single sound source at any horizontal azimuth is applied to the decoder input preceding the DES. The correct choice of gain for the linear region of the comparison amplifiers is the gain which will generate outputs from the appropriate comparison amplifiers each equal to half the maximum output when an optimally SQ encoded Center Left signal is presented to the decoder, so that the direction control signals, which are the outputs of the comparison amplifiers, are as given in equation (47) of the patent:

B[SUB]270[/SUB] = 0.5 B[SUB]225[/SUB] + 0.5 B[SUB]315[/SUB]

Which ensures correct decoding of the Center Left signal. Similar results then occur for Center Right and both diagonal splits. It turns out that the sum of the direction control signals is not exactly unity for all possible inputs to the decoder using this directional detection scheme, and additional limiting circuitry, and subject to a separately granted patent, is used to prevent this sum from exceeding unity. This helps to ensure smooth operation of the decoder on a dynamic basis.
The coefficients b[SUB]Ø[/SUB] of the B(Ø) matrix can be implemented in practice by signal combiners in which the control signals C[SUB]Ø[/SUB] are applied as inputs and multiplied by fixed coefficients corresponding to those for each principal direction, then summed to yield the coefficient signals. These in turn are applied to the matrix multiplier section, where the input signals are also added to the matrix product to implement equation (13)
The DES, designed according to the above principles, works very well for static conditions; continuous sinewave inputs corresponding to any azimuth are decoded with near-perfect separation (35-50 db depending on direction). The dynamics of the system are very complex, and require great care to establish the correct attack and decay times for the direction control signals and behavior when complex events occur in the music. In the last commercial implementation of the decoder, the Fosgate Research Tate II 101A Surround Stereo Decoder, much research was required to fine-tune these dynamic characteristics, and Jim Fosgate deserves recognition for his work on these aspects of the DES performance, which were incorporated into an interface circuit external to the IC’s..

Because the DES is capable of recognizing roughly equal signals in each of the X, Y and Z directions of the energy sphere simultaneously, and provides a modifying matrix which increases separation for all the simultaneous signals, it has essentially a three-axis control system (all other adaptive decoders, either before or since, are two-axis and can increase separation for only one direction at a time). The consequence of this is that the DES is hardly ever reduced to the level of a simple fixed matrix decoder, even in complex musical situations, and a very open and spacious decoding effect is the result, with no observable phasiness. Phantom Center Front images are precisely in phase, as are all stereo images across the front stage, so that mislocation and spreading of these images due to relative broadband phase shifts does not occur.

Last edited:
Back