A TRIBUTE TO QUAD's UNSUNG HEROES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some titles I think will have credits on the back covers but that I couldn't find images of:

Ray Conniff - Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song
Ray Conniff - Harmony
Ray Conniff - Laughter in the Rain
Ray Conniff - Love Will Keep Us Together
Ray Conniff - Lovin' You
Ray Conniff - Mandy
Ray Conniff - Send in the Clowns
Ray Conniff - The Happy Sound of Ray Conniff / The Great Hits of Yesterday.
Ray Conniff - Themes from S.W.A.T. and MASH & Others. Columbia
Mac Davis - All the Love in the World
Mac Davis - Thunder in the Afternoon
Percy Faith - Chinatown
Percy Faith - Day by Day
Percy Faith - In Concert [Japan]
Percy Faith - New Thing
Percy Faith - The Entertainer
The Firesign Theatre - Everything You Know Is Wrong
The Firesign Theatre - I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus
Dan Fogelberg - Captured Angel
Johnny Mathis - Love Story [Japan]
Modern Jazz Quartet - The Last Concert
Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Stars And Stripes Forever
Michael Murphy - Swans Against The Sun
New Riders Of The Purple Sage - The Adventures of Panama Red
Charlie Rich - The Best Of
Carlos Santana & Alice Coltrane - Illuminations

CBS titles that don't seem to have back cover info:

Argent - In Deep
Poco - Seven
Mott The Hoople - The Hoople
REO Speedwagon - Lost In A Dream
Minnie Riperton - Adventures In Paradise
Barbra Streisand - Lazy Afternoon
Barbra Streisand - Butterfly (neither of these seem to have back cover credits)

A lot of WEA titles either have no credits on the back, or no quad mixing credits. I wonder if this means the quad mixes were done by the same people as the stereo mixes. These include:

America - Holiday
America - Hearts
Bread - Baby I'm A Want You
Bread - The Best Of (SACD has no quad mix credit either)
Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky
Judy Collins - Colors Of The Day
Judy Collins - Judith
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Alice Cooper - Muscle Of Love
Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street
Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits
Doobie Brothers - Stampede
Bob Dylan - Planet Waves
Eagles - On The Border
Eagles - One Of These Nights (I'm assuming Bill Szymczyk did both Eagles titles)
David Gates - First
David Gates - Never Let Her Go
Graham Central Station - Self-Titled
Graham Central Station - Ain't No Bout-A-Doubt-It
Arlo Guthrie - Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys (this one just says 'remixed at WB studios' but with no individual credit)
James Gang - Miami
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
Gordon Lightfoot - Cold On The Shoulder
Sergio Mendes - Self-Titled
Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Mickey Newbury - Frisco Mabel Joy
Randy Newman - Sail Away
Randy Newman - Good Ol' Boys
Tony Orlando - He Don't Love You
Tony Orlando - To Be With You
Seals & Crofts - Diamond Girl
Seals & Crofts - Summer Breeze
Seals & Crofts - Unborn Child
Seals & Crofts - I'll Play For You
Carly Simon - Self-Titled
Carly Simon - No Secrets
Carly Simon - Hotcakes
Carly Simon - Playing Possum
Carly Simon - Greatest Hits
Frank Sinatra - Greatest Hits, Vol. 2
Frank Sinatra - My Way
Frank Sinatra - Some Nice Things I've Missed
Frank Sinatra - Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back
Frank Sinatra - The Main Event Live
Souther, Hillman Furay Band - Self-Titled
Souther, Hillman Furay Band - Trouble In Paradise
James Taylor - One Man Dog
James Taylor - Gorilla

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.

I'll probably get around to all those Ray Conniff and Percy Faith SQs in the fulness of time. The Mac Davis' too (though they are tough to find over here and Thunder In The Afternoon is proving impossible anywhere in the world without having one of its corners lopped off which I'd rather avoid)

Fogelberg I have but I can't verify as its one of those annoying situations where they stuffed the Quad LP in a Stereo sleeve.. :rolleyes:

I thought I'd listed all the Johnny Mathis (I have all but the Live SQ) I'll double check..

the Panama Red I already listed (remixed by Norbert Putnam)..

Swans Against The Sun SQ I have, it doesn't credit the remix engineer.

Also I have Argent, Poco Seven, the 2 Barbra's, the REO and the Minnie and none of them credit the Quad mix either.

Last edited:
Johnny Mathis - In Person - Quadraphonic Remix Engineer: Rafeal O. Valentin / Quadraphonic Sound Supervision: Phil Macy
johnnymathis_inperson.jpg

Johnny Mathis - I'm Coming Home - Quadraphonic Re-Mix Engineer: Don Murray / Quadraphonic Sound Supervision: Larry Keyes / Quadraphonic Production: Thom Bell
johnnymathis_imcominghome.jpg

Buddy Miles Express - Booger Bear - Engineer: Michael Stone / Assistant: Lee Kiefer / Quadraphonic Master Produced By Norman Kurban
buddymilesexpress_boogerbear.jpg

Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Climb Every Mountain - Quadraphonic remix engineer: Raymond Moore
mormon_climbeverymountain.jpg

Peter Nero - Summer Of '42 - Quadraphonic Remix Engineer: Don Young / Quadraphonic Sound Supervision: Al Lawrence
peternero_summerof42.jpg

I also think the three Finnadar QuadraDiscs (Eric Saltzman - Wiretap, George Flynn/John Cage - Wound/Winter Music, Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center) were all done by Ilhan Mimaroglu - he's listed as producer, and right below his production credit is listed a CD-4 Mastering Engineer, and also I believe these were single inventory so the quad mix is the only mix.

I think you could also put an entry in for Henry Bush and various stax titles based on that billboard snippet I included on the first page. Given that it was in 1973, he presumably did The Staple Singers 'Be What You Are' and Isaac Hayes 'Shaft' and 'Joy' and maybe 'Live At The Sahara Tahoe' as well. Maybe put 'assisted by Don Young and Al Lawrence? Obviously it's not watertight as to credits but lets not be too stingy with the recognition, right? ;)

Miles Davis - Live-Evil - Quadraphonic Sound Supervision and Remix Engineer: Ray Moore (Source: Ed Bishop's post in this thread.)

A Little Night Music (Original Broadway Cast Album) - Quadraphonic Remix Engineer: Ray Moore / Quadraphonic Sound Supervision: Jay David Saks (Info here.)

Joan Baez - Come In From The Shadows - Quadraphonic Re-Mix: Norbert Putnam
Joan Baez - Diamonds & Rust - Engineered by Bart Chiate / Quad remix done at A&M Studios in Hollywood by Marv Bornstein (note spelling of Bornstein, not Bernstein)

Google Books has scanned every issue of Billboard magazine, and there are tons of articles about quad related things. I pulled the following articles out of an issue from August 9th, 1975. What's interesting is that in retrospect, quad only went downhill after 1975, but the tone of all of these articles is exceedingly positive. After a few years of seemingly decent growth, quad was all but deceased two years after these articles were written.

Promises of David Bowie "definitely" coming out on QuadraDisc in early 1976. Can you imagine quad mixes of either Young Americans or Station To Station? The mind boggles.

cd4_billboard_aug9-75.jpg

An interview with CBS Quad Supervisor Al Lawrence, with with sales figures for quad LPs (140,000 copies of Abraxas sold by that point!) and a bonus mention of Elton John surely to please young Frederick Blue of QuadraphonicQuad.

allawrence_billboard_aug9-75.jpg

An interview with A&M staff engineer Marv Bornstein, who did quad mixes of Rick Wakeman, Cat Stevens, etc.

bronstein_billboard_aug9-75.jpg

Quad sales figures up 100% in a year...and a mention of the Isley Bros. 'The Heat Is On' Q8 and SQ LP. Could quad's great white whale be real!?!?

quad_sales-billboard_aug9-75.jpg

One more:

Verdi - Requiem Mass, in memory of Manzoni (Arroyo, Veasey, Domingo,
Raimondi, Bernstein/London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus) - M2Q-30060 (SQ) [2 LP]/QMA-30060 (Q8) [2 TAPE]

Quadraphonic Remix Engineer: Larry Keyes

Joan Baez - Come In From The Shadows - Quadraphonic Re-Mix: Norbert Putnam
Joan Baez - Diamonds & Rust - Engineered by Bart Chiate / Quad remix done at A&M Studios in Hollywood by Marv Bornstein (note spelling of Bornstein, not Bernstein)

I am aware but no matter what I do Spellcheck keeps correcting all the Bornstein references into Bernstein every time I update the list..!! :yikes

One more:

Verdi - Requiem Mass, in memory of Manzoni (Arroyo, Veasey, Domingo,
Raimondi, Bernstein/London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus) - M2Q-30060 (SQ) [2 LP]/QMA-30060 (Q8) [2 TAPE]

Quadraphonic Remix Engineer: Larry Keyes

Got it, thanks! :upthumb

Larry's on 33 mixes now, still out in front, can Don Young topple him?
Is Don Young still with us? Alive, I mean.. :eek:

Google Books has scanned every issue of Billboard magazine, and there are tons of articles about quad related things. I pulled the following articles out of an issue from August 9th, 1975. What's interesting is that in retrospect, quad only went downhill after 1975, but the tone of all of these articles is exceedingly positive. After a few years of seemingly decent growth, quad was all but deceased two years after these articles were written.

Promises of David Bowie "definitely" coming out on QuadraDisc in early 1976. Can you imagine quad mixes of either Young Americans or Station To Station? The mind boggles.

View attachment 22896

An interview with CBS Quad Supervisor Al Lawrence, with with sales figures for quad LPs (140,000 copies of Abraxas sold by that point!) and a bonus mention of Elton John surely to please young Frederick Blue of QuadraphonicQuad.

View attachment 22897

An interview with A&M staff engineer Marv Bornstein, who did quad mixes of Rick Wakeman, Cat Stevens, etc.

View attachment 22898

Quad sales figures up 100% in a year...and a mention of the Isley Bros. 'The Heat Is On' Q8 and SQ LP. Could quad's great white whale be real!?!?

View attachment 22899

FANTASTIC set of articles!! It does make you wonder how comes with all the upbeat press in 75 it was all over by 78..? WTF happened?

Bowie Quads..! :yikes

Elton Quads! :yikes

(I've heard there were Quad mixes of both of them but whether or not they ever survived in the vaults is another mystery..)

OOH.. that Isleys Heat Quad... we WILL find it one day, we WILL..!! :D

Tony Visconti, mixed David Bowie-Stage (for RCA quadradisc) The dvda liner notes are quite clear about that, his own notes yet.

And Spock Wall gets a credit with Butcher on Paranoid

20151107_084853.jpg20151107_084849.jpg

And Jim Gains w ith an assist by Win Kutz for Fly Like An Eagle

20151107_084901.jpg20151107_084919.jpg

McCartney's Band On The Run and Wings, Venus and Mars are Geoff Emerick and assist Alan O'Duffy, prod.McCartney

20151107_084238.jpg20151107_084227.jpg20151107_084206.jpg20151107_084155.jpg

Brilliant! Thank you fizzy! All added to the list.

fwiw I just checked the BTO Not Fragile DTS CD and for the life of me couldn't find a similar credit to the Quad mix engineer ones inside the Wings DTS CDs.. :(

Any quad remix credits in the DTS CD's of Ohio Players 'Honey' or 'Fire'?

Any quad remix credits in the DTS CD's of Ohio Players 'Honey' or 'Fire'?

Nope :( The Honey DTS says "Recorded and remixed by Barry Mraz".. but neither booklet specifically mentions the Quad remix.. I do now know the astrological Starsigns of each of the members of the Ohio Players so it wasn't a completely wasted effort checking it out..

Quadraphonic remix engineer: Arthur Kendy / Quadraphonic sound supervision: Jay David Saks

Bach - Greatest Hits (Biggs/Casals/Ormandy/Carlos) (MQ 32054)
Tchaikovsky - Greatest Hits (Bernstein/Ormandy) (MQ 32055)
Beethoven - Greatest Hits (MQ 32056)
Mozart - Greatest Hits (MQ 32057)
Chopin - Greatest Hits (MQ 32058)
Strauss - Greatest Hits (Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra) (MQ 32059)

Quadraphonic remix engineers: Robert Gooch, Roy Emerson, Steve Taylor

Vivaldi - Four Concertos ('Zukerman Plays And Conducts') (MQ 32840)

Engineering and quad remix: Bud Graham, Arthur Kendy

Ravel - 'Boulez Conducts Ravel' (Boulez/NY Philharmonic) (MQ 32838)

Quadraphonic remix engineer: Larry Keyes

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 (Watts/Bernstein/NY Philharmonic) (MQ 33071)
Bernstein - Trouble In Tahiti (KMQ 95297)
Bernstein - Dybbuk (Complete Ballet) (MQ 33082)
Mahler - Kindertotenlieder / Symphony No. 10 (Bernstein/NY Philharmonic) (MQ 33532)
Santana - Santana's Greatest Hits (Quadraphonic sound and remix supervision: Al Lawrence)

Quadraphonic remix engineers: Don Puluse, Larry Keyes

Bernstein - Mass (M2Q-31008) [2LP Set]
Bernstein - Highlights From Bernstein's Mass (MQ 31960)

Quadraphonic remix engineer: Ed Michalski

Harry Partch - The World Of Harry Partch (MQ 31227)

Quadraphonic remix engineer: Raymond Moore

Andrew Kazdin/Columbia Brass Ensemble - Antiphonal Music for Four Brass Choirs (MQ-31289)
Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake Ballet Suite (Bernstein/NY Philharmonic) (MQ-30056)
Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture/Romeo & Juliet (fantasy overture) (Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra) (MQ-31276)
Haydn - Bernstein Conducts Haydn (Symphony 93/94) (MQ 32101)
Ravel - Boulez Conducts Ravel (NY Philharmonic) (MQ 32159)
Stravinsky - Petrushka (Boulez/NY Philharmonic) (MQ 31076)
Berlioz - 'Boulez Conducts Berlioz' (Boulez/NY Philharmonic) (MQ 31799)
E. Power Biggs - Bach Organ Favorites, Vol. 5 (MQ 31424)
E. Power Biggs - Bach Organ Favourites, Vol. 6 (MQ 32791)
E. Power Biggs - Scott Joplin (on the Pedal Harpsichord) (MQ 32495)
E. Power Biggs - Scott Joplin (on the Pedal Harpsichord) Vol. 2 (MQ 33205)
E. Power Biggs - Rheinberger: Two Concertos For Organ & Orchestra (MQ 32297)
E. Power Biggs - Four Antiphonal Organs of the Cathedral Of Freiburg Played Simultaneously (MQ 33514)
10 Pianos / 16 Pianists - Monster Concert (MQ 31726)
Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30 (Bernstein/New York Philharmonic) (MQ 30443)
Anthony Newman and Friends - Bach Concerto in D Minor / Haydn Concerto in D Major (MQ 32300)
Copland - Appalachian Spring ('Copland Conducts Copland') (MQ 32736)
Gunther Schuller - Footlifters: A Century Of American Marches (MQ 33513)
Mendelsson - Piano Concertos (Perahia/Mariner & St. Martin In The Fields) (MQ 33207)

Quadraphonic remix engineer: Russ Payne

Charles Ives - Old Songs Deranged: Music For Theater Orchestra (MQ 32969)
Beverly Sills / Andre Kostelanetz - Plaisir D'Amour (MQ33933)

Quadraphonic remix engineer: Mike Ross-Trevor

John Williams / Andre Previn - Guitar Concerto / Concierto del Sur (MQ 31963)
Boulez - Le marteau sans maitre / Livre pour Cordes 'Boulez Conducts Boulez' (MQ 32160)
Vivaldi - Zukerman Plays And Conducts Four Vivaldi Concertos (MQ 32230)
Mozart - Violin Concerto No. 2 / Adagio In E Major / Rondo In C & B Flat Major (Zukerman/Barenboim) (MQ 33206)
Elgar - The Five Pomp & Circumstance Marches / Imperial March / Crown Of India Suite (Barenboim) (MQ 32936)
Sergio & Eduardo Abreu - 2 Concertos For 2 Guitars by Castelnuovo, Tedesco & Santorsola (MQ 32232)

Quadraphonic Engineer: Carson Taylor

Various Artists - Great Songs Of Bacharach And David
Various Artists - The New Country-Pop Favourites
San Fernando Brass - The New Brass Sound Of The Hits

Quadraphonic remix engineer: Don Young

Bach - The Six Brandenburg Concertos (Anthony Newman And Friends) (M2Q 31398)
Mozart/Stamitz - Sinfonia Concertante (Stern/Zukerman/Barenboim) (MQ-31369)
Ferdinand "Jelly Roll Morton - Some Rags Some Stomps & a Little Blues/Transcriptions for Orchestra (Hyman/Venuti) (MQ 32587)

Last edited:
New Riders Of The Purple Sage - The Adventures Of Panama Red (1974) - Quadraphonic remix engineer: Norbert Putnam

New Riders Of The Purple Sage - The Adventures Of Panama Red (1974) - Quadraphonic remix engineer: Norbert Putnam

Haha.. You're just checking to see if anybody's paying attention now.. ;)

Its a distinctly average disc btw.. well I don't like the music, the mix, the fidelity.. but I digress.. :eek:

Back