Adobe Audition 2 QS decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucanu

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Cabras, Sardinia, Italy, Europe, World, Solar syst
Ok, I was trying to implement the "old" script onto AA2.0, but with no luck.... (there's something strange there because it can't save my own parameters of phase shifting during the script).

But, because my mind is completely gone, I made a brand new decoding method with AA2.0.

System requirements: you need a very good pc and a mch sound card which supports ASIO 1.0/2.0
If your pc is not powerful or you don't have a ASIO mch sound card with you, don't worry, there's a chance for you too :D at the end of my thread.

I'll attach a .zip with a session file to use in multitrack mode.
The first track is called Front QS and must be set in output as "front channels"; ditto for Rear QS but set as "rear channels".
By default it is set for my Audigy Platinum 1.0

Now, you can import a wave, mp3 or whatever into tracks.
Tracks 1 and 2 "MUST" have the same file into it; you can simply do that by importing an audio file and insert in both tracks.

If everything is OK, when you press play you'll hear a decoded quad sound.

Now, for those who don't have a good pc or a ASIO card you can do the same things, but you must set the outputs of the tracks in stereo.
As the 1.5 version of Audition you still have the "Multichannel Encoder", which is Ctrl+E.
There you must set track 1 as L+R stereo anf track 2 as Ls+Rs stereo.
Then you can export the file the way you think is better.

Oh...that's the file....

Last edited:
Amazing.... I had to up the buffers on my card by it sounds excellent!!!

Hi,
Can someone tell me what hardware and software I would need to run the SQ script please and how would I save the output permantly.
sorry for the dumb question but I'm new to all this !

Hey... Welcome to the forum!!

There are actually 2 different scripts for decoding SQ. One for Audition 1.5 and one Audition 2.0. So, depending on the script you have, you need the appropirate program. The two programs handle things differently. My choice right now is the Audition 2.0 script. It is faster for decoding and does a fabulous job! The 1.5 script can take around 6 hours to decode an entire album if you have a relatively powerful computer. The 2.0 script is much faster (on my first try a 37 minute album took about 3 hours or so).

The instructions on how to use the script are available with the script so just follow the steps and voila you have nicely decoded SQ quad.

You will start with 3 files that are exactly the same (front, rear, and a temp file). When you are done you will have 3 decoded files. Throw the temp away. Just save them to your hard drive.

In order to playback the SQ decoded quad files simultaneously you can again use Audition. You will need a soundcard that is able to output at least front and rear signals to an amplifier. I am not sure if the signals can be directed to front and rear via a digital output. In my particular case I have a soundcard (Terratec Phase 88 - $300) that has 8 analog ins and outs plus digital in and out. That is connected to my Sony receiver/amp that has multichannel analog in for DVD-A or SACD listening.

In order to burn the files to cd you will also need Surcode DTS encoder. This will take your 44.1k front and rear wavs and encode them to DTS so you can then burn them to cd and listen to them on any home theater with a digital setup.

If you do a search on soundcard or start here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4750&highlight=soundcard you will get a pretty good idea of what is out there. If you have any questions about Audition or the SQ or QS scripts just ask.

Hi thanks for that and for making me feel welcome.
I often wondered if you coud decode SQ in software and here's my answer.
I've had SQ records since about '75 when I got Mike Oldfields Boxed, I've got two sony decoders gathering dust now !. I made my owne from a kit with a motorla chip (1310 ?) lots of years ago but it hissed from the back right.
I had a good think about what is going on and I've downloaded the ASIO documentation from the steinberg site and I think I'll have a go. My PC has a 8.1 (!!) sound card, pentium 4 HT and 512 mb of memory (a medion 8083 if interested) so I think id the card supports ASIO I'm going to have a go at this.
I've been a programmer since '82 so i'm not easily intimated.
In hgh level terms we make a copy ofthye input to provide our basic 4 channels, read both the files and apply the required phase shifts and mixing, then save out 4 channles from the code and hey presto. (sounds easy if I type fast).
I'm very gratefull to the people who posted the SQ and QS tests at least I'll know if I'm the right track.
If I can't get my little project not to worry I'll have learnt something about sound.
The Adobe software looks a little too expensive for me just for this - so with nessasity being the mother of invention off we go !
Regards
Kevin

Lucanu said:
I have tried to do SQ decoding the same way for QS, but this one requires even more power than the other one.
So I'll attach it just for experimental.
If you can tweak it a little more that will be fine for me.

OK Guys, I have not tried this in some time, and I have forgotten the process.

To use this session file, I open it in AA2.0. I take my stereo wav file that is SQ encoded from LP, I copy it twice, call the files FRONT.WAV, REAR.WAV, and TEMP.WAV. I put these in the C:\SQ folder, then import them into AA2.0.

Then what?? I'm lost again - which is nothing new! ;)

:mad:@:

If you are using a script:

Your original stereo wave will be copied to FRONT REAR and TEMP in the SQ folder that you choose. You can change the name of the folder by editing the script. Once you have all three you can close all wavs.

After you edit the name of the folder in the script you can then run the script. The AA2.0 script takes about half the time of the 1.5 script so for an entire album it should takes about 3 - 4 hours depending on the power of your computer.

If you are trying the session method, you can open the session and just import the stereo wav into the front and rear tracks. Set your soundcard outputs and press play. You may have to up your buffers. The SQ session sounds kind of watery in the rears. The AA2.0 SQ script is excellent to my ears.

Do you have the latest AA2.0 script?

This is my last creature.....

Two .ses files to playback SQ or QS samples in quad.
You need a ASIO playback card set up correctly, maybe you have to add some buffers to playback without crackles...

BTW, same procedure as described at the start of this thread, but now you have the latest ses files, with a better separation for QS (for both channels) and a good, fast, reliable on-the-fly SQ "decoder", with at least 16dB of separation.

SQ ses file is NOT a good decoding method but it's a very good playback one. So, for those who want to decode SQ samples, just choose the script.

Last edited:
where can i find the script for AA 1.5?

I wanted to bump this thread up, as I would like to know the same thing. I tried downloading "sq live decoding final.zip" but the only thing in the zip file is a .ses file. Is there supposed to also be a .scp file? Would this download even work in AA 1.5?

Thanks in advance for any response!

J. D.

Back