ALL ABOUT MUSIC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
History has made "Bohemian Rhapsody" THE track from "A Night At The Opera" but is there anybody other than me who feels "The Prophet's Song" is at least as good? Mercury's round-like, call and answer sequence in the middle is incredible.

I remember when I bought the record and listened to it the first time thinking that "The Prophet's Song" was probably going to be the album highlight because it is so masterful and then, of course, it got to "Bohemian Rhapsody" and I had to rethink.

And then, you also have 'Love Of My Life" in between the two. In my estimation, as much as I love other Queen stuff like the black (2nd) side of Queen II, and, well, there's just a lot of the early material, that side of "A Night At The Opera" was the apex of Queen's carreer.

Doug

History has made "Bohemian Rhapsody" THE track from "A Night At The Opera" but is there anybody other than me who feels "The Prophet's Song" is at least as good? Mercury's round-like, call and answer sequence in the middle is incredible.

I remember when I bought the record and listened to it the first time thinking that "The Prophet's Song" was probably going to be the album highlight because it is so masterful and then, of course, it got to "Bohemian Rhapsody" and I had to rethink.

And then, you also have 'Love Of My Life" in between the two. In my estimation, as much as I love other Queen stuff like the black (2nd) side of Queen II, and, well, there's just a lot of the early material, that side of "A Night At The Opera" was the apex of Queen's carreer.

Doug

I love "Prophet's Song" but would put "Rhapsody" in another league. It is so startlingly original and bold that even after all these years and ubiquitous airplay it can still "send shivers down my spine". Hell, the whole album is absurdly brilliant, diverse, daring and original. Darn near perfect in my view.

Great question! (y)

Though one I'm not sure I can answer I'll give it a go! Prophet's Song is just as tremendously epic as Bo Rhap and I love it though the latter's Freddie's absolute masterpiece, the way he pieced it all together literal bit by bit, the band didn't know what he was doing and I'm not sure Fred did but they went along with it and what a weird wondrous suite it is.. such genius! Has there ever been anything like it since!? Was there ever anything like it before? Naah..! I can't say I have a huge amount of time for a chunk of the album now, I've overdosed on it (heresy to some I'm sure) but John & Roger's stuff I could take or leave nowadays (there was a time I felt quite differently) but the highlights ohh.. Love Of My Life, 39, Sweet Lady, Death On Two Legs and the aforementioned stunners., just mind-blowing.

Thibking on.. I love so much off just about every album that came before & after ANATO too.. I spose its a bit like their Sgt.Pepper's or Yellow Brick Rd in as much as its their biggest/most well-known in a lot of people's eyes but there's so much on their other records that's equally incredible, if not better, its just impossible!

For reasons I'm not sure myself (!) I don't play the 1st album these days but the rest I play more (and lately I don't get so upset about Fred, playing his music in the 90's was almost a no-no.. I'd just be too upset) fwiw my faves off the 70's LPs are....
II (Father To Son, Ogre Battle, Fairy Feller's Master Stroke, March Of The Black Queen, Seven Seas..),
SHA (Brighton Rock, Killer Queen, Now I'm Here, Flick Of The Wrist, Misfire, Lily Of The Valley, Stone Cold Crazy),
ADATR (just about everything, I can probably skip Teo Torriate & Drowse),
NOTW (again the whole thing, Sidewalk & Who Needs You I can get by without)
and Jazz (Let Me Entertain You, Leave On Time, Don't Stop Me Now, Mustsapha, Jealousy, If You Can't Beat Em, Bicycle Race.. Fat Bottomed Girls I can't be bothered with anymore and the rest is spotty) but what a sensational body of work they produced.. particularly my beloved Fred. I'm going for a fag and a drink now in his honour, see you in a bit! :)

Along with this, I saw Queen in March of 1976 in St. Paul after "A Night At The Opera" had been released in Novemeber of 1975, I believe.

We got to the Civic Center and the guy at the door said there had been a scheduling error and there was a hockey game there (I, personally, cannot imagine Queen being bumped for a damn hockey game) and Queen was to play at the neighboring theater. I grabbed Pam's hand and said, "We need to go now!" We ran over to the theater and got about 3rd row seats and so we were pretty much right in front of Freddie and his incredible performance.

In that theater, they were just as loud as Led Zeppelin which I, of course, loved.

Doug

Pop Market has an interesting sale item today...it's Ed Sullivan's expansive ROCK AND ROLL CLASSIC DVD collection...12..that is TWELVE DVD's of the classic performance on that show..like the Doors...Beatles...for $119.99(you might have to sign up to see the price) HERE
I own this collection plus a few of their other DVDs. It really is a great collection of performances, many of which I remember watching on TV when they originally aired. There are some duplicates among the discs, or maybe that's just the case with the others included in my collection. It's worth it just to watch Mick Jagger roll his eyes when he sings "Let's spend some time together", the lyric change Ed insisted on.

There are always dumbas* "intellectuals" waiting to revise history. Those of us who were there know what happened.

I certainly never even entertained the thought of wearing my hair like that until the Beatles appeared.

So, Mr. Historian, stick it.

Doug

Just what the world needs: another post-modern revisionist historian. :rolleyes:

I haven't read the book so perhaps I shouldn't comment, but the synopsis and review prolly tell the tale. I'm sure you can pick apart any facet of the The Beatles and say they weren't the first nor original, however, once you've taken the totality of what they were and what they brought to the world at large, they indeed were the first and quite original. :banana:

On a snowy night, when the cable/satellite is out but you still have power, hunker down and watch "The Complete Beatles" (MGM VHS or LD), then immediately watch "All You Need is Cash" (The Rutles - VHS-LD-DVD)

It's remarkable, and you will complete your evenings video journey with a smile and humming a tune.

If you ever get a chance watch THE BEATLES ON RECORD...I recorded if off of the History Channel...it was produced in 2009..1 hour show that is incredible and shows the Beatles in the studio and a lot of commentary by George Martin...not a boring documentary type of feature...

On a snowy night, when the cable/satellite is out but you still have power, hunker down and watch "The Complete Beatles" (MGM VHS or LD), then immediately watch "All You Need is Cash" (The Rutles - VHS-LD-DVD)

It's remarkable, and you will complete your evenings video journey with a smile and humming a tune.

I'm assuming you are getting that "snow" now..

Yes, it's a treat watching them back to back. It's rather uncanny how effective the Rutles were at replicating and parodying much of the classic footage found in "The Compleat Beatles". I remain shocked...and stunned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back