Another Noob

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlarJotunn

Hello. I recently picked up a functional Panasonic RE 7644 demodulator at a thrift store, effectively marking my entry into the world of quadraphonic sound. I still need to get a second amp and set of speakers before I can start listening, but I think I will try to get some quad headphones first, so I can hear some right away. My plan is for my full setup to include my current Technics SL 1650 TT, with two amps and two nice big pairs of vintage speakers (I currently have a pair of Fishers, but I think I want to separate my stereo and quad setups, so I'll need to find two more pairs.) Eventually I will get a Q8 player so I can hear Walls And Bridges, Band On The Run, Autobahn, and Moody Blues quad releases. CD-4 and QR seem to be a bit expensive so I'll probably live without those for a while. I don't own any quad records yet other than the "hidden quad" Beach Boys LPs, but I'm sure I'll be able to acquire some very shortly, perhaps at the OC Record Show this weekend.

All that said, I am very happy to come across such a friendly forum. (Quite a contrast to all those hostile audiophile warzones!) I would greatly appreciate any adivice, suggestions, or questions. Thanks but no thanks in advance to anyone who suggests I opt for SACD/DVDA surround sound in favor of pricey, faulty vintage equipment. I realize this would be the sensible option, but I've already fallen for vintage. I will get those someday though, as I celebrate all formats I can, currently LP, Cassette Tape, 8 Track, CD, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, and soon to be included, Matrix Quadraphonic LPs. Thanks again!

--Matt

Welcome to the wonderful world of Quad. On this forum you will find persons with knowledge of almost any facet this fascinating subject.
As for equipment, there are many sources, from yard sales to EBay. I have purchased many of my quad devices from EBay and then had them checked out by a local electronics repair shop. I have also done some business with QuadBob, whom is very knowledgeable about all things quad.
Again, welcome to Quad. May you find it as rewarding as I and my fellow quadraholics have.

MTGC (Michael)

Thanks! Fortunately, I happen to live in the same city as Bob, and apparantly few other quadraphiles, so I will have some of the best help possible as I set up my quad system and library.

Back