Anyone find a way to copy SACD ????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kvadro

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Anyone find (or knows) a way to copy SACD ????

:steering: :steering: :steering: :steering:

kvadro said:
Anyone find (or knows) a way to copy SACD ????

:steering: :steering: :steering: :steering:
Impossible as far as I know. Wouldn't you need a blank SACD?

Apparantly Sony and a couple of others are working on this, but there's nothing as yet, nor I suspect will there be until A PC drive emerges that can at least read DSD. Then there'd be another wait until the writers emerge... if they ever do.

I'm not holding my breath. It's looking increasingly likely that Sony themselves are close to giving up on SACD as a format -that lack of DSD in Blu-ray's provisionally announced specs says it all really. Have a look at our contributer Patrick Cleasby's column in this months' Hifi World magazine.
Not that DVD-A is doing expecially well either of course. Combined with SACD sales have soared to the dizzy heights of ... oh, about 1/3 of vinyl.
Here we go again.
I do hope this is wrong.

Scottmoose said:
Apparantly Sony and a couple of others are working on this, but there's nothing as yet, nor I suspect will there be until A PC drive emerges that can at least read DSD. Then there'd be another wait until the writers emerge... if they ever do.

Physically, a SACD is just a combo of a reflective cd-layer and a semi-reflective dvd layer, so nothing special about *physical* reading. What is needed is to know *how* to handle the data stored. In theory a single-layer dvdr could be a good support to copy a single layer (without the redbook cd specs) SACD.
On this, SACD is just too late in the game: dvd-a has already made its way on the PC consumer world with three apps (the Discwelder family, the Sonic family and Steinberg Wavelab) while SACD is relegated only to audio-pro plugin. Big difference.

This is how you copy SACD multichannel. You get a 4 channel tape recorder and a two channel. You output all 5.1 channels to analogue tape. Then you burn a DVD-A!!!

Or one coud hook up the SACD player to a computer and record them at DVD-A quality one at a time, then sync them all up and burn a DVD-A.
I don't see why this wouldn't work, and it'd be cheap (about as cheap as it gets I'd think)
Ryan

Nova74 said:
Or one coud hook up the SACD player to a computer and record them at DVD-A quality one at a time, then sync them all up and burn a DVD-A.
I don't see why this wouldn't work, and it'd be cheap (about as cheap as it gets I'd think)
Ryan

if you go the analog way just use a mch card and record all 6 tracks at the same time...

winopener said:
if you go the analog way just use a mch card and record all 6 tracks at the same time...

I have quite a few SACD 'rips' that were done just that way.

Ya know? Why don't we just BUY these things so they may stay around for a while. If you own the discs and want to make copies for your car DVD-A player of something, that seems OK to me as long as it's for your own personal use.

However, let's not get into the gray area of music trading or bootlegging here at QQ.

I think this topic has run its course.

THANKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back