Atlantic Records Celebrates Its 75th Anniversary With Special LPs and SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is SACD even a valid format nowadays for focusing new manufacturing dollars? Was it ever a great idea, in hindsight, based on sales at SACD's peak (which we are not at right now)? I'd think focusing on bluray releases, with bluray players being much more ubiquitous, would be a better use of time and money for future lossless releases.

Is SACD even a valid format nowadays for focusing new manufacturing dollars? Was it ever a great idea, in hindsight, based on sales at SACD's peak (which we are not at right now)? I'd think focusing on bluray releases, with bluray players being much more ubiquitous, would be a better use of time and money for future lossless releases.

I think this was discussed elsewhere - the licensing fees are higher with Blu-ray.

So hybrid SACDs are actually the cheaper option.

I think this was discussed elsewhere - the licensing fees are higher with Blu-ray.

So hybrid SACDs are actually the cheaper option.
If true I would understand that possibility playing into continuing the format. It would depend on just how much more expensive. A few cents or dollars /unit?

Does SACD sales volume necessitate building, resurrecting, or retooling factories though?

If true I would understand that possibility playing into continuing the format. It would depend on just how much more expensive. A few cents or dollars /unit?

Does SACD sales volume necessitate building, resurrecting, or retooling factories though?

Probably not (though I bet the delays AS has seen around the Steely Dan SACDs is at least partially caused by the limited number of pressing factories and production queues).

All Blu-rays and SACDs are certainly coming out of the same factories...

i thought the majority of BDs were manufactured in Germany while SACDs are all now pressed solely in Sony's facility in Austria? 🤔

edit: i do however have many dodgy thoughts 😅😋
Well, most people either go to Sonopress or Sony, And Sonopress does it in Germany while Sony does it in Austria. Both companies offer SACD and Blu-ray, and Sonopress still offers DualDisc, although I suppose QQ will crucify me if I even publish in THAT format.

Well, most people either go to Sonopress or Sony, And Sonopress does it in Germany while Sony does it in Austria. Both companies offer SACD and Blu-ray, and Sonopress still offers DualDisc, although I suppose QQ will crucify me if I even publish in THAT format.
who's getting their SACDs pressed in Germany nowadays? all i ever see on them now is "Made in Austria"!? 🤷🏻‍♀️👀
unless i'm looking in the wrong places, which is a distinct possibility! 🤣😅

who's getting their SACDs pressed in Germany nowadays? all i ever see on them now is "Made in Austria"!? 🤷🏻‍♀️👀

Yes there is a "Former" Sony Factory there
that are the makers of SACD Multi Channel.

All of the UK Watford based company
use that Austria Factory.

And all others are now made in Japan.

Apple's purchase of classical label, BIS of Sweden, may free up SACD production capability. BIS is one of the world's top SACD producers....I have seen BIS released as many as over 90 SACD titles in one calendar year. My guess is that Apple will cease production of new BIS titles on CD and SACD....and therefore freeing up SACD production capabilities for other SACD releases.

MoFi occasionally has its SACD pressed by Sonopress in Germany. I noticed on the outer sleeve of the recently released Whitney Houston "Whitney" SACD, it says the disc was pressed in Germany (Sonopress). However, on the SACD itself, it says "Made in Austria" (Sony DADC).

Yes there is a "Former" Sony Factory there
that are the makers of SACD Multi Channel.

All of the UK Watford based company
use that Austria Factory.

And all others are now made in Japan.

The SACD production facility in Germany is Arvato/Sonopress. It used to be part of the Sony/BMG alliance, but they have gone their separate ways a number of years ago.

Currently, there are only 3 SACD pressing facilities in the world....Arvato/Sonopress in Germany, Sony DADC in Austria, and Sony DADC in Japan.

I would imagine, at the height of DVD or CD popularity, each of these plants can press hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of discs each month. However, who knows whether that production capability is still available today?

Also, don't forget, a certain amount of production capabilities is taken up by re-pressing of previously released titles. I get emails from Music Direct and MoFi about SACD titles being available again due to new pressings.

Last edited:
Apple's purchase of classical label, BIS of Sweden, may free up SACD production capability. BIS is one of the world's top SACD producers....I have seen BIS released as many as over 90 SACD titles in one calendar year. My guess is that Apple will cease production of new BIS titles on CD and SACD....and therefore freeing up SACD production capabilities for other SACD releases.

I really hope they don't do that, since I love BIS's SACDs. But I fear that eventually this will happen.

Back