Bay Area SACD party

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaSlug

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I just heard on ALICE (a radio station) that they are having a SACD listening party at the Good Guys in Concord next Sat (11/20). There will be free Elton John SACD samplers... I couldn't find anything on ALICE's web site, so I have e-mailed them and hope to have more information (like the time) later.

BananaSlug said:
I just heard on ALICE (a radio station) that they are having a SACD listening party at the Good Guys in Concord next Sat (11/20). There will be free Elton John SACD samplers... I couldn't find anything on ALICE's web site, so I have e-mailed them and hope to have more information (like the time) later.

Ah, so the Elton John SACD marketing effort begins! See http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=16388941 for details.

Nothing like having marketing events when the product is not in the stores! :(

I hope this works, I'd love to see more people hear these fantastic discs. PS - How could they leave Rocket Man off the sampler?

Thanks for the heads up. Concord is a long drive for me. I will have to see what else is happening that weekend before I will decide to go or not.

JonUrban said:
Nothing like having marketing events when the product is not in the stores! :(

I hope this works, I'd love to see more people hear these fantastic discs. PS - How could they leave Rocket Man off the sampler?

Well, they are certainly in the Tower Records stores in these parts. In fact, I saw just about all of the Universal Music SACDs out this week at the San Mateo Tower Records store !

The Marin Tower also has a very good selection. These days I'm more concerned with price than finding product. Since none of the recent releases are music that I would normally buy, I'm happy to wait 2-3 days and save $5 - $6 per disc by ordering online.

I did just finish a two year stint in Ann Arbor, MI (grad school), so I understand when others complain about availability. In Ann Arbor is was either the handful of random discs at Circuit City or the slightly better selection at Best Buy. Ann Arbor is a college town without a proper record store!! (although that isn't very high on my long list of reasons to be back in the Bay Area)

BananaSlug said:
The Marin Tower also has a very good selection. These days I'm more concerned with price than finding product. Since none of the recent releases are music that I would normally buy, I'm happy to wait 2-3 days and save $5 - $6 per disc by ordering online.

I did just finish a two year stint in Ann Arbor, MI (grad school), so I understand when others complain about availability. In Ann Arbor is was either the handful of random discs at Circuit City or the slightly better selection at Best Buy. Ann Arbor is a college town without a proper record store!! (although that isn't very high on my long list of reasons to be back in the Bay Area)

I'd recommend the San Mateo and Mountain View Tower Records stores. Both have a good selection of SACDs as well.

Back