Beach Boys Albums in SHM-SACD from Universal Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The 6 Beach Boys albums released on Single Layer, SHM-SACDs by Universal Japan are now available and reviews are starting to come in.

Beach Boys in SHM-SACD - 75p.jpg

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?term.media_format=&q=Beach+Boys+SHM-SACD

I've got Shut Down Vol. 2 on the way and already received Summer Days (mono) which sounds excellent. I hope that Shut Down Vol. 2 is stereo. Also have Summer Days on the way in platinum SHM CD.... probably could have just gone with the SHM CD but oh well, just another $5.

I've got Shut Down Vol. 2 on the way and already received Summer Days (mono) which sounds excellent. I hope that Shut Down Vol. 2 is stereo. Also have Summer Days on the way in platinum SHM CD.... probably could have just gone with the SHM CD but oh well, just another $5.

According to posts on the Steve Hoffman forum, Shut Down Volume 2 and All Summer Long are Mono and Stereo with the balance of the Beach Boys SHM-SACDs being Mono only. We'll learn more as the SACDs arrive from the early orders and some reviews get posted.

According to the Acoustic Sounds catalog that I received the SACD of each album is as folows:

Surfin' Safari - Mono Only
Surfin' U.S.A. - Mono & Stereo
Surfer Girl - Mono & Stereo
Little Deuce Coupe - Mono & Stereo
Shut Down Vol. 2 - Mono & Stereo
All Summer Long - Mono & Stereo
Today! - Mono & Stereo
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - Mono & Stereo
Beach Boy's Party! - Mono & Stereo
Pet Sounds - Mono & Stereo
Smiley Smile - Mono & Stereo
Sunflower - Stereo Only
Surf's Up - Stereo Only
Holland - Stereo Only

These are not the SHM SACDs. This thread is about the SHM SACDs, not the future APO hybrid SACDs.

I can live with Mono...just want quality...

I think both series will provide some fine Beach Boys SACDs. There will be more albums and more with Stereo tracks in the Acoustic Sounds SACD series than the Universal Japan SHM-SACDs based on the info to date.

I bought two SACDs at Tower Records shop in downtown Tokyo. Titles are "Pet Sounds" and "Smily Smile". Both albums are mono. They only say in Japanese, "DSD remastering in 2014 from an original master tape". No further information on the remastering is available.

As for sound quality of those SACD sources, frankly speaking, I got disappointed. In other words, I have well realized a certain limitation on their original masters.
In the case of Carpenters Singles SACD released last summer, I was amazed with its modern quality very much.

Back