HiRez Poll Beatles, The - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

• Total voters
I realize this is a poll thread, but I think in this case....it's unavoidable to have chatter about the disc. I'm listening again.....and I just cannot imagine giving this less than a 5. Again, I don't want to act holier than thou...just saying. Of course, the expectations were off the charts. Regardless, I think we all need to erase those expectations and just listen.

Heck, the polls say

* fidelity
*content
*surround

Based on that, I cannot fathom giving this release less than a 5. I mean, wouldn't the content be a 10? Unless you don't like Pepper. And, if you don't....what's the point of voting? Let's think about worst case scenario...

Content - 10
Fidelity - 6 (I think it's way, way better)
Surround - 1 (wow, a 1? I think that is unfair)

So, averages of those 3 items are..... 5.6...I think....

Anyway. lmao

You seem to forget and I will shout it from the rooftops: The reason LOVE was so f~ing GREAT was that 'St. George' had the upper hand in bringing this discrete Beatles potpourri to fruition. Sir George knew those master tapes backwards and forwards. Only he could mastermind that exquisite remix!

Personally, I think SP had way too many cooks in the broth [the remaining Beatles, 'perhaps' Yoko and Olivia to a lesser extent] and Giles' ULTRA remixing conservatism which was already on FULL display in the Criterion BD~V 'double stereo version' of A Hard Days Night and Beatles 1+ [actually BEATLES -5.1].

And unless we make out dissatisfaction known to the powers that be at Universal {UMG} we can expect MORE OF THE SAME in regards to any future Beatles surround projects.

And remember fellas: it's not as though there will any future attempts to remix Sgt. Pepper, Hard Days Night and Beatles 1+ into surround. THIS IS IT!

ze
True Story: Elliot Scheiner approached Apple/EMI with a proposal to remix Abbey Road in surround. They laughed at him. So, who's laughing NOW? :(

YIKES!!!! I stand corrected and educated. I admit my post was strictly opinion based on George's disdain for the radical stereo. I also admit I want a gee whiz mix that some may call gimmicky. Why else bother? I like your idea of getting the powers that be be aware of what you call dissatisfaction but should thank them for their {I'm sure} expensive efforts and have concrete suggestions as to the consumers of said products ache for. Shall we organize?
I still think that the now OOP blu ray DTS 5.1 mix for Yellow Submarine is pretty damn good. Esp the title track.
OOP! if you don't own this incredible 4k restoration better get bore the prices go up.

if compared to the Dolby True HD (which is encoded as 6.1, as has already been mentioned! weird..) the DTS HD MA sounds "better"/"different"/"quieter"/"more balanced" etc., I'm blaming Norm (personally I wish they'd stop Dialling him.. but I guess if they get by with a little help from him.. ;) )

Dialogue TrueHD +4dB

Why?, Paul and John's voice are as clear as a crystal laser, compared to pretty much every other singer out there.

Why the need for the boost?

so strange

nothing is real

let me take you down

Dialog TrueHD +4dB

Why?, Paul and John's voice are as clear as a crystal laser, compared to pretty much every other singer out there.

no idea.. possibly because whoever authors these things doesn't know exactly what they are doing?

IDK, I just play around with these things, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, I don't profess to have any technical insight.

people say it makes no difference.. but just by listening and flicking back and forth between the DTS HD MA and the Dolby True HD on this one I don't agree.

for me, for MultiCh music, Dialog Normalization is completely counterproductive and needless, unless the mix is out of kilter in the first place, as it is here (imho) but even then its not helping, it'd need Dial Norm to be dialled down, I think, not boosted.. but then Front L&R would still be out of whack with the too low rears.

what a mess. of all the surround music discs there ever were to get right... bah.. just in case.. if anybody from Apple Corps is reading any of this, please please please before you embark upon the authoring your 5.1 remixes of the White Album to BD, consider this kinda stuff? phew! :p

no idea.. possibly because whoever authors these things doesn't know exactly what they are doing?

IDK, I just play around with these things, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, I don't profess to have any technical insight.

people say it makes no difference.. but just by listening and flicking back and forth between the DTS HD MA and the Dolby True HD on this one I don't agree.

for me, for MultiCh music, Dialog Normalization is completely counterproductive and needless, unless the mix is out of kilter in the first place, as it is here (imho) but even then its not helping, it'd need Dial Norm to be dialled down, I think, not boosted.. but then Front L&R would still be out of whack with the too low rears.

what a mess. of all the surround music discs there ever were to get right... bah.. just in case.. if anybody from Apple Corps is reading any of this, please please please before you embark upon the authoring your 5.1 remixes of the White Album to BD, consider this kinda stuff? phew! :p

it feels to me like 95% of everything is in the fronts. just horrible as an immersive experience. boosted rears and reduced center help. still sux compared to Anthology mixes. single is adequate and better, but still not as good as Anthology.

FYI

Both the 2017 mch mix and the 2009 remaster of the 24 bit Stereo Box Set have the same dynamic range vaue: DR10.

I give the DTS 5.1 track a 7 and the Dolby True HD track a 9. So it's a 9 when the DTS track is ignored. When the rears are added to the surrounds this is a very immersive experience. I think this is high-profile justification for everything using the rear speakers. Sometimes authoring errors work out for the best.

I give the DTS 5.1 track a 7 and the Dolby True HD track a 9. So it's a 9 when the DTS track is ignored. When the rears are added to the surrounds this is a very immersive experience. I think this is high-profile justification for everything using the rear speakers. Sometimes authoring errors work out for the best.

that's kind of a surprise tbh., I would expect the opposite and for there to be louder rears on the DTS HD MA track since the Dolby True has Dialog Normalization and so should be louder across the front soundstage and have a different front to back balance (more skewed to the front) than the DTS HD MA but we all hear differently its all good.

Dialog Normalization boosts (or attenuates) all channels equally, it doesn't emphasize the center channel. Common misconception based on a poor choice of a name.

Dialogue TrueHD +4dB

Why the need for the boost?

so strange

nothing is real

let me take you down

that's kind of a surprise tbh., I would expect the opposite and for there to be louder rears on the DTS HD MA track since the Dolby True has Dialog Normalization and so should be louder across the front soundstage and have a different front to back balance (more skewed to the front) than the DTS HD MA but we all hear differently its all good.

But the Dolby is 6.1 which to my ears has a fairly substantial difference over the DTS 5.1 and actually increases what is coming from behind you..

My conscience doesn't permit me to say too much.

It is only too obvious that one hell of a lot of thought and work has gone into to the big box set. There are a lot of lovely features. The artwork and presentation are stellar.

I love that LP sleeve - the initial thought that it might have the LPs inside - let's have a look and see what's in there!

I HATE that! When I opened it I panicked!! I thought Bullmoose had erred and sent me the LP set. I thought, maybe there are CDs inside this, but if I open it to look inside, they won't take it back. What to do? So I came back here to QQ, and found some photos of someone in the process of opening their SPLHCB, and saw the discs inside the LP sleeve.
Whoever posedt those photos, thanks for saving me from a heart attack!

Dialog Normalization boosts (or attenuates) all channels equally, it doesn't emphasize the center channel. Common misconception based on a poor choice of a name.

I thought it only affected the CC. If what you say is true, how is it any different than a volume change?

..a very poor choice of name! :yikes
can you elaborate on exactly what it is and what it does please?
is it simply volume level or is it DR compression or something else?

I realize this is a poll thread, but I think in this case....it's unavoidable to have chatter about the disc. I'm listening again.....and I just cannot imagine giving this less than a 5. Again, I don't want to act holier than thou...just saying. Of course, the expectations were off the charts. Regardless, I think we all need to erase those expectations and just listen.

Heck, the polls say

* fidelity
*content
*surround

Based on that, I cannot fathom giving this release less than a 5. I mean, wouldn't the content be a 10? Unless you don't like Pepper. And, if you don't....what's the point of voting? Let's think about worst case scenario...

Content - 10
Fidelity - 6 (I think it's way, way better)
Surround - 1 (wow, a 1? I think that is unfair

So, averages of those 3 items are..... 5.6...I think....

Anyway. lmao

Just as back in 1965 I saw Satisfaction as being the start of the slippery slope for the Stones, in 1967 I wasn't particularly impressed by Pepper. I was even less impressed by Strawberry Fields when I turned over the Penny Lane 45.
So for me content is nowhere near a 10. AHDN, BFS & PPM are 10s for me. This is a 6.

Fidelity. Compared to the 1967 LP and the 1987 CD there is an aura to the Blu-ray that worries me. It is the acoustic that sounds dodgy to me. Not to mention being strident and a tad overbearing. DR values don't interest me, neither do any forms of visual representation. I am going purely by what I hear. This is a 5.

Authoring is very much a part of it. Selection of audio is a veritable pain. I'm not right impressed by the clipping of the beginnings of the tracks. I'm not overjoyed by the music playing while I select what I want to listen to.

Presentation is fabulous but completely impractical. There's no room downstairs for anything this size. So the Blu-ray is in an old jewel case.

Surround. I am confused by it. The posts above seem to give some clues. I was trying it independently yesterday evening and wondering whether I could trust my ears. It seems to be more prominent in Dolby True HD than in DTS Master Audio. Perhaps the mix relies upon a playback system with phenomenal resolution?

Rightly or wrongly I keep going back to the Help! Blu-ray. Everything about it sounds superb to me. Surely Pepper should be at least as good?

But the Dolby is 6.1 which to my ears has a fairly substantial difference over the DTS 5.1 and actually increases what is coming from behind you..

I think what is happening, and I posted about it somewhat in the other thread, is that when you select Dolby TrueHD the disc outputs a single back center channel (the 6), BUT if you have 7.1 speakers on your system, your system will then SPLIT that single back channel equally into the 6 back channel AND the 7 back channel = 7.1 mix

because this is what my INPUT and output (LINK) show

ppppp.jpg

kjjjhg.jpg

I've alluded to the fact that since the stem is mono that the single back channel may include 100% fidelity as the other 5.1 channels and the receiver then splits that equally so that the output is essentially a full 7.1 mix, which is why it sounds so good and different than any of the other options.

it's like Giles inadvertently included a 7.1 mix (because of an authoring error?) of this album similar to the way PF inadvertently included a 5.1 of Meddle on the Continu/ation disc.

Lucky us.

Back