HiRez Poll Beatles, The - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

• Total voters
My box arrived damaged thanks Australia Post yet again!

IMG_2075.jpgI gave it 6 (maybe bit harsh)
The 5.1 mix actually sounds great but the instrument placement is very safe.

I think what is happening, and I posted about it somewhat in the other thread, is that when you select Dolby TrueHD the disc outputs a single back center channel (the 6), BUT if you have 7.1 speakers on your system, your system will then SPLIT that single back channel equally into the 6 back channel AND the 7 back channel = 7.1 mix

because this is what my INPUT and output (LINK) show

View attachment 29586

View attachment 29587

I've alluded to the fact that since the stem is mono that the single back channel may include 100% fidelity as the other 5.1 channels and the receiver then splits that equally so that the output is essentially a full 7.1 mix, which is why it sounds so good and different than any of the other options.

it's like Giles inadvertently included a 7.1 mix (because of an authoring error?) of this album similar to the way PF inadvertently included a 5.1 of Meddle on the Continu/ation disc.

Lucky us.

Yes, all 7 speakers are working and that is my take on it as well that the receiver puts that single rear output to both of the rear speakers. This is what happens in all 6.1 inputs. They become 7.1 if you have the capabilities. I am still trying to figure out what content is in the rear channels and what other channel if applicable is being duplicated. I'm not sure if you are correct that the full mono mix is back there but it could well be. My first thought was that it was the center front being duplicated. I will do some more listening. To me this option though sounds way better than any of the other options on the disc. WAY BETTER!

I am listening on a 5.1 system. My pre-amplifier has no digital processing - it's 100% analogue. I use an Oppo BDP 105 disc player.

Switching from DTS Master Audio to Dolby True HD on Fixing A Hole is revelatory. The surround speakers come alive and the mix sounds very much better balanced. Happen my disc player is splitting the rear speaker information between the surround speakers?

Is it deliberately authored this way?

I don't have 6.1, and honestly I don't understand a lot of the technical info being discussed here, but is it possible that the splitting of the extra rear channel on a 6.1 system into the LR and RR could get a similar result as turning up the rears on a 5.1 system, as many of us have suggested? That would explain the better sounding surround.

I am listening on a 5.1 system. My pre-amplifier has no digital processing - it's 100% analogue. I use an Oppo BDP 105 disc player.

Switching from DTS Master Audio to Dolby True HD on Fixing A Hole is revelatory. The surround speakers come alive and the mix sounds very much better balanced. Happen my disc player is splitting the rear speaker information between the surround speakers?

Finally someone agrees with me. To me the difference is like night and day. That would be exactly what is happening from my understanding. Backs would be summed to rears.

I think you really don't need and digital effects or processing with lossless material, I'm pretty interested though in your findings. DTS MA is supposed to have more information in rear than the Dolby true.

I don't have 6.1, and honestly I don't understand a lot of the technical info being discussed here, but is it possible that the splitting of the extra rear channel on a 6.1 system into the LR and RR could get a similar result as turning up the rears on a 5.1 system, as many of us have suggested? That would explain the better sounding surround.

Doesn't appear to be. I have turned up the rears on the DTS and it doesn't make the same difference. In this case there is of course still no information in the back speakers. My backs are fairly large like the rest of my speakers. They are floor standing size (about 5 feet tall). I have them about 3 feet off the floor and flipped upside down so that the drivers are roughly at ear level when sitting in the listening position. For me everything in 7.1 sounds better than the same thing in 5.1. I have a number of classical, AIX and most recently Kraftwerk in that configuration. The Kraftwerk sounds amazing as it fully utilizes the back speakers discretely.

For the simpletons like me with 5.1... is there a specific audio stream on the BDA that I should listen to on my 5.1 system to get the best surround experience?

For the simpletons like me with 5.1... is there a specific audio stream on the BDA that I should listen to on my 5.1 system to get the best surround experience?

Just try the Dolby True HD

Try it out on Strawberry Fields / Penny Lane to begin with.

I am soooo glad to hear that. Can't wait to spin it in 3D, 7.1 in a few days.
It's true 7.1. I hope your center channel is up to the task as there is quite a bit of bass in there even when all speakers are set to small. In fact, if I have anything negative to say about this at all it's that there is too much bass. I had to decrease the out put on my 2 subs to make it listenable. Try "Boing Boom Tschak/Musique Non-Stop" first.

It's true 7.1. I hope your center channel is up to the task as there is quite a bit of bass in there even when all speakers are set to small. In fact, if I have anything negative to say about this at all it's that there is too much bass. I had to decrease the out put on my 2 subs to make it listenable. Try "Boing Boom Tschak/Musique Non-Stop" first.

I think my 4x6" Polk center is up to the challenge! I might nudge my sub down a little going in.

I think my 4x6" Polk center is up to the challenge! I might nudge my sub down a little going in.

Maybe it will be ok, on my system it's perfect, no need to do any adjustments. It's one of a very few recordings that is 100% (on my system) :banana:

Every system/setup/room is different - so maybe you will be lucky? :smokin

Maybe it will be ok, on my system it's perfect, no need to do any adjustments. It's one of a very few recordings that is 100% (on my system) :banana:

Every system/setup/room is different - so maybe you will be lucky? :smokin

You are talking about the Kraftwerk 7.1 correct? With my regular settings on my two subs everything rattles including the dishes up in the dining room.

Try both see what pleases you most.

and I always take what the members say serious - after 10 yrs you learn they know what they are talking about. I know more about nothing than anyone.:confused:

Last edited:
About time to put in my nickel's worth about this one.

First of all, Mr. Martin had only two choices for remixing this: a) go nuts and really let things fly, or b) mainly let the separation of the mix speak for itself. To the dismay of some, this is mainly what he has done, probably (with the approval of the surviving Beatles and the widows) believing--and rightly, I think--that the recording, the project, the end result, was dazzling and innovative enough on its own without adding even *more* sonic window dressing via all sorts of pans and around-the-room, here there 'n' everywhere sounds to render it even more psychedelic. The former approach may have been more of an immersive, kick out the jams experience, but such a mix may have been, over time, wearing and fatiguing. We know this because over the years such effects have been considered great fun to some (like moi) but for others, gimmicky and contrived, a distraction taking away rather than improving upon the original recording.

At the same time, we do get something very important with the new stereo and 5.1 (or whatever it actually is) mixes: a lot of fresh, new detail that is not only due to the remixes and separation, but the clarity offered by modern technology. And of course this mix can't replace the original mono--the 'keeper' mix is the mono, just like PET SOUNDS--but it is, for me, loads of fun and, in key places, more sensible than the original stereo mix had to offer (though to be fair, the technology of Abbey Road in 1967 might have played a part, with its inherent limitations). In other words--and despite some low ratings found in this thread--the new mixes are different, and the 5.1 may not be as razzle-dazzle as some might want but, despite certain issues, it doesn't suck. It just isn't quite what you or I would have done ourselves had we been in the catbird seat, supervising the remixes.

I also want to state that when you come right down to it, only certain tracks really lend themselves to some outlandish embellishments: the title track (and reprise), "Lucy," "Kite," "Within You," "Good Morning" (here and there) and "A Day in the Life." I mean, "Fixing a Hole" is an exceptional mix, perfectly fitting compared to the original; same with "When I'm Sixty-Four." How could these mixes have been improved upon? Not all the album is as radical as its final track, after all, so certain songs were probably better off being mixed 'conservatively.'

Leaving the great packaging out of the equation--IMO you have to be a really grouchy curmudgeon to have a problem with anything about it (I like cool looking conversation pieces like this, regardless of their ungainly, outsized nature)--my only real issue is with the volume. Normally, when shifting from, say, cable or broadcast audio, to my amp, there is a slight to moderate increase in volume, variable depending on the recording. As opposed to vinyl or even CD's, I find most DVD 5.1's louder still, but the difference with both the Pepper DVD and BluRay's is jarring, to the point where I scrambled for the remote to modulate things, lest the cat freak out and attack me...:yikes And like some, I really don't want the perpetual loop of music while frigging with the menu, common as that is for music or movie-related anything.

Which leaves me at a '9' rating overall in spite of certain quibbles. After all, I've lived with this album for fifty years, which is longer than family, girlfriends, wives and whoever else I've known, loved or despised....:D If it has flaws, they're hardly evil enough to disparage to the degree I've read here and elsewhere.

I've had more than a pleasant time, guaranteed or not...:)

ED :)

You are talking about the Kraftwerk 7.1 correct? With my regular settings on my two subs everything rattles including the dishes up in the dining room.

Yes I am - on my system the bass is perfectly in balance with the rest of the "music". Everything will rattle if you turn the volume high enough :banana::banana::banana:

About time to put in my nickel's worth about this one.

First of all, Mr. Martin had only two choices for remixing this: a) go nuts and really let things fly, or b) mainly let the separation of the mix speak for itself. To the dismay of some, this is mainly what he has done, probably (with the approval of the surviving Beatles and the widows) believing--and rightly, I think--that the recording, the project, the end result, was dazzling and innovative enough on its own without adding even *more* sonic window dressing via all sorts of pans and around-the-room, here there 'n' everywhere sounds to render it even more psychedelic. The former approach may have been more of an immersive, kick out the jams experience, but such a mix may have been, over time, wearing and fatiguing. We know this because over the years such effects have been considered great fun to some (like moi) but for others, gimmicky and contrived, a distraction taking away rather than improving upon the original recording.

At the same time, we do get something very important with the new stereo and 5.1 (or whatever it actually is) mixes: a lot of fresh, new detail that is not only due to the remixes and separation, but the clarity offered by modern technology. And of course this mix can't replace the original mono--the 'keeper' mix is the mono, just like PET SOUNDS--but it is, for me, loads of fun and, in key places, more sensible than the original stereo mix had to offer (though to be fair, the technology of Abbey Road in 1967 might have played a part, with its inherent limitations). In other words--and despite some low ratings found in this thread--the new mixes are different, and the 5.1 may not be as razzle-dazzle as some might want but, despite certain issues, it doesn't suck. It just isn't quite what you or I would have done ourselves had we been in the catbird seat, supervising the remixes.

I also want to state that when you come right down to it, only certain tracks really lend themselves to some outlandish embellishments: the title track (and reprise), "Lucy," "Kite," "Within You," "Good Morning" (here and there) and "A Day in the Life." I mean, "Fixing a Hole" is an exceptional mix, perfectly fitting compared to the original; same with "When I'm Sixty-Four." How could these mixes have been improved upon? Not all the album is as radical as its final track, after all, so certain songs were probably better off being mixed 'conservatively.'

Leaving the great packaging out of the equation--IMO you have to be a really grouchy curmudgeon to have a problem with anything about it (I like cool looking conversation pieces like this, regardless of their ungainly, outsized nature)--my only real issue is with the volume. Normally, when shifting from, say, cable or broadcast audio, to my amp, there is a slight to moderate increase in volume, variable depending on the recording. As opposed to vinyl or even CD's, I find most DVD 5.1's louder still, but the difference with both the Pepper DVD and BluRay's is jarring, to the point where I scrambled for the remote to modulate things, lest the cat freak out and attack me...:yikes And like some, I really don't want the perpetual loop of music while frigging with the menu, common as that is for music or movie-related anything.

Which leaves me at a '9' rating overall in spite of certain quibbles. After all, I've lived with this album for fifty years, which is longer than family, girlfriends, wives and whoever else I've known, loved or despised....:D If it has flaws, they're hardly evil enough to disparage to the degree I've read here and elsewhere.

I've had more than a pleasant time, guaranteed or not...:)

ED :)

And, which...makes me want to listen again...which I will right now. :)

Back