Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to apologize to whomever I led down the path that the entire cd set was as bad as my Reddit-grab picture illustration. They are not, my bad!

But as I failed to make my point clear enough in the above hurridly botched post, I simply wanted to point out that the Red and Blue Atmos streams are much more dynamic than their stereo counterparts....I still can't get over the air and breath and alive vibe that "And I Love Her" in 7.1.4 Atmos brings out.

I need to apologize to whomever I led down the path that the entire cd set was as bad as my Reddit-grab picture illustration. They are not, my bad!

But as I failed to make my point clear enough in the above hurridly botched post, I simply wanted to point out that the Red and Blue Atmos streams are much more dynamic than their stereo counterparts....I still can't get over the air and breath and alive vibe that "And I Love Her" in 7.1.4 Atmos brings out.
And I Love Her is such a standout track for me. Nice touches from George throughout really shine

I didn't get that inference. Just wondered if the situation with Now and Then was typical of what we may expect from Beatles physical releases from hereon. I seem to recall that the vinyl grab of Love Me Do was less compressed? So this lets the mastering guy off the hook?

I’ve been waiting for this to hit their website after reading it in the magazine. I’ve said before I just want an honest reason why you can’t make an Atmos disc for release of any title where the mix exists.

Apple Corps answers:

I know they must think about it, but this guy gives the impression that the only option is to include the disc in a box set.

And I so completely disagree with it. Try it... put out a standalone Bluray of the Beatles in Atmos and see what happens. Pick a price and go for it. Go ahead and squeeze us for $40 or something. Or allow it to be downloadable (I know... that won’t happen) or partner with SDE.

As for “very few consumers care”, it seems to be working for the labels who continue to put out physical releases. What do they know that Apple Corps doesn’t?

Ugh. I’m letting this really annoy me and I shouldn’t. If they don’t want my money, I should just let it go.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/beatles-last-stand
Jeff Jones’s comments piss me off because they are disingenuous.

The Revolver super deluxe had the same list price (according to Amazon.com) as the Let It Be super deluxe, despite having 1 fewer disc.

No one cares about surround sound discs in box sets, yet the Sgt. Pepper super deluxe had a DVD and a Blu-ray with the multichannel content for some reason.

The extra costs associated with including multichannel content in box sets was a more convincing argument before the advent of streaming spatial audio. Today, record labels are paying to have spatial audio mixes created for streaming services, which has to be the most significant expense as compared to the relatively minor additional expense associated with authoring, manufacturing, and packaging an additional disc with multichannel content.

The Revolver super deluxe had the same list price (according to Amazon.com) as the Let It Be super deluxe, despite having 1 fewer disc.

No one cares about surround sound discs in box sets, yet the Sgt. Pepper super deluxe had a DVD and a Blu-ray with the multichannel content for some reason.

The extra costs associated with including multichannel content in box sets was a more convincing argument before the advent of streaming spatial audio. Today, record labels are paying to have spatial audio mixes created for streaming services, which has to be the most significant expense as compared to the relatively minor additional expense associated with authoring, manufacturing, and packaging an additional disc with multichannel content.
Even just the disc in a plain sleeve would be an option. I don't care about booklets and all the other stuff that comes with a physical release. Just give me the disc. Hell, you can even just print the name of the group and album on the disc in simple black lettering and I would be good with it.

Even just the disc in a plain sleeve would be an option. I don't care about booklets and all the other stuff that comes with a physical release. Just give me the disc. Hell, you can even just print the name of the group and album on the disc in simple black lettering and I would be good with it.

When it comes to popular music, it seems that the 'least common denominator' has always been the deciding factor. Thus, the casual listener is the only consumer that matters to the record companies, and audiophiles be damned.

But remember when MoFi started producing their half speed mastered LPs? I am hoping that labels such as SDE can become the MoFi of Atmos on blu-ray. After all, they did it with A Space In Time. (Then we can have three pages on this forum dedicated to bitching and moaning about the mix. :) )

What's so frustrating is that the ADM broadcast wav files that these labels send to Apple are the master files and, if sent to me (for example, like a couple of our labels do) could be made into uncompressed TrueHD MKV files in minutes (renderer, MMH, MKVtoolnix). No manufacturing, no physical distribution, just downloadable MKV files. It's so close, and so easy. Argh!

The Blu-ray was very loud/compressed if I remember correctly, so perhaps the Atmos stream has better dynamics.
I am not sure that was the issue for me, it was more an unadventurous thing. Some songs were good like Piggies and Blackbird but the rest were pretty tame, unlike the Atmos mixed songs.

I am not sure that was the issue for me, it was more an unadventurous thing. Some songs were good like Piggies and Blackbird but the rest were pretty tame, unlike the Atmos mixed songs.
All of these comments on the Atmos of TWA is making me drool. I would kill (Uh, that's just an expression, folks) for a high-res blu-ray of that mix.

Re: the infuriating Jeff Jones comments about no more Blu-Rays, hopefully these or other interviewers can take these questions to Giles Martin next. If it were me I'd say something like 'do you feel the fidelity of your atmos mixes are being fairly represented by the current streaming technology?' and then 'is there any hope for something better?'

I also agree that the one inch thoughts Jones seems to be limited to not considering a separate release independent of a box set are laughable. Hopefully one of the business dummies will point out that if places like SDE can release a Def Leppard Blu-Ray and make money, Apple can too.

I think it's inevitable there will be some kind of higher quality version surround music streaming eventually. A specific example was brought up here before by a member but the details were few and far between and that was some time ago. But I do think it will happen, just like it did with stereo. From a business perspective they love being able to sell people the same old thing in a new way and charge more for it. And you can bet that when it comes, initially it will be priced as a premium product/service just like the first high resolution stereo services were.

I whole heartedly agree the direction that Immersive Audio Album is taking with downloadable high res surround files is the best solution of all, at least for consumers. I'm sure it can be a hard sell sometimes to the data owners.

Last edited:
I think it's inevitable there will be some kind of higher quality version surround music streaming eventually. A specific example was brought up here before by a member but the details were few and far between and that was some time ago. But I do think it will happen, just like it did with stereo. From a business perspective they love being able to sell people the same old thing in a new way and charge more for it. And you can bet that when it comes, initially it will be priced as a premium product/service just like the first high resolution stereo services were.
Even when you consider that a high bit-rate lossless 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio stream with Atmos such as 'The Beatles, Abbey Road and Let It Be' can peak out at around 16 megabits per second, it's still well within todays streaming speeds. By contrast, the SDE release of 'Tubular Bells' peaks out at 8.5 megabits per second for lossless 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio stream with Atmos...

Last edited:
I care about the surround discs and would like to see a surround disc for the Red and Blue.
The remixed stereo is great, on most tracks. There are a few that aren't so good; "She Loves You" comes to mind. But, for the most part, they sound better than ever. Now, if we could only get them in surround on BD-A...

The White Album mixes sound much better in Atmos, than they ever did in 5.1. I am not convinced they were done simultaneously, and instead, done for this project.
Many of us don't have Atmos, nor do we want it. Yet we DO want 5.1. I'm also not a fan of downloads. I prefer a medium I can hold in my hand, knowing it's always going to be there. Downloads are fine for those who want them, but if their computers, or media players crash, there's the potential of losing a favorite recording. Sure, you can back up your system, but what if the files become corrupted? With a properly handled BD-A, or SACD, you have it at your fingertips.

Back