Best Hit Single Ever Recorded

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a short lived show on the ABC network in 1969- "The Music Scene" hosted by David Steinberg and others (Lily Tomlin too). A few comedy bits interrupted by the musical acts of the day. It was here that I first saw Smith and Gayle McCormick. I was 15 years old - while it seems a bit dated now, at the time, I was quite taken. Either way, an outstanding version of the song.

Wow, that's a great clip of a great song. And it seems like a different mix from the single we all know & love, almost as if it were performed live in the studio, except there's no horn section on stage, and of course there's the fade-out at the end. Interesting...

" Go cosave she bouwn for coddon feels, Sew in a market down in New Orleans, Scar oh saviour you know he's doing alright, Hear him wit de wimen jus' around midnight."

Brown Sugar.

OK - after some further thoughts about my favorite hit single.....considering overall impact and "you just had to be there" qualities. I now say Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band.
And...maybe another that has same qualities...maybe even a tie... Dancing In The Moonlight - King Harvest. Man, the memories!!!

Perfect sound that denoted a particular era, infinitely hummable, blasting out of the 3 inch speaker on our AM radio in the kitchen from WGLI on Long Island, crazy enough to make my parents cringe in horror....well recorded? Who's to say..... "Incense and Peppermints", to a 7 year old it was pure dynamite.

On that scale, I would have to say "Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James and the Shondells: "Incense and Peppermints" was trippy, but "Crimson and Clover" was spacey, man :D

Maybe suggestions should be included in this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_singles

At least 5 million sold?
I second the vote for 10cc I'm not in love
and crimson & clover.

But it is my perception that this thread is not about somebody's all time vote for the best single song of all time, extracted willy-nilly from any album or wherever one pleases.

The thread title itself immediately conjured up in my mind the question of how sometimes, there are music lovers who might never have purchased a cheap 7" styrene 45RPM single might be moved to buy one, just because a popular hit single is (maybe coincidentally) so uniquely special to them too.
Besides, if any hit single song were really that good, I would expect that the album version be better fidelity and include other perhaps even more interesting songs that don't get played on the radio, and as a bonus, album versions can be and often are longer with more content.

I have always been most strongly motivated to buy LP albums, open reel @7.5 IPS, Compact tape cassettes and various digital discs (CDs, SACDs etc.), but 45s always struck me as virtually worthless junk, far below even the worst cheap, no-name, low grade 8-track cartridges.

So here it's all about pop-chart topping single songs sold in the millions on physical 7" 45RPM plastic discs.
Perhaps add in multi-million selling digital copies if they were presented to the public in that clickable purchase format.

A nice idea this thread, because easily 90% of my music collection would be wholly unknown, unknowable, and if they were exposed to it, something to be avoided at all cost to more than 90% of the music purchasing masses, and I'm totally ok with that.

At least I know what I like and have found ways to acquire it as physical media, even if it's often a struggle.

So this gives most of us, as a more seriously committed group of "Red Pill" taking music lovers, to recognize when the pop-culture focused, profit-driven industry gets it so right, that even people who generally hate pop-music & culture have to overcome their sometimes prejudicial reluctance to board the "Blue Pill" train and just enjoy the ride for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a great clip of a great song. And it seems like a different mix from the single we all know & love, almost as if it were performed live in the studio, except there's no horn section on stage, and of course there's the fade-out at the end. Interesting...

There are quite a few old clips from shows where the band mimed to the studio backing track while the lead vocal was live. There's at least one Stones/Sullivan performance that comes to mind as well as Big Brother on "The Hollywood Palace".

There are a lot of Rolling Stones promo films done the same way, even as late as at least "Miss You".

Lots of candidates, but my go-to cut is probably The Grass Roots Midnight Confessions. It's because of that killer bass line...reportedly played by Carol Kaye.

I have heard other music lovers say that Carol Kaye tends to claim having played bass on some number of hit songs that another bassist may actually have played on.
She is a phenomenally talented and prolific artist that has consistently performed with indisputable genius on virtually countless great songs.
I like her attitude in interviews, she said back then musicians cooperated together more as a team effort emphasizing the "We did it" instead of today with the omnipresent "I did it".

In researching this specific issue, there are also those who claim it was clearly not Jamerson, and stylistically it was Joe Osborne, then others say it was Grass Roots band leader, bassist & singer Rob Grill (RIP).
Regardless of who it was, the bass line remains a key feature that helps make the song so timelessly memorable!

The informed discussion below goes into quite a bit of pertinent detail.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/midnight-confession-whos-on-bass.673606/

Back