Bjork - Medulla SACD on 9/22

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natiahs

Bjork's new album "Medulla" is scheduled for release on SACD on 9/22, at least in Japan. The release schedule is:

8/25 Japanese 2xCD
8/30 UK CD
8/31 US CD
9/22 Japanese SACD / Japanese Heavy Vinyl

Several import shops have the release available for preorder ranging from US$35 to US$60 (yipes!).

Natiahs

I just heard the Medúlla album yesterday (7/26/04) at the Universal Music Spanish offices. Since I got to hear it completely I thought it would be of interest to share some of my impressions with all of you.

The album contains 14 songs, some of which sound as if they were improvised. The basic idea behind the album - I think - is an exploration of the different sounds and effects that can be done with human voices: from choruses to percussion, from 'voice trombone' to sampled chorus voices given a strong mod-wheel treatment.

The tracks that I found most interesting were: "Pleasure Is All Mine", "Where Is The Line", "Vökuró", "Desired Constellation", "Oceania", "Mouth's Cradle and Triumph Of A Heart". BTW, the first single - at least here in Spain - is to be "Oceania".

"Oceania" is a sensual ballad that features a strong voice-based percussion and plays a lot with the background voices. The last phrase, I believe, sums up all the sensuousness of the song, "your sweat is salty, I am why".

Probably the heaviest/most intense track is "Where Is The Line", which is - I believe - in 12/8 time. It features voice percussion, whistling and Simmons-type drums.

The most 'classical' sounding song in Medúlla, which, as was to be expected, is quite an artsy album, is "Vökuró", where she is accompanied, as in a few other tracks, by The Icelandic Choir. Almost Gothic.

In the whole, the voices seemed to be mainly spread out on the front stage throughout the album with some echo reflection information on the back channels, although I seemed to notice some parts where certain voices would pan from the front left to back left channel.

I hope this information gives you a slight idea of what this new album is all about.

Perhaps better news: Sirendisc now has a European release of the SACD listed for 8/31 for a mere $24. Certainly better than the Japanese prices. They also list a simultaneous release on DVD-Audio.

Natiahs

Already released on 8/30 in the UK on SACD:

Medulla [Digipak] [HYBRID SACD] [LIMITED EDITION] at Amazon.co.uk

currently for £9.99 (Approx: US$15.27 which is without VAT to the US) plus about US$5.50 shipping to the US (free shipping within the UK on orders over £19).

Also available in the UK is a DVD-Audio with a documentary (see the DVD-Audio Forum here for details).

No high-res version in the US so far.

The official Bjork store

shows all the above (somewhat higher prices) plus a Vespertine 5.1 SACD (which is also currently available at Amazon.co.uk for less), and promises SACDs later this year of Debut, Post and Homogenic.

Hey the Medulla [Digipak] [LIMITED EDITION] with the poster looks like there is no SACD layer with the Canadian release. The US must also be the same.

the North American release is on Elektra thru Warner music. The European disc is from an independent called One Little Indian.
I would not be expecting a North American SACD - if anything it will be DVD-A...
I got the SACD and it is a mindblower..........

DrMabuse2001 said:
the North American release is on Elektra thru Warner music. The European disc is from an independent called One Little Indian.
I would not be expecting a North American SACD - if anything it will be DVD-A...
I got the SACD and it is a mindblower..........

Yes, the European SACD edition of Medulla is available. Heard a bit of it over the weekend at the Meitner Multichannel Event in Berkeley, CA.

Back