Blood, Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits: Audio Fidelity Stereo SACD (July 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright. I did not know Elusive Disc had final word. So then I guess there truly are also Mono mixes on the latest Earth, Wind & Fire AF release.... ;)

Need a 2nd opinion?

md.jpg

LOL! Alright then, it's Stereo only! Thanks for the second opinion Doctor Cup. :D

Brian, can you shed some light on why this ended up as a stereo-only release when we all know that this Greatest Hits was released as a Quad album back in the 70s?
Obviously we all know that if this release would be Multichannel that there would be some overlap with the already released 4.0 SACD of "Blood Sweat & Tears (II)", but what is the reason why the Quad mix will not be included on this upcoming release?
Is it because the GH Quad tapes were missing or damaged? Did Sony block AF from using the Quad mix on this SACD, or were AF simply not interested in making this a Multichannel SACD?
Whatever you can share, please share it!

In the meantime, at least I don't have to worry about buying this disc now!

This is very disheartening.

I have absolutely no inside knowledge of this release (as opposed to the Full Sail which I actually heard) so I am speaking totally from conjecture, but you have to figure that the title was chosen to be a stereo/multichannel release. Something must have happened either with Sony or the master tapes were in bad shape or something which resulted in the stereo only result.

If Brian knows and can chime in without breaking a confidence I am sure he will, but we have to respect him if he in fact knows but is not at liberty to tell us.

We can't always get what we want.

Of all the titles that could be issued in quad, and that are not coming out in quad at this time, BS&T Greatest Hits has to be the least important to me personally. The tracks we would be getting in quad surround (not found on S/T album) are my least favorites. We don't need this GH package that badly.

But I would rather see AF spend their resources and time on other quad 4.0 titles that have been cleared for licensing and which have tapes available. I mean just think about all those Sony titles sitting there, and it appears their vaults are in fairly good order. I mean Full Sail was not there on the shelf, and it was able to be located after further searching. That right there tells us something.

I actually had high hopes for this one. I'd buy it just because it's a Greatest Hits package. You don't have to skip a track like on "II", just let it play.
I've gotta say I've lost a lot of confidence in Audio Fidelity lately and this isn't helping.

I've gotta say I've lost a lot of confidence in Audio Fidelity lately and this isn't helping.

Sorry, but I have to say that's probably too harsh of a statement given that so far this year has already brought us "Hearts" (from America), "Spectrum" (from Billy Cobham), "Thrust" (from Herbie Hancock), "Head to the Sky" (from Earth Wind & Fire), and The Collection.
Plus we also have Laura Nyro and "Full Sail" coming up as well.
Now I know that not everyone will be thrilled with some or all of these titles, but of the ones mentioned that have been released so far, they all have merits in one form or another IMHO, and Audio Fidelity should continue to be commended for doing more than any other record label to bring Quadraphonic mixes back in such a big way! :)

(They also brought us newer surround sound mixes from the likes of Bob Dylan and Mannheim Steamroller too, even though neither title has my interest at the moment.)

Well, yes, a disappointment. Would really like to know why no Quad here. In all fairness, one cannot blame the Quad community for the disappointment since the title was originally issued in Quad. If memory serves, I remember the Quad version of this title easier to find at Sears than the stereo. Fortunately AF has plenty of Quadraphonic titles released and much more coming.

I actually had high hopes for this one. I'd buy it just because it's a Greatest Hits package. You don't have to skip a track like on "II", just let it play.
What track do you skip on II ?

Speaking for myself, I'm not always in the mood to listen to "And When I Die", so sometimes I'll skip that one, but other than that, BS&T (II) is as close to recorded perfection as one gets from the late 1960s. :)

Personally, I listen to the non-hit tracks in quad skipping "And When I Die", "Spinning Wheel," and "YMMSVH." Then I go back and listen to the stereo tracks of those three using PLIIx. As I've said in the past, the quad mixes of "Spinning Wheel" and "YMMSVH" sound totally de-balled...no bass and poor dynamics compared to the stereo versions.

It's disappointing that this will be a stereo only release, although we already have about half the tracks on BS&T II. I won't be shelling out the money for this one.

Back