Blu-Ray technology and HD DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petermwilson

Hi,
This is not too far off now which means we can start hypothesizing.

What, if any, aside from available room on a disc could this possibly benefit HIREZ music. I'm assuming it will allow a movie of at least 2hrs either filmed or converted to High Def the space to fit on a disc, but would it also allow mlti format discs such as dvd-a and sacd on one disc or would it comfortably allow more channels.

My processor has 8ch analogs. So far I don't know of any hard or software that uses those channels but trying to wrap my mind around an 8ch dvd-a or sacd is pretty tough. The 2ch analogists must really be rolling their eyes over this one.

To argue with myself, I thought 5.1 was the cats ass until I heard an EX and ES production in my system which allows for it. It probably would have even more prominence if my room was wider.

Anyway, what do you think, should we be drooling over the audio possibilities or do we have as good as it gets (tweaks not included) right now, and what would you like to see on all that extra space??

Excuse me for the assumption that it's even going tobe used for audio only at times.

Peter m.

It's potential should give us lots of reasons to be looking forward to it..

As a minimum, the movie soundtrack will be in hires - likely MLP..

I can see 7.1 becoming the norm with it being fully compatible with 5.1 setups..

John the Depot Dude said:
It's potential should give us lots of reasons to be looking forward to it..

As a minimum, the movie soundtrack will be in hires - likely MLP..

I can see 7.1 becoming the norm with it being fully compatible with 5.1 setups..

I'd rather not think about it thanks. No doubt it's wonderful. And they wonder why DVD-A and SACD aren't taking off with the greater public? Because the next thing is almost upon us quite possibly might have something to do with it. Ha! No more White Album's for Scott, thanks (not that I've ever owned it on any format, come to think of it). We're going to be played for mugs at this rate if we're not careful. What's next? Hardwiring oursleves into the mains?

How about this? As you play the high resolution surround sound music, you see the associated video on the screen. Presently, if there is a video, it is usually in stereo or Dolby Digital, and you have to select it separately. And there could be videos for each song instead of one or two.

The Quadfather

petermwilson said:
Hi,
This is not too far off now which means we can start hypothesizing.

What, if any, aside from available room on a disc could this possibly benefit HIREZ music. I'm assuming it will allow a movie of at least 2hrs either filmed or converted to High Def the space to fit on a disc, but would it also allow mlti format discs such as dvd-a and sacd on one disc or would it comfortably allow more channels.

My processor has 8ch analogs. So far I don't know of any hard or software that uses those channels but trying to wrap my mind around an 8ch dvd-a or sacd is pretty tough. The 2ch analogists must really be rolling their eyes over this one.

To argue with myself, I thought 5.1 was the cats ass until I heard an EX and ES production in my system which allows for it. It probably would have even more prominence if my room was wider.

Anyway, what do you think, should we be drooling over the audio possibilities or do we have as good as it gets (tweaks not included) right now, and what would you like to see on all that extra space??

Excuse me for the assumption that it's even going tobe used for audio only at times.

Peter m.

Back