Blue Note Jazz in DSD on Super Hi Rez

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Universal Music continues to bring out more titles in DSD on Super HiRez that are not available on SACD. Today it's 5 Jazz albums on Blue Note featuring Art Blakey, Carmen McRae and Elvin Jones. Very interesting.

Blue Note Jazz DSD - Dec 22 2014.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&orderby=12&NewArrivals=true&categoryID=372

OK - I'm going to prove how naive I am about this whole subject. I'm embarrassed to admit...I am clueless.

Can someone direct me to a thread for dummies? This whole Hi-Res download thing.......how does it work? What do I need to handle such a thing and how do I play it on my home stereo? Sorry for dumbing this down so far....I'm just in the dark.

OK - I'm going to prove how naive I am about this whole subject. I'm embarrassed to admit...I am clueless.

Can someone direct me to a thread for dummies? This whole Hi-Res download thing.......how does it work? What do I need to handle such a thing and how do I play it on my home stereo? Sorry for dumbing this down so far....I'm just in the dark.

OK. Here are the highlights. Typically you will need a computer, digital to analog converter (DAC), music playback software and a place to store the digital download files connected to your music system to play the music downloads.

In some cases, DACs are built in to Blu Ray disc players (like the Oppo 103, 105 and Marantz 8005 Stereo SACD Player/DAC). Sony makes a pair of all-in-one Stereo Digital Music Player systems (HAP-Z1 ES and HAP-S1) that let you store and play the music all in one product - perhaps the simplest approach.

There are also a variety of combination DAC + Headphone Amps (iDSD Nano and Micro, Oppo HA-1, Blue Coast UFO, Geek Out 720 and 1000) that also provide a very simple and mobile way to begin enjoying downloads at a very low cost and very easy to set up and use. (The Geek Out, UFO and iDSD Nano DACs are literally small enough to fit in your pocket!)

Check the "How To" Guide from Acoustic Sounds at http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=598 for more details.

Also helpful, you'll find a list of DACs and music software for DSD Downloads in Google Spreadsheet form at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

An alterative method of listenting to digital music files, whether ripped from physical media or downloaded, whether "hi-res" or CD quality (44.1kHz x 16 bit), is to store them on a NAS (Network Attached Storage device) and let your networked HTR (Home Theater Receiver) play the files directly off the NAS. The NAS makes the files available to the receiver using the SMB protocol (the same way the Windows OS shares files and printers), and the reciever converts the digital audio to analog with its own DACs. I love this method, because all you have to do to listen to music is pull out your Smartphone (or tablet) and use your HTR's remote control app (e.g., "Onkyo Remote App," or the third-party app called "oRemote") to select the album or song that you want to listen to. You don't have to turn anything on or fuss with any physical device (other than your cellphone, which serves as a smart remote). I listen to all my music this way when I'm in my living room. When I'm elsewhere in my house, I listen to the same files (served off the NAS) on whatever computer I happen to have around. In essence, I stream lossless music, stereo and multichannel, to myself. As an added bonus, you can make your collection available on any connected device for free by letting Google's "Music Manager" crawl your music collection on your NAS. That's how I listen to music in my car (cellphone pipes music via bluetooth or cable to car stereo) or when I'm out walking (headphones plugged into cellphone). Google isn't delivering the music losslessly, but in my car, I certainly can't tell the difference.

There are just a few caveats: You have to make sure that your receiver handles the file formats that you download, and to transcode them if it doesn't. I can tell you all about what the Onkyo TX NR828 will and won't do, in the extremely unlikely event that you care. If you're buying a new receiver, make sure that it plays back multiple flac files "gaplessly" (with no silence in between). This feature is called "gapless flac playback." I suppose you should look for gapless DSD playback if you care about DSD files. Also make sure that the receiver plays back multichannel flac (or DSD) files. The instruction manual probably won't tell you in sufficient detail, so try before you buy, or make sure that you have return privileges.

An alterative method of listenting to digital music files, whether ripped from physical media or downloaded, whether "hi-res" or CD quality (44.1kHz x 16 bit), is to store them on a NAS (Network Attached Storage device) and let your networked HTR (Home Theater Receiver) play the files directly off the NAS.

And you can use a NAS with a DAC for playback. As I'm doing here. Regardless of approach, some of the new DSD Downloads - in Stereo and Multichannel - are excellent. Love it !

Speaking of the Blue Note Jazz DSD Downloads, Super Hi Rez added more today by Freddie Hubbard. So the DSD releases from Blue Note and Universal continue. Nice.

On the HFPA facebook page to celebrate 75 years of Blue Note they have asked for Blue note records which we would like released on HFPA discs,

HFPA face book page is very rarely kept up to date and no mention of recent 5.1 releases the promotion of these discs is appauling

Just picked up "Double Take" with Freddie Hubbard & Woody Shaw in DSD today. Sounds very good on the Sony HAP server.

Back