BMG Plans 20 Living Stereo SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Some pretty interesting info over at the BMG Classics forum. It says there that the U.S. release date of the new RCA Living Stereo SACD series will be
is 9/14 (a week ahead of the European launch) and that 10 more Living Stereo SACDs are due out in Winter 2005.

I wonder if BMG has any plans to do SACD remasters of the Jazz, County & Pop Living Stereo catalog? Now that could be very interesting as well !

See the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11056528 and the BMG Classics web forum at http://www.bmgclassics.com/board/index.jsp for more.

bobou2 said:
Stereo SACD's.....
Isn't this a Multi-Channel Discussion forum???

Yes, but I don't see a problem with hi-rez stereo posts. We have been known to get FAR MORE off-topic about other issues. Mike.

bobou2 said:
Stereo SACD's.....
Isn't this a Multi-Channel Discussion forum???

Actually the Living Stereo SACDs are a mix of Hybrid Surround Sound SACDs (the 3 Channel releases) and Hybrid Stereo SACDs (2 Channel master tapes).

bmoura said:
Actually the Living Stereo SACDs are a mix of Hybrid Surround Sound SACDs (the 3 Channel releases) and Hybrid Stereo SACDs (2 Channel master tapes).

One thing isn't clear: all these LS reissues will be mch+stereo or not? From what i know of this LS sereis, they were recorded all in 3 channel and then downmixed to stereo. Gettin' back the 3ch real deal is really groovy - be aware that a matched center speaker along with the front ones is mandatory.

winopener said:
One thing isn't clear: all these LS reissues will be mch+stereo or not? From what i know of this LS sereis, they were recorded all in 3 channel and then downmixed to stereo. Gettin' back the 3ch real deal is really groovy - be aware that a matched center speaker along with the front ones is mandatory.

It is clear. The 2 channel originals will be Hybrid Stereo SACDs and the 3 Channel originals will be Hybrid Surround Sound SACDs that reproduce the front 3 channels plus SACD Stereo and CD Stereo tracks.

In the first batch, BMG says that 5 will be Stereo SACDs and 5 will be 3 Channel/Surround Sound SACDs. See the High Fidelity Review article at
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=15223896 for a list of each.

bmoura said:
It is clear. The 2 channel originals will be Hybrid Stereo SACDs and the 3 Channel originals will be Hybrid Surround Sound SACDs that reproduce the front 3 channels plus SACD Stereo and CD Stereo tracks.

In the first batch, BMG says that 5 will be Stereo SACDs and 5 will be 3 Channel/Surround Sound SACDs. See the High Fidelity Review article at
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=15223896 for a list of each.

I have always admired the living stereo records but I have to admit I would rather them re-release RCA quad recordings of the 70's (particularly classical and soundtrack) in SACD. :rolleyes:

bming said:
I have always admired the living stereo records but I have to admit I would rather them re-release RCA quad recordings of the 70's (particularly classical and soundtrack) in SACD. :rolleyes:
Although I've never heard the soundtracks, I had numerous quad reels of classical RCA from the 70s back then and never heard anything much (other than hiss) coming out of the rears. The only real advantage to the tapes was the lack of a side break.

I'm looking forward to the Living Stereo RCA SACDs. I've only got 1 classical SACD (out of the 28 titles i have), but I saw 3 in that list that I want.

narcopolo said:
Although I've never heard the soundtracks, I had numerous quad reels of classical RCA from the 70s back then and never heard anything much (other than hiss) coming out of the rears. The only real advantage to the tapes was the lack of a side break.

I'm looking forward to the Living Stereo RCA SACDs. I've only got 1 classical SACD (out of the 28 titles i have), but I saw 3 in that list that I want.

Yes, there are some good ones on that list. And I'm curious to see what the next 10 SACDs will be.

bmoura said:

FWIW, the list is slightly incorrect: there are 3 channel/surround tracks on some of the 2channel SACDs. OTOH, there are a few tracks on indicated 3 channel/surround SACDs that are only 2 channel. I think they programmed the discs for their musical content and not whether they had 3channel masters or not.

Kal

Back