Bread and Grover Washington Multichannel SACDs - Official Audio Fidelity Announcement

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great find, thanks Mike! (y)

I've little doubt these two will be received pretty badly by QQers who have them both already.. but it's a big YEAY on both counts from little old me!! Why? Well, 1.) The Bread Quad is to me an excellent example of Quad mixing and this first time reissue should hopefully find it a new audience now, 2.) It's a Warner Quad.. COME ON what's not to get excited about there?!! Hopefully this means more of the same from AF!? The possibilities for Warner's Quads reissues are pretty mouthwateringly mega for us guys.. and 3.) I hope now more people will get to hear one of the most skillfully executed 5.1 music mixes (I've ever heard anyway!) from the maestro himself.. let's face it the Winelight DVD-A's been out of print, out of most people's price range and off people's radars way too long.. I shall of course be buying both day and date (with two week shipping delay of course!) :banana:

You are spot on...this could open up the vaults on some really great titles...

Just received an email from Marshall from Audio Fidelity announcing the earlier discussed "Best of Bread", and also Grover Washington's "Winelight" album, previously released as a WB DVD-A.

Winelight has an excellent 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner and was used as the flagship track to demo the ELS system in the Acura TL and later vehicles from Acura. This, IMHO, is a far superior release than the earlier George Benson disc was, and if you don't have the DVD-A you might want to seriously check this title out.

Lovely that the catalogue keeps rolling along!
I have never listened to much Bread, but after listening to the first track of this Best Of collection, I definitely think it would be something I would enjoy.
'Winelight' is another album/mix I have never bought or heard, but after checking out the ELS Acura DVD-A demonstration disc with the surround demonstration featuring this track, it definitely made me feel a lot more motivated to check out this album, so it now seems like the perfect chance!

Oh wallet, how thee shall hurt after just these first few months… ;)

I have never listened to much Bread, but after listening to the first track of this Best Of collection, I definitely think it would be something I would enjoy.
'Winelight' is another album/mix I have never bought or heard, but after checking out the ELS Acura DVD-A demonstration disc with the surround demonstration featuring this track, it definitely made me feel a lot more motivated to check out this album, so it now seems like the perfect chance!

The existing Winelight disc is superb...if this one is even close it will be worth a purchase...

For sure, Bread will be on my list, not sure about Grover. Never been a big fan.....but I'm sure it will be a great sounding disc.
do have DVDA but haven't listened this one for years. if memory serves me right, being pretty good surround mix
it is somewhat lil'bit too bright at high end.
Bread i have CD-4 conversion, i believe by Bob.
if i would to choose between those two, i would prefer Grover Washington.

For sure, Bread will be on my list, not sure about Grover. Never been a big fan.....but I'm sure it will be a great sounding disc.

Maybe "Jazz-lite" to some.. but surround light? No no daddio! It's a truly stunning 5.1 album! Cannot wait for this one (and I've played the old DVD-A a gazillion times!) :banana:

My wallet's gonna need open heart surgery by Summer! :D

Oh, I think (I hope anyway!) you're gonna love these two RT! Sterling examples of 4.0 and 5.1 music imho, fidelity to die for too.

Maybe "Jazz-lite" to some.. but surround light? No no daddio! It's a truly stunning 5.1 album! Cannot wait for this one (and I've played the old DVD-A a gazillion times!) :banana:

I agree - its one of the best 5.1 mixes - IMHO.

do have DVDA but haven't listened this one for years. if memory serves me right, being pretty good surround mix
it is somewhat lil'bit too bright at high end.
Bread i have CD-4 conversion, i believe by Bob.
if i would to choose between those two, i would prefer Grover Washington.

Pretty good? Too bright? Time to rejig your memory and play that DVDA! ;) ;)

How about that bit where ES "Builds" the Winelight Surround mix on that Acura Demo disc? 'A bit of snare drum here, some keyboard there, Grover's sexyphone over here.. hey presto! The wonders that man creates.. It's acoustic alchemy, I tell ya! :p

I am not a fan of Grover Washington Jr or smooth jazz..... at all. However, I LOVE Bill Withers and might be willing to tolerate a surround disc of elevator music just to get Withers singing Just The Two of Us. That is a great tune. Maybe the rest of it will grow on me. However, if someone is only familiar with the hit, Just the Two of Us, you should really listen to clips of the other songs. Just the Two Of Us is an anomaly and not indicative of what the rest of the album sounds like.

Yes, it's official that the February 2015 releases from Audio Fidelity will be Multichannel SACDs from Bread and Grover Washington Jr.

These will be from the previously released Multichannel editions. So you will get the 5.1 Elliot Scheiner mix from the DVD Audio edition of Winelight and the original 4.0 Quad Mix of Best of Bread from the Original Analog Master Tapes from the Warner Music/Elektra vaults. Kudos to Warner Music, Audio Fidelity and Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center for the detective work needed to find the Best of Bread Quad tapes.

Steve Hoffman (Bread) and Kevin Gray (Winelight) will be doing the Stereo SACD and Stereo CD transfers while Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center will do the 5.1 PCM to 5.1 DSD transfer of Winelight and the 4.0 Analog Master Tape to 4.0 DSD transfer of Best of Bread.

Looking forward to these two. Great music and performances here!

I am not a fan of Grover Washington Jr or smooth jazz..... at all. However, I LOVE Bill Withers and might be willing to tolerate a surround disc of elevator music just to get Withers singing Just The Two of Us. That is a great tune. Maybe the rest of it will grow on me. However, if someone is only familiar with the hit, Just the Two of Us, you should really listen to clips of the other songs. Just the Two Of Us is an anomaly and not indicative of what the rest of the album sounds like.

True, but the title track is very close to "Two of Us", without vocals. If you remember and like the old Herb Alpert tune "Rise", the song "Winelight" is very similar, with the disco beat replaced with a smooth jazz groove. It's quite accessible, even for those not really into Jazz. I think this album was one of the showcase DVD-A titles from WB, and one that did not get much notice from many.

Yes, it's official that the February 2015 releases from Audio Fidelity will be Multichannel SACDs from Bread and Grover Washington Jr.

These will be from the previously released Multichannel editions. So you will get the 5.1 Elliot Scheiner mix from the DVD Audio edition of Winelight and the original 4.0 Quad Mix of Best of Bread from the Original Analog Master Tapes from the Warner Music/Elektra vaults. Kudos to Warner Music, Audio Fidelity and Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center for the detective work needed to get the Best of Bread Quad tapes.

Steve Hoffman will be doing the Stereo SACD and Stereo CD transfers while Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center will do the 5.1 PCM to 5.1 DSD transfer of Winelight and the 4.0 Analog Master Tape to 4.0 DSD transfer of Best of Bread.

Looking forward to these two. Great music and performances here!

Good on Gus Skinas! (Do you think he could find those 5.1's of Blue Moves, Rock Of The Westies, Caribou & Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player.. some day too?!) :D

Interesting.. it said Kevin Gray was doing the Winelight SACD Stereo in that press release, so it's all SH's work?

So that's two discs I'm taking to the grave with me then.. the Winelight DVD-A.. and the Winelight SACD.. :p

I don't think I've ever been so excited about a reissue of the exact same thing on a different format (and there've been a few!)..!! :ugham:

Its the best example of elevator music, it lifts you higher and higher! :D

Back