Bruce Dickinson

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marplot

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This is potentially exciting news.
"It's been a very busy year of mixing things. Also we've been doing the back catalog as well, so we've just done — in fact, this week, [we got done] mixing the Atmos Dolby version of 'Skunkworks', we've remixed it, and we're gonna be doing the same thing for all of my back catalog, so 'Balls To Picasso' and all the other albums."

This is potentially exciting news.
"It's been a very busy year of mixing things. Also we've been doing the back catalog as well, so we've just done — in fact, this week, [we got done] mixing the Atmos Dolby version of 'Skunkworks', we've remixed it, and we're gonna be doing the same thing for all of my back catalog, so 'Balls To Picasso' and all the other albums."
I can't get too excited until there is actually news that it will be release physically.

Don't care for Bruce's latest solo album, but love Skunkworks. It's very unlike any of his other works and I think he actually wanted to call it Skunkworks but the label wanted the BD name on it.

I love Maiden too, but seems like everything they've put out the last couple albums is guilty of Steve Harris's overkill. Hey, let's have a 2 minute bass intro! And maybe an outro for good measure! Let's repeat the chorus too much (probably Bruce's fault there)!. Let's make Janick double the vocal melody with his guitar because there's nothing else for him to do! Those guys have been using Kevin Shirley so long that nobody has the balls to step in and tell them to cut the fluff.

I went back and revisited all the albums from when Bruce returned (Brave New World through Senjutsu), thinking in advance that Brave New World was the best, but much to my surprise, I found that I liked A Matter Of Life Or Death the best. Just seemed to depart ever so slightly from the typical formula and production, not indulge in so much of the overkill, and yet still remain unmistakably Maiden. It's also the last one where I think Bruce's singing is still top notch. Not that I blame him. He is older and had cancer and the fact that he is singing at all and singing well is pretty amazing really. Those guys still put on a helluva show live.

If only they could find a way to clean up the fidelity a bit. Those early albums need a lot more low end. Still. I'd hit it.
Not on my system, playing the original vinyl pressings. Martin Birch knew exactly what he was doing. No other versions I've heard sound "right".
The originals sound awesome. Like a switch blade knife to your heart.

Not on my system, playing the original vinyl pressings. Martin Birch knew exactly what he was doing. No other versions I've heard sound "right".
The originals sound awesome. Like a switch blade knife to your heart.
OK, you're killing me! I do not have the original vinyl pressings. I have wondered. Thanks for that tip......now I'm gonna find me a copy.

OK, you're killing me! I do not have the original vinyl pressings. I have wondered. Thanks for that tip......now I'm gonna find me a copy.
If you still want digital, the original non-remastered CD’s sound just like the vinyl, but you may as well just go for the vinyl at that point.

The first pressing European (Made in West Germany) Powerslave CD with a tan CD label apparently sounds incredible. I have not heard it as it’s very expensive.

If you still want digital, the original non-remastered CD’s sound just like the vinyl, but you may as well just go for the vinyl at that point.
Not to my ears. They sound brittle, by comparison. Not sure the DACs were all that good, at the time.
There is also the matter of how one's stylus and cartridge "color" the vinyl experience. I could agree that they are likely the same mastering.

Back