Cat Stevens DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear

I picked up the new Cat Stevens Majikat DVD over the weekend. If you are a fan, this is a must have. The video is great considering it was a concert from 1976. All the hits are there and the sound is DD 5.1 and DTS though it is not real discrete.

bear said:
I picked up the new Cat Stevens Majikat DVD over the weekend. If you are a fan, this is a must have. The video is great considering it was a concert from 1976. All the hits are there and the sound is DD 5.1 and DTS though it is not real discrete.

I agree! I was expecting this to just be a '70's poor quality video/audio release. What a surprise to find out this rivals some newer dvd music releases coming out today! The film quality shows no signs of any scratches and the surround mix makes you feel like you are right in the theatre. May I just add that Cat Stevens was at his prime during this tour! There are also some nice extras included and the packaging is very well done.
Tim

(I posted this over at SH, where everyone ignored it)

Bagged this DVD today. It is of a 1976 concert that was held at William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA. This was actually a concert that I attended!!!
orangebigeek.gif

This video is great! Leaving the artists politics out of this post, I have to admit that I smiled a lot watching this disc, remembering how much I used to like these songs, and how great the artist sounds live, and how much enthusiasm he shows in concert.

I am not sure what direction his career would have taken in the '80s and '90s, but here in this time capsule from 1976, he is at his peak! CS fans will know all of the songs on the set list, and to see them performed live is a treat.

As I said in an earlier post, I remembered that this was being filmed because during the performance of the song "Sitting", Cat stopped playing, stood up, and cursed out the cameraman who got in between him and his band. He picked up where he left off (with the song), and that tune is logically left off of this DVD. Too bad, it would have been intense to see!

The audio quality is pretty good. The disc has DD and DTS 5.1 tracks, but it's basically your "live show" mix.

The DVD also has some bonus features, with some live song shots from 1971 TV performances, a promo video of "Father and Son" and the animated story video of "Moonshadow", starring Teaser and the Firecat! There is also an interview, discography, and the DVD comes with a replica of the concert program (which I did not buy in 1976 because I could not afford it!)

Anyway, if you are or were a Cat Stevens fan, you should think of getting this one. This performer dropped off the face of the Earth, and lost some of his luster due to his politics, but here, back in 1976, while watching this you will remember that he was a major force and star, if a forgotten one now.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I'm of the same opinion about Cat Stevens but have softened up considerably, would be neat to see this as it was, save for one song (one I dig too)...

At the end of the day the politics does not affect the music, the show is Cat Steven's circa 1976 not Usaf Islam 2004. You do not have to watch the interview, just enjoy teh music and other extra's its rather good.

I don't know if it's still being re-run, but VH1 did a very interesting "Behind the Music" on him a few years back (timed to coincide with the release of the CS box set, if I remember correctly). It gives the impression of him being very committed to his religion, and that the controversy involving his remarks to the Salman Rushdie issue were purportedly misquoted/blown out of proportion by the media. Whether you agree or not, it was an intruiging profile of a man passionately committed to his spiritual matters. Worth seeking out...

I finally just finished watching this DVD. The sound is excellent in the fronts - the rears are pretty much audience/ambience only. There are other quotes around the forum claiming the surround is excellent, but if you are looking for music in the rears you won't find it hear.

The concert is from 1976 as has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Among the special features you will find latter day Yusuf Islam interviews where he reflects on his music and his transition away from international performer and toward spirituality and fatherhood. To me it was interesting to listen to and did not seem offensive in the least. Those who are curious might find this part enlightening.

The video looks great for standard definition, and the music is clean and clear. Just not adventuresome surround-wise.

Back