Triumph "Greatest Hits: Remixed", with 5.1 DVD, mixed by Richard Chycki

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked this up for cheap and enjoyed it although as noted above, the tracks are a bit uneven in volume and I would argue mix (which isn't terribly discrete). It's a very odd product overall.

I too picked up a copy in all the frenzy a couple of weeks ago.

Well at least it was only $12.00.

The surround mix is crafted to compliment the various promo videos. Evidently the label didn’t want to spend Duran Duran “Hungry Like the Wolf” like dollars so most of the songs are “live performance” promos.

In keeping with that, audience noise becomes part of the mix. Not being a fan of that fake noise, I am less impressed with this release than others.

Perhaps they were purposefully trying to lean on Triumph’s reputation as a killer live band but in 2023, it looks kind of like a low budget move.

Even putting that aside, I find the other mixing elements just as sub-par as other early Richard Chycki surround mixes. Nothing interesting going on discrete wise.

I am glad that others are enjoying this but I feel this a huge dud.

My favorite is "Hold On" from the album "Just A Game", however I'd wager "Magic Power" may have been their biggest hit. "I'm young, I'm wild, and I'm free...."

I too picked up a copy in all the frenzy a couple of weeks ago.

Well at least it was only $12.00.

The surround mix is crafted to compliment the various promo videos. Evidently the label didn’t want to spend Duran Duran “Hungry Like the Wolf” like dollars so most of the songs are “live performance” promos.

In keeping with that, audience noise becomes part of the mix. Not being a fan of that fake noise, I am less impressed with this release than others.

Perhaps they were purposefully trying to lean on Triumph’s reputation as a killer live band but in 2023, it looks kind of like a low budget move.

Even putting that aside, I find the other mixing elements just as sub-par as other early Richard Chycki surround mixes. Nothing interesting going on discrete wise.

I am glad that others are enjoying this but I feel this a huge dud.

That's how many of their original videos were-- live performance videos, usually with the studio track and live crowd noise overdubbed onto the video. There are some exceptions. For example, I don't know why they did a live performance of Magic Power for this DVD. The original video was a corny video, but it was the studio track. Maybe they subbed it out because they hated the original video with them flying around on a Flying V guitar, but sheez, not like it's any worse than the Spellbound video.

Anyway, it's why I said we really shouldn't "count" this with a poll. Regardless of RC's previous work, I really think that in this case he was working not with source studio stems with which he could make what we consider to be a proper surround music mix, but whatever audio was available for the video tracks. He was hamstrung from the outset.

For an add-on to the remixed cd, the dvd is acceptable, even enjoyable. The mixes on the most familiar songs seem good enough considering the limits of what was available to the mixer, although I haven't tried an up-mix of stereo track for comparison.

While fake crowd noise is bothersome, seeing an audience but not hearing anything reminds me of those 'shreds' videos.

I couldn't remember but checked last night. No extras, not even a menu, the doc starts playing when you insert the disc.

They have a pretty funny segment discussing the concept video for Magic Power.
Thanks. I rented/streamed it from Amazon and really enjoyed it. Bonus features might have persuaded me to buy the DVD or BD.

Back