Triumph "Greatest Hits: Remixed", with 5.1 DVD, mixed by Richard Chycki

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your into Triumph in stereo this is there best release, great double live album.
R-16745685-1609594082-4737.jpg

I take it with a grain of salt when the reviewer doesn’t know the difference between remixed and remastered.
In fairness, if they were remixed, then they were also remastered.

I'm streaming them now and they definitely sound remixed. Not overly so and still true to the original, but the bass and drums are punchier.

Looks like there are 11 tracks in surround on the DVD. I too wish that Just A Game and Blinding Light Show (the original, not the live bootleg) and some others were on there, but you can't always get what you want. I loved these guys back in the day. Had every record on vinyl up through Thunder 7, and then got a few albums after that on CD because that is what I transitioned to along with the rest of the world. I may get this. It would be fun to push their sales inexplicably up.

I'm not sure I hold out much hope for the 5.1 mix itself since they're a 3 man band and Chycki's surround output has been underwhelming (is he the only guy Canadians use to mix surround?)

What? Wait? There is a Cinderella greatest hits 5.1 disc too? This thread is blowing my mind higher than the price of the "Who's Next" box set.
Cinderella Video Hits
Very good, they are video hits, so at the beginning and end of each song there might be a couple seconds of talking or street noise to set up the video. I ripped the DVD and listen to audio only, great.

Cinderella Video Hits
Very good, they are video hits, so at the beginning and end of each song there might be a couple seconds of talking or street noise to set up the video. I ripped the DVD and listen to audio only, great.
Is the surround mix half-way good? My brain instantly does sort of a bad mix knee jerk when I hear the name Rich Chycki

I envision some record exec fool somewhere yelling into the phone “press more Triumph Greatest Hits NOW!

‘Fight the Good Fight’ must be in an episode of Stranger Things”

Is the surround mix half-way good? My brain instantly does sort of a bad mix knee jerk when I hear the name Rich Chycki
The Cinderella DVD isn't muchnof a surround title at all. The fidelity is fine and the clips are a fun watch but in no way would I recommend it for the surround mix. Like lots of DVD video collections at the time (Def Leppard. Ratt) its just glorified stereo. If you want some unique mixes of 80's rock, the Motley Crue Greatest Video Hits is a nice option.

Please let us know how the mix is! I’m scared it’s the 2112 Chycki level of talent, which would be a shame. I streamed this and I remember the drums were pretty different for sure. Depends on the person if it is good or bad change. My wife hated them.

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Today is the new Greta Van Fleet album and Aersosmiths S/T and Rocks remasters.
.... and the pile GROWS.

Prepare to be disappointed. Mine arrived today.

1 - It's mastered way too loudly. Turn your system down before you pop it in. There is a lot of thunder and lightning to emphasize the surround experience, which made me laugh. Very cheezy and 80s. That was maybe the highlight of the listening experience.
2 - Most of their videos are-- and some of this could've been known with some YT viewing-- faux live or live videos, meaning crowd noise is much of your surround experience, often times at the expense of the original track
3 - Follow Your Heart, Lay It On The Line, Magic Power (completely live version), When The Lights Go Down, Hold On, Allied Forces (completely live version), and Never Surrender all have crowd noise at some point.
4 - Hold On doesn't even start until after the intro. I thought it was a mistake and rewound, letting When The Lights Go Down play into it. Nope. It's just not there.
5 - Somebody's Out There is the only thing approaching a conventional surround track, with the keys behind me. Never Surrender also has the rhythm guitar behind me and to the left...and nothing to balance it out on the right. Weird.
6 - There is a lot of faux surround here. For example, When The Lights Go Down has that beginning blues part in all speakers.
7 - Can we at least have the courtesy of syncing the audio and video?

In fairness, he may have been limited by the source tracks and what he had available. IMHO, this is not worth creating a poll for. It just really isn't a conventional surround sound mix, as he is working with videos and whatever audio that entails. I was hoping that since he remixed the tracks in stereo that the source stems would be used on the videos, at least where they could be. That does not appear to be the case.

Back