Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill Inglot's work with Rhino over the years has resulted in hundreds of amazing releases and I'm not surprised that his expertise was a key element in the making of this magnificent set. Please give him our sincere thanks. For anybody who has yet to hear his amazing Stereo remixes of Dionne Warwick's best songs, treat yourselves to this compilation which will make your system shine.

Hey Simon I also want to thank you for that reccomendation. I ordered a copy after realizing I like many of her songs and this is a double lp size collection of them.

This forum sure helps me spend my money......

Hey Simon I also want to thank you for that reccomendation. I ordered a copy after realizing I like many of her songs and this is a double lp size collection of them.

This forum sure helps me spend my money......

I'm with you on that jefe1. I was able to procure a USED VG copy for under $7 delivered. Not bad for what also constitutes a chunk of the Burt Bacharach songbook, as well. Just wish someone (hint: RHINO) would release a single BD~A chock full of ALL her hits in HI RES Stereo. What a spectacularly soulful voice.

Hey Simon I also want to thank you for that recommendation. I ordered a copy after realizing I like many of her songs and this is a double lp size collection of them.

I'm with you on that jefe1. I was able to procure a USED VG copy for under $7 delivered. Not bad for what also constitutes a chunk of the Burt Bacharach songbook, as well. Just wish someone (hint: RHINO) would release a single BD~A chock full of ALL her hits in HI RES Stereo. What a spectacularly soulful voice.

Thank you for your comments Gentlemen. I have taken the liberty to start a new thread about this Dionne Warwick compilation so we may keep this one about the Chicago Quadio set. :)

Anyone else than me that have ordered this from SpinCDs? Reading all your reviews made me impatient when they did not deliver, my order still in Processing status.

Today they finally answered to me and it said:
> Hi Ulf, apologies for the delay in replying, we were waiting for information regarding the Chicago Quadio box.
> Unfortunately all the bluray box sets have been recalled due to a fault with a couple of the tracks. A repress is underway and we should receive the replacements in the next few weeks. Obviously we will ship to you as soon as they arrive back in stock.
> Cheers Spin

Seems like they knew about the flaws on the stereo track before they start delivering.

Anyone else than me that have ordered this from SpinCDs? Reading all your reviews made me impatient when they did not deliver, my order still in Processing status.

Today they finally answered to me and it said:
> Hi Ulf, apologies for the delay in replying, we were waiting for information regarding the Chicago Quadio box.
> Unfortunately all the bluray box sets have been recalled due to a fault with a couple of the tracks. A repress is underway and we should receive the replacements in the next few weeks. Obviously we will ship to you as soon as they arrive back in stock.
> Cheers Spin

Seems like they knew about the flaws on the stereo track before they start delivering.

I have.

They have replied to both of my emails regarding shipping dates-the last one was last week.
I suspected the delay was the mistake on the discs.

Thanks!

I got this response from Dr Rhino regarding the Quadio box set so I thought I would post it here. So they are on it getting replacement discs made.

The Love recommendation refers to my suggestion they look for the unreleased quad mix of Forever Changes to put out.

Thank you for your email.

Our production department has advised that replacement discs are being created.

I will update you when they become available.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr. Rhino

PS

Thanks for the Love recommendation. I will forward your message to our suggestion box.

I got this response from Dr Rhino regarding the Quadio box set so I thought I would post it here. So they are on it getting replacement discs made.

The Love recommendation refers to my suggestion they look for the unreleased quad mix of Forever Changes to put out.

Thank you for your email.

Our production department has advised that replacement discs are being created.

I will update you when they become available.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr. Rhino

PS

Thanks for the Love recommendation. I will forward your message to our suggestion box.

Dude! Forever Changes would be an absolute purchase if they did that....holy cow!!!

What is the precise email address used? I'd like to post it on the QQ Facebook to address an inquiry or two. Thanks

EDIT: I found and will use [email protected] unless someone corrects me soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, well. I admit that I don't recall who gave me the tip....seems like it was Mike. Anyway, after some of my comments on the vocals being recessed....I was told to make sure my Dynamic EQ was turned off. While I doubted this would help....I followed.

Eh....OK. So, I pop in Chicago Quadio...and try 4-5 discs and whoa....major difference. I mean...major.

Now, I'm ready to vote. :) :) :)

Thanks Ryan!
Yes, Craig did a great job on these discs. Love not having to turn the TV on to listen to these.
Bill Inglot needs a shout out as well for finding the Quad tapes for III & VIII. The Quad master for III was actually still at Sony in New York - it never got turned over to the band when they got their masters from Columbia.
This project was very much a group effort.

Don't sell yourself short Steve. You did a great job on this release as well, and after all, your name IS on the box! :)

Is Quadio really that good to take over first in the polls or are people voting simply for the package value. Hard to believe a quad beats 5.1 material including material from Steven Wilson. But just in case I have mine on order.

Is Quadio really that good to take over first in the polls or are people voting simply for the package value. Hard to believe a quad beats 5.1 material including material from Steven Wilson. But just in case I have mine on order.
In my opinion, YES! It's really that good and deserves to be in the #1 spot.

If your system is properly set up and you have decent full range speakers the left and right front channels will render a perfect phantom center channel when playing QUAD material. And to be perfectly honest, what RHINO/Warner has achieved with the Chicago Quadio BD~As will, IMO, give any 5.1 remaster a run for its money and will in some cases BLOW IT AWAY!

In case you aren't already aware....even stereo will render a perfect phantom center channel, as well...so in effect....you ARE listening to three channel.

If your system is properly set up and you have decent full range speakers the left and right front channels will render a perfect phantom center channel when playing QUAD material. And to be perfectly honest, what RHINO/Warner has achieved with the Chicago Quadio BD~As will, IMO, give any 5.1 remaster a run for its money and will in some cases BLOW IT AWAY!

In case you aren't already aware....even stereo will render a perfect phantom center channel, as well...so in effect....you ARE listening to three channel.

Your post popped up about the same time I was posting in this thread : http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....speaker-with-active-8inch-sub-a-waste.723728/

I like the way SW uses a center channel in his mixes but these Chicago mixes hold their own and I actually like how much fuller the rears are in most compared to the 5.1 SW mixes. Apples and oranges and they both taste delicious!

I will add, a center channel is much better if you have multiple listeners and can't be in that sweet spot...

Well, well. I admit that I don't recall who gave me the tip....seems like it was Mike. Anyway, after some of my comments on the vocals being recessed....I was told to make sure my Dynamic EQ was turned off. While I doubted this would help....I followed.

Eh....OK. So, I pop in Chicago Quadio...and try 4-5 discs and whoa....major difference. I mean...major.

Now, I'm ready to vote. :) :) :)

(imho) Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Vol are the work of the devil with regard to Surround Music.
Shut them off for your Quad listening.. you won't miss them until you go to watch a movie.

Well actually if you ask most people on this forum it beat out another quad for top honors..the Parsons quad mix of Dark Side Of The Moon...of course the water is a little muddy on that one as the blu ray of DSOTM has both mixes on it...IMO DSOTM could have been dethroned by several Steven Wilson mixes but the content just wasn't that strong to get it done...but IMO the Chicago Quadio set deserves the top spot..

(imho) Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Vol are the work of the devil with regard to Surround Music.
Shut them off for your Quad listening.. you won't miss them until you go to watch a movie.

By the sounds of it, you are right. What I noticed right away was a bit of "bassy fullness" lacking compared to when they were on. But to the positive, the music surround experience was much more tight and now the vocals are suddenly normal. :) Well, I always ran Dynamic Vol as off, but always had Dynamic EQ activated. Now I just turned off EQ. as well. :)

Your post popped up about the same time I was posting in this thread : http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....speaker-with-active-8inch-sub-a-waste.723728/

I like the way SW uses a center channel in his mixes but these Chicago mixes hold their own and I actually like how much fuller the rears are in most compared to the 5.1 SW mixes. Apples and oranges and they both taste delicious!

I will add, a center channel is much better if you have multiple listeners and can't be in that sweet spot...
For years I was a die-hard 5.1 guy; now I've gone to 4.0 using 4 identical towers. This is so much easier to balance and I'm getting very comfortable with no center pointing directly at me. My Quadio set hasn't arrived yet but my expectations keep getting higher and higher.

By the sounds of it, you are right. What I noticed right away was a bit of "bassy fullness" lacking compared to when they were on. But to the positive, the music surround experience was much more tight and now the vocals are suddenly normal. :) Well, I always ran Dynamic Vol as off, but always had Dynamic EQ activated. Now I just turned off EQ. as well. :)

That Shirley Bassey fullness is just Bloated bass boosted bullshit ("sorry Shirley, i love you Shirley darling, really I do.. but she hasn't got the range!")

That Shirley Bassey fullness is just Bloated bass boosted bullshit ("sorry Shirley, i love you Shirley darling, really I do.. but she hasn't got the range!")

I'm sorry, but you've lost me here Lad. Does she sing on a Chicago album?

Back