Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, I think posts like this are VERY relevant because many fans of 5.1 music may be disenchanted if they don't get the proper settings...and also realize that we are talking about Quad....which is 4 channel.

I agree completely after having spent some time to get things right.

So, forget having the vocals staring at you from your center speaker....just get over it. This is a different audio format and either you like it..or you don't. I personally love it. It's a nice addition to the normal 5.1 world.

Don't miss the center on the Quadio at all, the phantom is phine, had to check at first that the center was silent.

First time through on embossed VII, haven't got to the hits yet but Devil's Sweet is something like space jazz if there is such a thing. Funny, just noticed Mrs. O'Leary's cow. Very nice disc. I got rarely lucky and was able to get through the entire double album and enjoyed it start to finish.

I feel your pain with ImportCD. My set was missing a disc and they have done little to help me other than provide a postage paid return label.
It takes an average of 4 days for them to respond to any email. Every time I call during business hours, the recording says they are closed.

I asked if they could send a replacement set. They stated their system can't handle that. They will refund after they receive the return but it could take 30 days to process. Next i asked if they could send a replacement and charge a provided card if the return doesn't show up in a reasonable time. No can do. Finally I asked if they could at least reorder at the pre-order price with the promo discount available at the time. They eventually agreed but said I could not use Paypal again. I used Paypal as my family helped fund the purchase as a Father's Day Gift.

Recommend staying away unless you need to turn to them for price.

Sorry Jon - saw an opportunity to vent.

Thanks for this post. I learned more from your experience than I learned from multiple emails from ImportCds. There seem to be two seperate conflicting reply threads to any email. They did confirm today they would credit the return set and postage when received. They didn't mention a month. Another thread 5 minutes later said they would refer it to upper management.??? Based on your response I'm going to order it again (while its available) from Italy, which currently works out cheaper, at least for me. Your experience makes it clear they won't be replacing the set. Overall I should not be out of pocket.

I think ImportCds are fine if nothing goes wrong. The fault here really lies with manufacturing or assembly quality control.

This is my first time listening to Chicago VII and I'm doing it in Quad! Never had this one or the others and I am really enjoying the instrumental workouts. I cannot stand their sappy songs this album keeps it to a minimum although I do enjoy the Beach Boy harmonies on Wishing You Were Here. I can hear these superb musicians working out all around me. If all their albums were like this.... I am appreciating this group more and more.

Thanks for this post. I learned more from your experience than I learned from multiple emails from ImportCds.
I think ImportCds are fine if nothing goes wrong. The fault here really lies with manufacturing or assembly quality control.

It seems evident that ImportCD is just a shell and they use 3rd party fulfillment & return centers. The returns address they instructed me to send the Qudio Box back to traces to the Shepherdsville Kentucky post office. Shepherdsville is the home of a number of distribution & return centers (including Amazon). The actual address of the return permit houses Alliance Entertainment Corp (A wholesaler of music, video, vinyl, video games, apparel, toys, collectables and accessories) which according to their website service over 2,000 independent music and video retailers.

I get the impression that ImportCD is just some "home" business with fluff and hyperbole on their website. They are willing to undercut on margins being small and have a third party supplier to fulfill orders.
Can't prove that but the circumstantial evidence seems to point that out. Their "system is not set up to handle replacements", The product shipped from the known address of a larger distribution center, Long return process offering refund only.

It is sadly apparent as to why their customer support on returns is horrible. 1: They are likely a small shop and obviously they do not have the customer service staff to reply quickly. 2: If they are just a web front reseller, they never really have ownership of any stock despite what they claim. 3 Any return has to process through a super large middle man handling the returns of over "2,000 independent music & video retailers". I imagine that does cause for a lag and perhaps ImportCD is not credited instantly on returns.

As Channelar stated, they obviously work fine if nothing goes wrong. The fault is indeed with the manufacturing but if you are in the retail game, you really need to have a better replacement plan.

Full range rears makes a HUGE difference. Much more than I could have imagined. Get the matching center WHEN you stumble over ONE at a low price.

I could not agree with you more regarding full range rears (or surrounds.) Acid test: When I upgraded to full-range tower surrounds with identical drivers to match the fronts, even my wife who couldn't care less about hi-fi or surround sound, commented that the system sounded better. I would add an identical speaker for the center to match the front pair, but no one has come up with a see-through version so that we can watch the TV.

This is my first time listening to Chicago VII and I'm doing it in Quad! Never had this one or the others and I am really enjoying the instrumental workouts. I cannot stand their sappy songs this album keeps it to a minimum although I do enjoy the Beach Boy harmonies on Wishing You Were Here. I can hear these superb musicians working out all around me. If all their albums were like this.... I am appreciating this group more and more.

Prior to this set, the only ones in this set that I was familiar with were Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago (II), V, and of course IX. Since getting it, VII, in my opinion, is my favorite of those I'd never heard, maybe of all of them. They went for jazz, and brought in some sugary-sweet pop almost half-way in. It's got everything!

Today I finally added my first decent Blu Ray player* (Panasonic BDP55 from 2007 with analog outputs, just sitting around, probably $50 today) to the Marantz quad system so that I could replicate the original experience and compare it to the main 5.1 system's playback of Chicago Quadio discs. To recap, the main system is comprised of various Cambridge Soundworks branded speakers; bi-polar Towers and MC500 Center up front and the Ensemble IIs sitting on Subwoofer master and slave cabs. It is essentially full-range all the way around plus subwoofers as needed by program material. The Marantz 4140 system is in my back room (shared with music gear) and includes four identical Advent Legacy II loudspeakers which was the original ideal quad system configuration envisioned.

I put in Chicago V which is usually my first choice for this band and I must say that while the playback over SIMILAR speakers of the main system is very satisfying, the content shines even more with IDENTICAL speakers! Using the wired remote control I could adjust the volume and solo any channel like I did when in 1972 I was 14 years old! (MASSIVELY improved fidelity this time around) The Marantz remote also allows for Loudness contour to kicked in or out for further comparisons. Idling at lower volume with loudness on was great; turning loudness off and cranking it up a few notches was fantastic. The fidelity and then the full decay of the horns or electric piano at the end of songs was especially hypnotic in it's realism.

When I read of so many subjective differences in the playback (lack of bass, preponderance of bass, lowered vocals, EQ settings, etc., I'm reminded that beyond a simple stereo setup, we have introduced so darn many variables that must be tamed first. Therefore proper reviews seem elusive until we have everything right. I run everything flat as possible so as to introduce the least variance possible, with only tweeter switches on high position if so provided. I'm going to live with these great discs for several weeks before I vote or attempt a review. If you haven't rushed out and bought this great release, I don't know what you're waiting for. It's a modern day quad miracle.

BDquad.jpg

Last edited:
I am by no means a Chicago-holic, but I am working my way through the set and enjoying it a great deal.

My recommendation is that anyone on the fence go ahead and get it. It's worth the money.

Today I finally added my first decent Blu Ray player* (Panasonic BDP55 from 2007 with analog outputs, just sitting around, probably $50 today) to the Marantz quad system so that I could replicate the original experience and compare it to the main 5.1 system's playback of Chicago Quadio discs. To recap, the main system is comprised of various Cambridge Soundworks branded speakers; bi-polar Towers and MC500 Center up front and the Ensemble IIs sitting on Subwoofer master and slave cabs. It is essentially full-range all the way around plus subwoofers as needed by program material. The Marantz 4140 system is in my back room (shared with music gear) and includes four identical Advent Legacy II loudspeakers which was the original ideal quad system configuration envisioned.

I put in Chicago V which is usually my first choice for this band and I must say that while the playback over SIMILAR speakers of the main system is very satisfying, the content shines even more with IDENTICAL speakers! Using the wired remote control I could adjust the volume and solo any channel like I did when in 1972 I was 14 years old! (MASSIVELY improved fidelity this time around) The Marantz remote also allows for Loudness contour to kicked in or out for further comparisons. Idling at lower volume with loudness on was great; turning loudness off and cranking it up a few notches was fantastic. The fidelity and then the full decay of the horns or electric piano at the end of songs was especially hypnotic in it's realism.

When I read of so many subjective differences in the playback (lack of bass, preponderance of bass, lowered vocals, EQ settings, etc., I'm reminded that beyond a simple stereo setup, we have introduced so darn many variables that must be tamed first. Therefore proper reviews seem elusive until we have everything right. I run everything flat as possible so as to introduce the least variance possible, with only tweeter switches on high position if so provided. I'm going to live with these great discs for several weeks before I vote or attempt a review. If you haven't rushed out and bought this great release, I don't know what you're waiting for. It's a modern day quad miracle.

View attachment 26671

Very cool post...and yet, accurate. Man, there are so many variables....different rooms, speakers, AVR's....blah, blah. It really is nearly impossible to get worked up because one guy has issues with sound. Each one of us has a different situation. There is really no way to paint a brush across all of us. Hopefully, with all the comments, we can all learn what need be done to get the best sound out of this excellent box. I know I've learned a little. :)

I hope you are right about the price dropping. I wasn't going to get this set but after reading all the excitement and great comments it's now on my Wishlist. It needs to get under $100 USD though with the AU dollar where it is now.

Very cool post...and yet, accurate. Man, there are so many variables....different rooms, speakers, AVR's....blah, blah. It really is nearly impossible to get worked up because one guy has issues with sound. Each one of us has a different situation. There is really no way to paint a brush across all of us. Hopefully, with all the comments, we can all learn what need be done to get the best sound out of this excellent box. I know I've learned a little. :)

I would just hope that if someone is having a specific problem...like recessed vocals... that they a least try to get some advice on here on simple things to check to remedy the problem before they vote...not to only to add clarity to the opinions on the poll...but for their own enjoyment:)

View attachment 26671

Oh man..seeing those Marantz "blue lights" brings back a ton of memories for me...one of my buddies had a Marantz receiver.."back in the day"...and I loved those blue lights...especially when I was stoned(y)..

I would just hope that if someone is having a specific problem...like recessed vocals... that they a least try to get some advice on here on simple things to check to remedy the problem before they vote...not to only to add clarity to the opinions on the poll...but for their own enjoyment:)

In a different thread, there is now a quick guide to calibration. I've added a few items (such as disabling dynamic EQ) this morning. Hopefully this helps someone who is having the same difficulties.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...brate-Your-Surround-Field&p=302577#post302577

Andy

I noticed that some eBay sellers have purchased Quadio boxes and are selling the individual discs, marking the more popular titles at higher prices than the less popular. I would think that those of you who have not purchased the box might have to consider this path if you only want one or two discs, as I would really be surprised if Rhino decided to issue these separately. You would have to think that the major portion of people interested enough in these discs to purchase HiRez Bluray versions of these albums have already purchased the box. A market this specific probably could not support both a box and individual discs. Better to use the resources to fuel a new Quadio box from another WB legacy quad artist.

Back