Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up this set on behalf of my dad as a Christmas present to me. I've only dipped in today and checked the surround part of the discs worked and played little bits out of intrigue. No full tracks, and it shouldn't be much trouble to wait until December. I've got to say though that the attention to detail on the sleeves is lovely, and the disks are authored so conveniently so they play straight off in quad, no button pressing.

Two of the blu ray's (CTA and Chicago III) dynamic range values have been posted on the DR Database. Pretty much inline (fair to good) from previous versions, and please note this will be the stereo streams.
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Chicago&album=

Two of the blu ray's (CTA and Chicago III) dynamic range values have been posted on the DR Database. Pretty much inline (fair to good) from previous versions, and please note this will be the stereo streams.
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Chicago&album=
My submissions! I will get around to the rest, eventually... It's a bit of an arduous process to get usable files out of the Blu-rays on a Mac.

Just had the opportunity to sample a few of the best known tracks and I think it's wonderful. It must be a difficult job to balance that dirty guitar sound and the horns and retain clarity with both in the busy sections. I'm pretty certain that the neighbours appreciate it as well!

I had pretty much decided that I would skip this set since I'm really not a huge fan and felt that it would be a lot of music that wouldn't get played too often and that I already had the 3 albums I most would want in surround. But after reading all the positive comments I decided to break down and spend the money and I blame all "you people" for the hole in my bank account.

What a great package they put together. The care taken to recreate the original album covers, sleeves, posters, etc is fantastic. What a beautiful set and the packaging alone deserves a lot of credit.

I still do think there's a lot of music that I may not play much, but there's also a lot of stuff that is far more interesting than I was probably expecting. And all this music in quad is really a surround fan's dream come true. Hopefully, it sells well enough that the record companies might consider a few more sets like this. The sound quality does seem to vary among the different albums and that is to be expected but all sounds pretty good to my old ears.

Anyway, I would highly recommend anyone on the fence about this one to pick it up. A great release that deserves support.

K

€65.04 on Amazon.es!!!

Looks like the retailers are being advised to shift their inventory with the problem discs (rather than dispatch it all to be remaindered or whatever) at a considerable discount, for the manufacturer to then swallow the difference and the costs of replacements and then they do a 2nd print run corrected and that'll be the full price until it sells out and then no 3rd manufacturing run.. maybe not, just a theory..

So, we're here for the Surround, predominantly, are we not.. in which case I'd say lets all leap on this set now while it's cheap. A year or two from now it'll probably be going for an arm and a leg like similar discs where there were issues, thinking along the lines of the Thick As A Brick 5.1, etc.

Late to party again, but at least I've showed up. :)

I've received this set today and I've already gone through IX, VIII (a few good tracks) and I'm currently enjoying VII, which is my favourite so far.

Better late than never baby! Oww..! :banana:
(be honest, you were holding out for The Replacements, weren't you? Not the band, the discs with the wonky stereo.. ;) :p :D etc)

Edit: VI and X are cool too, if you're in the mood for a slightly less intense (than the likes of CTA, II, III & VII, I mean) but still satisfying burst of Chicago in Quad, imho! :upthumb

Better late than never baby! Oww..! :banana:
(be honest, you were holding out for The Replacements, weren't you? Not the band, the discs with the wonky stereo.. ;) :p :D etc)

Nope, I doubt I'll ever listen to the 2.0 mixes. I'll write to Doctor Horny to get the replacement discs when they do come out.

Nope, I doubt I'll ever listen to the 2.0 mixes. I'll write to Doctor Horny to get the replacement discs when they do come out.

Well what kept you? That bus you were on with the Ohio Players was too slow...! :p

I fear you may have a long wait for a letter from the horny one.. :eek:

Well what kept you? That bus you were on with the Ohio Players was too slow...! :p

I fear you may have a long wait for a letter from the horny one.. :eek:

I'm still playing catch up (or is it catsup?) with so many other artists that I like more than Chicago. I mean it's only been out a few months. I'm glad to have it now. :)

I'm still playing catch up (or is it catsup?) with so many other artists that I like more than Chicago. I mean it's only been out a few months. I'm glad to have it now. :)

Haha.. :D I call it playing ketchup! Its saucy like a Benny Hill sketch! :p
There are artists you like more than Chicago?? Wash that mouth out (with Whisky) now you wicked wicked man you! :yikes

Gargle! :beer2

Late to party again, but at least I've showed up. :)

I've received this set today and I've already gone through IX, VIII (a few good tracks) and I'm currently enjoying VII, which is my favourite so far.

VII is by far my favorite, especially the first few tracks. They were really stretching their legs a bit, and it produced some magic.

VII is by far my favorite, especially the first few tracks. They were really stretching their legs a bit, and it produced some magic.

I think that's the magic of the 70's. Bands could experiment and push the envelope. I think it was quite a bold statement for them to start the album in that way and then resume it with the sound their fans knew them for. I don't know of any other album like this one. One track started as if it were done by the John Coltrane Quartet. Pretty cool!

Just a Heads Up to let everybody know that Rhino has begun shipping replacements discs yesterday. All you need to do to receive yours is to write to Dr. Rhino providing your proof of purchase and address and requesting your replacement discs. They have a long list to go through but with a little patience you will be receiving yours. :)

Just a Heads Up to let everybody know that Rhino has begun shipping replacements discs yesterday. All you need to do to receive yours is to write to Dr. Rhino providing your proof of purchase and address and requesting your replacement discs. They have a long list to go through but with a little patience you will be receiving yours. :)

I never heard back from Dr. Rhino - did anyone else never hear back?

Just to refresh my memory, was the consensus that only side 2 of Chicago II (tracks 5-12) was affected my the mono issue, or were there other discs?

Back