Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steelydave - That was one of the best posts ever here at QQ. Nice job, thank you, and WOW!

Ditto, Jon. I share Steelydave's utmost enthusiasm for the Chicago Quadio boxset, as well, and as he surmises.....it IS one of the BEST bargains in surround to EVER come from the major studios....or for that matter.....anywhere!

Thanks, SD......stellar job!

My prediction: sales WILL go through the roof with this release and hopefully will spur Rhino/Warner to release similar QUADIO/5.1 boxsets in the future. After all, they're only collecting DUST!

@steelydave - kudos for taking the time to write all this, for us multichannel fans, extremely interesting information about the Chicago quads. Much appreciated and now I look even more forward to the upcoming box set.

My corresponding artist, to what Chicago means to you, is Elton John. I have and will always follow him and for artists with a career as long as Chicago/Elton there will always be ups and downs, both from an artistic and commercial standpoint. I am also glad that I explored another such a musical relation "late" in life (44 years i was) - Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson. Never thought I was able to be so passioned for a new artist again - really glad i was wrong on that account.

ARTIST: Chicago
TITLE: Chicago Quadio Box (9 Disc Blu-Ray Audio)
Label: RHI/Rhino Records
Config & Selection #: BA 553946
Street Date: 06/17/16
Order Due Date: 05/20/16
UPC: 603497880669
Box Count: 8
Unit Per Set: 9

I have the release sheet and will post more info later.

So this comes by the Rhino Records QUADIO program. QUADIO certainly came roaring back to life. I like the four speakers on the cover, with 192/24 DTS-HD Master Audio. Going to be a Fun summer for sure!

This title will be released on June 17, 2016. http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Quadio-Disc-Blu-Ray-Audio/dp/B01EWGTEGS

Hot on the heels of Chicago's recent induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the celebration of the legendary "rock band with horns" musical legacy continues with a new boxed set that includes quadraphonic and stereo mixes in high resolution 192/24 DTS-HD Master Audio on nine Blu-ray Audio discs.

The CHICAGO QUADIO collection will be available on June 17. Housed in a rigid two-piece box, nine albums are presented in sleeves that replicate the original release down to the last detail, including mini posters, and the iron-on that came with Chicago VIII. To ensure optimal sound quality, Rhino has remastered each album in both its original quadrophonic and stereo mix on each disc, and so that the quadrophonic mix will play on surround sound systems.

CHICAGO QUADIO spans seven years and includes eight studio albums, in addition to Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits. The group's long string of jazz-rock mega hits includes: "Make Me Smile," "Saturday In The Park," "25 Or 6 To 4," "Feelin' Stronger Every Day," "If You Leave Me Now," and many more.

Bull Moose: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/22630986/chicago-chicago-quadio-box-9-disc-blu-ray-audio

Google search: Chicago Quadio Box https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Chicago+Quadio+Box

Chicago Quadio Box.jpg

Minutae alert:

It looks like (from that product picture at least) that both Chicago VIII and Chicago IX (Greatest Hits) are presented as gatefold sleeves. As far as I know all the original LP releases of these two albums were regular (non-gatefold) sleeves so it'll be interesting to see what Rhino has put inside the gatefold. Maybe they'll replicate the tracklist and production credits that were on the dust jackets from the original LPs or use period appropriate photos?

This is the dust jacket from Chicago VIII for reference:

R-1613079-1280251503.jpeg-500x500.jpg

...This is what I think should have happened, all vinyl LP formats held back due to technological limitations, and then quad cassettes introduced, a tape that plays one direction only and must be rewound, but it 100% discreet, and has the potential to sound better than Q8, and with the soon available chrome tapes, blows Q8 outta the water. So quad on tape formats only. Think of all those collectible cassettes we'd all have that seemed (after new leader, or a new shell, to play back beautifully with just a touch of hiss, less than Q8. Even if quad still died we would now be in better shape so far as archiving the remnants of a fallen format.
Well, of course. Phillips did not allow that though. And you never want to replace a shell on a cassette tape since that will throw off the azimuth alignment.

Wow.. What a BARGAIN... nine Quad albums on Blu-ray for £75..? That's like £8 quid per disc..! :yikes

The old Q8s and SQ LPs of these Chicago Quads sell for silly money (or rather were selling, be interesting to see if this box has any effect on that!) ..now I know we're not even halfway through the year yet but I think this Chicago Quadio box is set to be my surround reissue of the year! (Please Rhino, don't screw this one up.. the power is in your hands!! :D )

I certainly hope so! A collection of the Doobie Brothers Quad mixes seems like the most logical choice for a follow-up IMHO, but I just hope they have more sense than to reissue the Aretha Franklin mix again… :rolleyes: :violin :confused:

I'm sure they've read and heard all the criticism of what went before - and I think you're right, the Doobies would seem the most likely next dose of Quadio. And maybe some Eagles? Either way, I'd be jumping all over it...

While I'm very happy for all you "BullMoosers" who will be in receipt of this box set v.soon no doubt, el cheapo Amazon Italiano are not being quite so efficient.. they wrote earlier to say despatch would be on the 23rd and should receive by the 30th.. harumph.. I'll keep me eyes peeled for other deals during the week, I might end up cancelling Amazon Italy at this rate even though it's cheap I don't want to wait another 2 weeks past release date for this.

Whatever you do, please don't post that your's arrived but you haven't listened to it yet. Those posts drive me crazy. Just kidding, I expect plenty of those type of posts.

Excited about the original mix of II, and having III in quad as well.

Whatever you do, please don't post that your's arrived but you haven't listened to it yet. Those posts drive me crazy. Just kidding, I expect plenty of those type of posts.

Excited about the original mix of II, and having III in quad as well.

Haha.. No danger of that from my end matey! :D
Seems I won't be getting mine til the end of the month now anyway - by which time many members here and elsewhere will have long received theirs..
..and besides that, when mine does finally show up, I'm gonna rip the shrinkwrap off and play the dickens out of those discs in it asap..!! :upthumb

"III" will be very exciting! (I've still never heard the Quad of "III".. the old SQ LPs have proved impossible to get a hold of!) now I'm no Chicago aficionado :eek: but on Quad quality basis alone of those Chicago Quads I have heard, I'm most excited to hear VI, VII and X in this set! Hurry up Amazon Italy, I need this in my life..!!! :D

Just to make some of you drool, ImportCDs is shipping as well!

DETAILS FOR SHIPPED ITEMS

Order Number: 1611-8494-XXXXXX
Shipping Method: Standard Shipping (3 - 10 days)
Shipping Address:

USA

Qty Item # Description Price Tracking
1 603497880669 Chicago Quadio Box - Chicago $98.80 924909010940123XXXXXXX

PS - I ordered 2, 1 from Bullmoose because they posted here first, and one from ImportCDs because it was a cheap backup! :)

Shipping notice today from ImportCDs - wasn't expecting that! Figured I'd be waiting 'til the end of next week for it. $102.79 w/shipping... has anyone gotten any lower than that anywhere?

Back