Connecting sources to Sanyo quad receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnash53

I landed a working Sanyo DCX3000KA quad receiver for little money. Am curious about quad sound... mainly the synthesized quad from 2 channel sources and how that sounds.

Check out the pics. The RCA inputs on the back have both 2-channel connections and 4-channel connections.

I only have 2-channel sources to connect (CD player, mp3 player, internet radio streaming, phono). Will I still be able to at least get synthesized 4 channel sound from 2 channel sources connected to the 2 channel connections on the back?

If so, do I use the "matrix" and/or the "SQ Logic" settings on the front?

I will have 2 pairs of speakers connected to the receiver.

I've sought out a manual for this unit or similar ones on Hifi Engine with no success. There's a manual for a similar unit on eBay but with shipping it's over $20. So I'm trying to see if I can get enough info to at least get me up and running.. and listening to what this unit can do.

I know that there are numerous other quad receivers that may produce "better" sound than this unit. I'm just wading in the shallows of quadraphonic sound for now.

Thank you for your help and comments.

Attachments

• sanyoquad 004 (Large).jpg
    sanyoquad 004 (Large).jpg
    142 KB · Views: 144
  • sanyoquad 001 (Large).jpg
    sanyoquad 001 (Large).jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 118
  • sanyoquad 002 (Large).jpg
    sanyoquad 002 (Large).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 110
  • sanyoquad 003 (Large).jpg
    sanyoquad 003 (Large).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 125
Welcome hnash.

Just connect the stereo sources to the L/R Aux inputs. If you ever get a mch player (SACD, DVD-A, BD) you can connect it to the 4-ch Aux inputs. You might need eventually an external source switch (80 USD or so).

It seems it can be used a a 4-ch preamp, so with a mch power amp it could be the start of something good.

Hey man.. thanks for the reply. "mch"... means "multichannel"?

I'm getting some nice synthesized 4-channel while streaming audio from Pandora. I like it. I have it on the "matrix" selection right now. Is "SQ Logic" also a synthesized 4-channel option?

Thanks... and any other comments would be appreciated and welcome.

Hey man.. thanks for the reply. "mch"... means "multichannel"?

Yep.

I'm getting some nice synthesized 4-channel while streaming audio from Pandora. I like it. I have it on the "matrix" selection right now. Is "SQ Logic" also a synthesized 4-channel option?

SQ Logic would be for decoding SQ records, but nothing prevents you from checking how you like it with stereo sources.

There are much better modern options for decoding SQ (and QS), such as the Involve digital unit. Check the archives.

Enjoy!

Congratulations! You are already a quadraphonics lover. It's the best!

Yes, you can use the SQ setting for synthesizing quad from 2 channel also. Just listen to both and see what you like the best. I actually like the SQ setting on my equipment for listening to 2 channel. I think it's because SQ has always maintained the 20dB of separation between the two front channels but that's not all of it. I just like the sound the best. Instruments seem to be distributed better in the soundfield than if I set it to 2-4 synthesis or regular matrix.

Wait until you try CD-4 or the players Pablo mentioned.

You are on your way!

Doug

Hey I was composing a response and it said it was "Auto saved"... and when I went to post the reply, it said I had waited too long and to refresh the page.. I did and now I can't find the post. Where did it go? And how do I get it back?

Thankx

Doug... thanks for the encouragement. Before I got this Sanyo Quad receiver, I was listening to "Quatravox" on my Realistiic receivers (of which I now have 4... too many) and I really liked it. But since I connected this Sanyo Quad, WOW... it's like Quatravox on steroids.

The Sanyo is pretty simple... which I like... but I'm wondering if perhaps there isn't another quad receiver with the simplicity of the Sanyo but with perhaps a bit more power (I think I read the Sanyo is like 10 wpc RMS... seems low but I can't find genuine documentation for this). Can you suggest some other good Quad receivers? I've heard that Sansui's are the best especially the QRX-x001 series. I nearly bought a Sansui QRX-6001 from a fellow on Audiokarma for $225 but just couldn't justify that expense without hearing quad for myself... because I'd never heard it until now. I'd like to find a good Realistic Quad receiver that has Quatravox as one of the options... and they are out there, but it would be nice to get one that had been serviced (too much to ask?). Anyways, if you know of any good quad receivers and ones for sale that you know are good, let me know.

I doubt that I'll get into quad vinyl because while I'm 61 and the 70s music was great, I find that I listen 90% of the time to good quality internet radio such as what my Pandora One account gets me. It's interesting that some of the streamed audio sounds like it was made for quad listening, and other songs sound about the same as 2-channel. I guess it's the way the songs are recorded. And I doubt that I'll buy quad CDs either... I haven't bought or downloaded a CD in 6+ months.

So... WOW... this has gone on way too long... I want a very good quad receiver for listening to good quality internet radio. Anything you can suggest would be welcome.

Thanks so much for your response.

Hal

Doug... thanks for the encouragement. Before I got this Sanyo Quad receiver, I was listening to "Quatravox" on my Realistiic receivers (of which I now have 4... too many) and I really liked it. But since I connected this Sanyo Quad, WOW... it's like Quatravox on steroids.

The Sanyo is pretty simple... which I like... but I'm wondering if perhaps there isn't another quad receiver with the simplicity of the Sanyo but with perhaps a bit more power (I think I read the Sanyo is like 10 wpc RMS... seems low but I can't find genuine documentation for this). Can you suggest some other good Quad receivers? I've heard that Sansui's are the best especially the QRX-x001 series. I nearly bought a Sansui QRX-6001 from a fellow on Audiokarma for $225 but just couldn't justify that expense without hearing quad for myself... because I'd never heard it until now. I'd like to find a good Realistic Quad receiver that has Quatravox as one of the options... and they are out there, but it would be nice to get one that had been serviced (too much to ask?). Anyways, if you know of any good quad receivers and ones for sale that you know are good, let me know.

I doubt that I'll get into quad vinyl because while I'm 61 and the 70s music was great, I find that I listen 90% of the time to good quality internet radio such as what my Pandora One account gets me. It's interesting that some of the streamed audio sounds like it was made for quad listening, and other songs sound about the same as 2-channel. I guess it's the way the songs are recorded. And I doubt that I'll buy quad CDs either... I haven't bought or downloaded a CD in 6+ months.

So... WOW... this has gone on way too long... I want a very good quad receiver for listening to good quality internet radio. Anything you can suggest would be welcome.

Thanks so much for your response.

Hal
Hey Hal,

I just picked up an old realistic I’m extremely excited about trying out once I get it cleaned and hooked up. I’m especially excited to try qvox

Now I’m seeing a sanyo with sq matrix pop up and I’m wondering if you still stand by what you said here 6 years ago that the Sanyo sq matrix is “quatravox on steroids”

Thanks in advance pal! Hope to hear from ya soon

Back