Counting Crows - August and Everything After Live at Town Hall Blu ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
Apologies if there's already a thread for this release, but if there is, I couldn't find it. Anyway, I just ordered a copy of this live performance of a their stellar debut album. Apparently there's 2.0 PCM and DTS-HD and DD 5.1 mixes, done by Bob Clearmountain by all accounts; while Bob Ludwig did the mastering. It's also been recorded in native Hi-Def, so it should look decent, too. There's very little on the web about the surround mix, and the only comment I came across suggested it was more atmospheric than discrete, but I guess I'll find out on Tuesday..

Night night, bedtime for me now as I need to be up bright and early for work :zzzzz

71z9Mlbcg8L._SL1024_.jpg

Last edited:
Let us know how it is Windhoek........Snood a fan of the Crows :banana:

Will do snood. I knew this live album had been released on CD and vinyl, but somehow, never knew it had been released on blu ray and DVD. I just hope it's not a Universal release ... ah, it's an Eagle-Rock release, phew :banana:

Good find Windhoek...I will be curious to see if it suffers from "camera whiplash"...a lot of these concerts have excessive camera motion...by that I mean the different angles are displayed so fast it's annoying..it's like it's only a few seconds and off to the next camera angle...I have come to expect most concerts to be more like "expanded stereo" than discrete...and although I would prefer discrete it wouldn't keep me from getting this one...although there are exceptions to the rule...I don't expect live concerts to equal studio releases...although this site isn't that credible in their reviews...here is some information about this one HERE

I saw that Clint and it's the only site I've seen to make a comment about the surround mix and by and large, it's fairly positive about it. Regardless, I'll find out what it's like for myself in 24 hours and will share my thoughts :)

To me, a concert is all about whether it sounds good, was filmed well and whether the performance was good. Discretely mixed concerts are the exception, not the rule, though they tend to be cool!

I'm listening to it just now and I say that because although there are some steady camera shots, there are times the shots suddenly change which sadly gives a sense of camera whiplash. It's not really bad, but too annoying to put up with, so I turned off the display.

I'm also listening to it without visuals because it seems Adam Duritz took some acting classes as he performs the songs as if he were an actor who sings. Some might like it, I find it distracting. In fact, considering his hairstyle, he actually performs like I imagine crazy eyes would, were she the band's lead singer - lack of beard and other bits notwithstanding!

Crazy-Eyes-.jpg

The songs are a little different to the album, as often happens with live performances, but even so, I get the impression that it would have been a great gig to have been at because the band put on a good gig. The rears are used mostly for atmospheric purposes and although music comes from the rears in addition to crowd noise, it's been reverb'd up to make the overall sound sound more, well, atmospheric.

What's clear is that it's a damn fine album and when I rip it for playback on my HTPC, I'll happily play it as if it had been released as a BDA: all music, no visuals :)

Even when I saw CC on their sophomore album tour, they had already completely rearranged most AaEA songs (in a cool way).
AaEA is a tremendously great album. It would kick total ass in 5.1.

Back