Dave Matthews Band - Central Park Concert "Cortez the Killer"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
So I was in one of those strange loops where I somehow went from wherever I was on the internet into YouTube and was watching some Neil Young stuff, and I saw a link to "Cortez the Killer" live by the Dave Matthews Band with special guest Warren Haynes, so I clicked on it. For the next 10 minutes I was very happy. It was a great version.

Now I could not name a Dave Matthews Band tune, never listened to him but of course knew he was out there and popular, but this 10 minute version of "Cortez" really blew me away. I went over to Amazon and got the DVD for $12 (or whatever, it was not much) with the intent of ripping this one tune for my car.

Turns out the DVD has a 5.1 track, and it's not that bad!! Check out the wav forms below. It's far from Elliot Scheiner discrete, but it's not bad.

So after I ripped it I thought I'd pass the info along to you all, as I know there are quite a few Neil Young fans here, and this is a very worthy cover worth checking out. Warren Hayes does a great job on the solos as well.

Looking at the wav rip, it appears the 5.1 doesn't have the loudness issue that the stereo has, but then again, that could be just a visual perception.

DMB Cortez.jpg

Here's the YouTube video if you want to check it out

Back