Deep purple machine head sacd help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIDIQ

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi guys and gals. I have the sacd of deep purple machine head emi 2003, and it is a different surround mix than the original quad mix. I noticed there is a 5.1 wea japan sacd. does anyone know if that one has the original quad mix on it? I like the sacd 5.1 mix on the emi one, i just like the quad mix better. I also had the dvda which had a totally different mix also, but i liked the sacd to that mix better, so i sold that one. Thanks for the help.

Hi guys and gals. I have the sacd of deep purple machine head emi 2003, and it is a different surround mix than the original quad mix. I noticed there is a 5.1 wea japan sacd. does anyone know if that one has the original quad mix on it? I like the sacd 5.1 mix on the emi one, i just like the quad mix better. I also had the dvda which had a totally different mix also, but i liked the sacd to that mix better, so i sold that one. Thanks for the help.
It’s very confusing to figure it out on sacd as there’s several versions of it. I’d direct you to Discogs as all the info is there. I’ve got the 2011 sacd 5.1 and 2.0 version (not quad) but according to Discogs there’s 4 SACD’s of it and 3 of them are quad but there’s a note on one that says the us quad version has never been issued so they’re all the uk quad version. Minefield.

thanks for the reply. i think i got it figured out. the uk sacd is the one to get, and they have a bunch for sale on discogs. thanks.

So after further inspection, i guess the us quad has not been released on any modern format. It looks like i have the uk sacd quad mix already, must be different than the us quad mix. Come on RHINO release the us quad mix, it is much better than the uk mix.

thanks for the info. I definately have the uk version already. But I sure wish somebody (RHINO - hint - hint) would release the US quad version.

Differences between UK Quad and US Quad.

UK Fronts: Bass / Drums
UK Rears: Guitar left, Organ right.

US Fronts: Guitar left, Organ right.
US Rears: Bass / Drums

On Smoke On the Water...

UK Fronts: Bass / Drums AND guitar at low volume
UK Rears: Guitar left, Organ right. Guitar solo

US Rears: Bass / Drums Guitar solo

PS
2003 SACD includes 3 bonus tracks from the 5.1 mix from 2001.
The 2012 DVD release only include 1 bonus track from the 5.1 mix from 2001. The 1972 B-side.

I've listened to the US quad mix and I'm not keen on it. The UK quad mix works better for me musically once the rears have been corrected.
Do you mean that Blackmore is in the right channel on the UK Quad LP release?
Peter Mew did the original mix and also made the changes to Lazy for the SACD release. Originally 6.54 now 7.22
The original UK Quad was released as CD3: Quad SQ Stereo in 2012. And it sounds like the rears are in "mono". ..

Do you mean that Blackmore is in the right channel on the UK Quad LP release?
I was listening to someone else's rip and decode of the SQ LP, I can't honestly say which country's release it was. But it matched neither a Q4 reel transfer of the US quad mix nor the UK SACD. Swapping the rears on the SACD made it match the SQ LP, and several people involved agreed.

It's been a few years since I listened to any of these so I'm not going to make any statements about what is in which speaker, too easy to get it wrong. I do recall comparing to SQ wasn't trivial because SQ decodes don't usually remove the rear information from the fronts, so anything hard rear on the SACD was mid way between rear and front on the SQ decode. But it all became much clearer once the rears were swapped.

It's surprising how many releases have the rears swapped, O'Jays Ship Ahoy SACD is another one.

Differences between UK Quad and US Quad.

UK Fronts: Bass / Drums
Digging the dirt here

I have something else here on my EMI version. The SACD arrived this morning

From the begining (Highway Star)
Front : drums
middle plan : vocals
rear left guitar + bass the later being barely audible
rear right : organ

Digging the dirt here

I have something else here on my EMI version. The SACD arrived this morning

From the begining (Highway Star)
Front : drums
middle plan : vocals
rear left guitar + bass the later being barely audible
rear right : organ

Try Smoke

On Smoke On the Water...

Try Smoke

On Smoke On the Water...

Yeah what I was saying, non coherent and different from one track to another.

There are two 'original' quad mixes from the 1970s, the US and the UK versions. They are quite different, not just channel assignments and EQ, but with the UK mix actually omitting part of "Lazy", for example.

and the 5.1 from 2000 is entirely different again from both of them

This has been discussed in detail here on other threads for example here and here

There are two 'original' quad mixes from the 1970s, the US and the UK versions. They are quite different, not just channel assignments and EQ, but with the UK mix actually omitting part of "Lazy", for example.

and the 5.1 from 2000 is entirely different again from both of them

This has been discussed in detail here on other threads for example here and here
Earlier:
Peter Mew did the original mix and also made the changes to Lazy for the SACD release. Originally 6.54 now 7.22
The original UK Quad was released as CD3: Quad SQ Stereo in 2012. And it sounds like the rears are in "mono". ..

Earlier:

The 6:40 Lazy, seems to have originally come from the German Purple/Hor Zu (SHZE 344) quad LP release in 1972. The original UK quad LP (Purple Q4TPSA 7504) also from 1972, lists Lazy at 7:19. I do now own either of these to verify.

The 2002 SACD UK 'quad ' mix (actually a 4.1 mix plus a silent C channel) ('mastered [using DSD] by Peter Mew') , which I have heard, has a Lazy (track 6) that is 7:06 (as per discogs Discogs and the rip I have), not 7:22 . It is missing part of the final guitar solo. The elision occurs at 6:05 on the SACD track.

The multichannel 'alt version ' Lazy on the SACD (track 9, length 7:21) is really just the 2001 DVD-A 5.1 track (7:23) mixed by Klingberg, though the phase of all channels is flipped compared to the DVD-A . Ditto the multichannel "alt version' of Maybe I'm A Leo" and "When A Blind Man Cries" (tracks 8 and 10)

All of these multichannel tracks are also present on the DVD of the 2012 boxed set, thought the three 'alt'/bonus tracks are presented in different order compared to the SACD (and are properly credited to Klingberg). The timings are also slightly different, but inconsequentially so.

Original Album Quad Mix (Quad to 4.1DTS 96/24 & Dolby Digital) (the mix and mastering of this is credited to Peter Mew)

DVD-14 Lazy 7:07 (i.e., essentially the same as the SACD)

Bonus 5.1 Mixes (5.1 DTS 96/24 & Dolby Digital) (mixes credited to Paul Klingberg)
DVD-16 When A Blind Man Cries 3:28
DVD-17 Maybe I'm A Leo 4:56
DVD-18 Lazy 7:26

Last edited:
Back