Deep purple machine head sacd help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revisiting these 3 mixes today.
I take back my earlier comment about the 2001 5.1 remix having good fidelity! I clearly had the US quad in mind with that comment.

I believe I'm hearing someone's 10k eq boost on the copy of the Q4 US quad mix I have. I did alter this copy myself with a little restoration mastering some years ago and I remember one of the things I did was turn down some of that 10k. Should have attenuated it more... This mix still has the best 'fullest' 'meatiest' sound and fidelity of the 3. It also has the most reverb! This is the reverb heavier mix, not the 2001 5.1.

Yes, the US quad has too much reverb, compared to the original stereo. So does the 2001 DVDA 5.1. It irritates me in both cases. Only the UK quad sounds as properly 'dry' as the stereo to me on things like Gillan's entrance on 'Lazy', but that quad mix has its own issues.

Last edited:
Mastering corner:
The 2001 5.1 mix tracks as bonus tracks on that SACD are fully polarity reversed for some reason. (All channels.) No real effect on the sound with that. Just noticed it when I zoomed in on the waves looking to confirm visually that they were the same audio just like they sounded.
beat you to it here a week ago

are you telling me you don't read every word I write? ;>

Yes, the US quad has too much reverb, compared to the original stereo. So does the 2001 DVDA 5.1. It irritates me in both cases. Only the UK quad sounds as properly 'dry' as the stereo to me on things like Gillan's entrance on 'Lazy', but that quad mix has its own issues.
That's why I prefer the UK quad mix despite its issues, it is a better match sonically for the original stereo.

beat you to it here a week ago

are you telling me you don't read every word I write? ;>
Haha. I will say that I thought I was the most reverb hating mixer around before reading some of your posts! I give you many points and respect for that even if we agree on nothing else! (I prefer slaps and other delays to a bunch of shhh shhh shhh crap all over my mix! And yes, I know about lo-pass. That would be mandatory SOP with most verbs!)

I think I'm hearing a lot more sound and detail in the US mix. Like the actual recorded remnants of the original room sounds in the recording. The UK and 2001 mixes just show the 'surface' of the recordings as it were. Cymbal fades are nearly gone in the UK mix. The stereo mix is a little like that too IMHO. Obviously there is actual added reverb as well. The depth of the mix sounds great to me. This is one of the quads that got it really right and better than the stereo mix in every way. Perhaps we'll have to disagree on all that! :)

Still pretty wild that we get 3 surround mixes of this one!

When the time comes, the US quad mix will be offered up.
Could we have the US & the UK Quad mixes on the same disc?
Not this year.
Fairly vague about the timeline and possibility of a Quadio deluxe edition of this DP album.

I'm fine with too it coming in Jan. 2025 actually because I feel I've been lucky and that several of my very top "quad" choices from the Warner Records vaults have now been issued. Not only that but there are several things that are equally important to me that I would still like to see this year in the series.

Last edited:
Back