Did DUAL make quadraphonic equipment?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Did DUAL make quadraphonic equipment? If so what did they make? Does anyone have any model numbers or pictures? The reason I ask is because of this page on the dual reference site:

http://dual-reference.com/History/Hist5.html

It states:

"1973 - The official introduction of Quadraphonic sound during the
electronic trade show in Berlin, Germany.

DUAL introduces a complete line of Quadraphonic equipment."

I have looked all around the site, and so far I have not found any Quadraphonic equipment listed.

It is likely that the quad equipment was German only (like so many great DUAL models) and likely extremely rare.

The closest I have seen is Dual turntables on Noresco all-in-one systems. They had a 4 channel matrix, probably Regular Matrix (QS). Nothing spectacular. Noresco was as far as I know, the Dual component line here in Canada. Seems I have heard that they also re-badged a JVC 4DD5 CD4 demodulator.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that if that blurb on the site is true, and DUAL actually manufactured quad equipment, it was probably for the German market only.

It was common for companies like Noresco to use the turntables in thier equipment in the early DUAL days, so it's possible that they ended up in various equipment with (probably very limited) quad capabilities.

I would like to know for sure if DUAL actually manufactured or even rebranded any quad equipment.

Thanks! maybe we can find some more DUAL quad equipment.

Well, I have a Dual 1225 turntable, made for CD-4 with a cd-4 antiskate adjustment clearly labeled. I use it with a Grado cartridge to play my CD-4 records.

OMG you just jogged my memory. My Dual 504 has the CD-4 anti-skate controlls. I had to download the manual since my 504 is in storage. I needed to make sure I was right. :D

Thanks! maybe we can find some more DUAL quad equipment.

There you go: Wegavision

Most, if not all, Dual equipment being quadraphonic had only the basic encoder chip from Motorola (MC1312P), not the additional "gain riding" chips to complete the chip set.

The outboard CD-4 decoder is a rebranded 4DD-5, as already mentioned.

Many turntables of the seventies were CD-4 compatible, with the low capacitance wiring and the additional CD-4 antiskating scale. But they weren't equipped with dedicated CD-4 pickups, IIRC.

-Kristian

I am kind of in a temporary living arrangement of which I have limited room. The beautiful Dual 504 will soon come out to play again when I get a serious home again. I miss it very much. Best turntable I have have ever had.

dual78-79-17.jpg

Yes, I used to have that model before I sold all my vinyl. Oh well. Mistakes happen.

That advertisement is a beautiful pin-up, lol

Back