Dolby Atmos Ceiling Speakers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you tell me the brand/model of that chair? I actually posted on AVSFORUM just the other day asking for recommendations of seating just like that. Thanks!
They're from Rooms To Go, The Sofia Vergara Gallia Way collection.
They have recliners, sofas, sectionals in the power retractable headrest design.
Not overly expensive, I'm very happy with mine.
https://www.roomstogo.com/furniture...way-navy-leather-dual-power-recliner/17610139
sofia-vergara-gallia-way-navy-leather-dual-power-recliner_17610139_image-item

I've always found "Home Theater" seating to be VERY problematic due to the high seat backs. The designers/marketers must think we don't have surround speakers or simply copy what are in theaters...which have speakers vertically positioned far above what a residential environment is like. They think cup holders is da bomb!

They are! We can have cup holders and low backs, can't we?

I've always found "Home Theater" seating to be VERY problematic due to the high seat backs. The designers/marketers must think we don't have surround speakers or simply copy what are in theaters...which have speakers vertically positioned far above what a residential environment is like. They think cup holders is da bomb!

I am outfitting my new music room presently, and looking at something like this (chairs, sofas, sectionals) that not only has a low back but, when reclined, provides neck support, etc.
View attachment 70224

@ted_b, Can you tell me brand or model of this chair?

Speaking of movies only Disney and Sony 1/3 of the time conform with this "stupid guideline" [Atmos bottom end about 100Hz] (yes I will present the case) most other movie studios run the tops wide open to the cinema mix, or 40hz +-.

So my wild idea to put full-size acoustic suspension bookshelf speakers in the ceiling may have merit, other than the fact that I already have them in my collection of speakers. Work already in progress:

IMG_20210818_162454013_MP.jpg

I'll have a full blown report with pictures when I finish.

So my wild idea to put full-size acoustic suspension bookshelf speakers in the ceiling may have merit, other than the fact that I already have them in my collection of speakers. Work already in progress:

View attachment 70286

Awesome, can't wait to see the work in progress.

Y

View attachment 70286

You have the full-blown endorsement from the world's most accomplished ATMOS room designer. LOL, I hope the speakers go down close to forty Hz. Also, get these movies shown here in a Kaleidescape demo script to get that pounding effect from overhead.

Attachments

• AUG 21 IMMERSIVE.png
    AUG 21 IMMERSIVE.png
    746.5 KB · Views: 100
Y

You have the full-blown endorsement from the world's most accomplished ATMOS room designer. LOL, I hope the speakers go down close to forty Hz. Also, get these movies shown here in a Kaleidescape demo script to get that pounding effect from overhead.

They are Boston Acoustic A60's which go down to 52Hz. I have A70's for the 7.1 rears which go down to 40Hz, but they are much too big to fit in the ceiling.

I have a question about Auro 3D. The Marantz receiver instruction manual says: "For the best Auro 3D experience Surround Height speakers are recommended, however you may substitute Rear Height speakers from a Dolby Atmos speaker setup in place of Surround Height speakers." Is anyone doing Auro 3D upmixing using the Atmos overhead speaker configuration? If so, are you satisfied with it?

I can put the Atmos Rear Height speakers over the Surrounds if needed, but I will have to with a smaller speaker there such as a Boston A40. I read/viewed that, according to the Auro people, putting the Rear Height speakers directly above the surrounds minimally impacts the performance of Atmos.

I have a question about Auro 3D. The Marantz receiver instruction manual says: "For the best Auro 3D experience Surround Height speakers are recommended, however you may substitute Rear Height speakers from a Dolby Atmos speaker setup in place of Surround Height speakers." Is anyone doing Auro 3D upmixing using the Atmos overhead speaker configuration? If so, are you satisfied with it?
My rear Atmos speakers are just slightly forward of the rear surrounds, maybe a foot or less. I find Auro 3D one of my fav upmixers but that does vary with the source.

I LOVE THE NEW DOLBY SURROUND UPMIXER THAT WAS UPDATED IN MARANTZ AND DENON HIGH-END MODELS. IT'S THE VERY BEST UPMIXER NOW. AND I HATED DSU TILL OCTOBER. RECOMMEND UPGRADING MOST OLDER RECEIVERS TO ONE OF THESE.

I LOVE THE NEW DOLBY SURROUND UPMIXER THAT WAS UPDATED IN MARANTZ AND DENON HIGH-END MODELS. IT'S THE VERY BEST UPMIXER NOW. AND I HATED DSU TILL OCTOBER. RECOMMEND UPGRADING MOST OLDER RECEIVERS TO ONE OF THESE.
Lucky for you, I'm retired and I will have to stick with my old Denon Atmos only AVR.And that's fine by me. :cool:

How can you determine which build of DSU you have?
I have an older Marantz 7703 pre/pro but it's had a number of updates over time?

I WOULD LOOK FOR LAST NOVEMBERS PRESS RELEASE ON THE NEW DSU, IT LISTS THE UPGRADEABLE MODELS.
My last firmware update was 9-2020 so doesn't seem like I got that one.
OTOH I do have the "center spread option and the rest" so I don't know.
Nothing to worry over, I got 3 options in DSU, DTS-Neural, and Auro 3D. I always find one I like. ;)
Thanks for the info ar

My favorite feature of the new DSU seems to be limited to the flagship models according to the second link. Widths channels deployment is sooo good and organic...

I will call the D&M dealer hotline and inquire exactly what new models down the line support this killer feature, hope there are some lesser units that do! Will report.

My favorite feature of the new DSU seems to be limited to the flagship models according to the second link. Widths channels deployment is sooo good and organic...

I will call the D&M dealer hotline and inquire exactly what new models down the line support this killer feature, hope there are some lesser units that do! Will report.

Thanks CINERAMAX. Inquiring on the dealer hotline will be very helpful as this topic is confusing. According to the first link you posted, the DSU upgrade restores the "center spread" feature that was eliminated in post-2018 models:

DSU Upgrade.png

They then move on to discuss the DTS upgrades.

Looking at the Marantz SR7013 manual, a 2018 model, it has the "Center Spread" function:

center spread.png

So the question is: Does this latest DSU update simply bring the codec's features back to what it was before 2019, or does it truly add some other upgrade to DSU? According to the second post (the announcement from Dennon/Marantz) what has been added is:
- Dolby 3rd party upmixing on Dolby content restoration
- Dolby Center Spread restoration
- Dolby Surround Front Wide support on the high-end models
- Dolby Height Virtualization on the high-end models

According to what has been written, the last two upgrade items would not affect the DSU's performance unless one either plans to install Front Wide speakers or use Dolby Virtualization on something like a 7.1 speaker arrangement.

If you are wanting full range speakers in the ceiling, rather than mounting bookshelf speakers in the ceiling wouldn't it be easier to install coaxial or triaxial single speakers?

Back