DSOTM DVD-A/V - Review in HiFi News!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am now wondering that, given all of this, er, exposure, that someone in the PF/EMI/Sony camp might start wondering where these alleged master tapes came from, and start causing a problem for whoever the soul was that gave them up.

I am now wondering that, given all of this, er, exposure, that someone in the PF/EMI/Sony camp might start wondering where these alleged master tapes came from, and start causing a problem for whoever the soul was that gave them up.

I doubt whether they even know about this. They are too pre-occupied with Blu-Ray, and creating other formats that they won't support and....and....

I doubt whether they even know about this. They are too pre-occupied with Blu-Ray, and creating other formats that they won't support and....and....

Hey! Dark Side of the Moon in Blu-Ray! There's a rumour waiting to happen ... and it started in Canada. Everyone blames Canada for something. Mike.

To your knowledge, are they as happy as we are with the result?

My guess is that they aren't happy at all, and they are not at all concerned with the sonic result. I think that in this climate of copy protection and music downloads, this is a huge slap in the face to the industry.

Don't get me wrong, they deserve it, but I would bet that they would like to have a head on a plate, and they badly want to find out who is responsible. I hope they don't find him or her, but the more publicity this receives, the more tenacious they will be to get to the bottom of it.

Mike.

Don't get me wrong, they deserve it, but I would bet that they would like to have a head on a plate, and they badly want to find out who is responsible. I hope they don't find him or her, but the more publicity this receives, the more tenacious they will be to get to the bottom of it.

Might make for an interesting day in court:

"So, EMI, you claim that the defendant illegally duplicated one of your official releases?"

"Uh, no, it was never released."

"But you were planning to release it and the the market's been tainted?"

"Well, actually, we had no plans."

"So this release is hurting you how, exactly?"

"Uhhh....."

FWIW, I can't see them pursuing Alan Parsons in court (although stranger things have happened I guess).

Why would they? Alan probably had nothing to do with this leaking.

I was just going to say the same thing. Why would he jeopardize things on such an old recording. He has his own recordings to sell. While I am sure he is proud of his work on DSOTM, it was a blip on his radar.

I agree completely ... BUT ... WHY THE HELL would anyone friggin' NAME him if it was him. Geez! Let's leave whoever it is alone and quit speculating. Do we really want to get this person in deep shit?

I agree completely ... BUT ... WHY THE HELL would anyone friggin' NAME him if it was him. Geez! Let's leave whoever it is alone and quit speculating. Do we really want to get this person in deep shit?

Definately not. The people at the record company have brains to figure this out anyway if they really want to.....oh.....as long as they keep marketing people out of the speculation of course.

You would think they would have brains enough to leave it alone as to not draw attention to their own failures in MC,especially when everyone is raving about it.

This DVD-A isn't some simple "upmix" created on a PC somewhere.

The tools required to assemble a project of this magnitude (including access to the master tape) would not be things available to a "layperson".

For the record, I have no idea who created the disc - I just think it is one of the most significant musical artifacts I've ever come across.

This DVD-A isn't some simple "upmix" created on a PC somewhere.

I'm fully aware of that. I, and many others have already heard this mix, ad nauseaum. Someone on the inside got to the master tapes and made a really good sounding version. That's all. Whoever it was (and I still contend that AP has better things to do), we should thank them.

The only people at risk are those who are selling copies of the disc to the public. It would be a nice thing to do if everyone stopped asking who did this nice thing for us. He/she is anonymous for a damned good reason. Get it?

Don't blame AP.

I attended an AES sponsored surround sound seminar a couple of years ago as mentioned here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3782&highlight=aes

The presenter/engineer basically played and talked about different surround mixes (a few were made by him and unreleased). He discussed his mixing philosophies and techniques and gave the attendees the ins and outs of his Nuendo system.

During the break, he played the quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon. At the time, I had recently gotten my hands on a dts copy taken from the master tape (and was to swear that it didn't exist). As soon as "Breathe" kicked in, I knew that this guy's copy was from the same source. I asked him where he got it, and he said something to the effect that before the SACD was released, Dts Entertainment distributed cdr copies of the quad mix from the master tape to industry people to listen to and compare to the new mix. I am paraphrasing what he said to me purely from memory (I wrote down what he said but can't find my notes). No matter what the exact details are, the fact is that this was available to quite a few people who I'm sure made copies. Copies probably turned into more copies, into more copies, etc. So who eventually made the final "product" could be among quite a number of people.

I originally wanted to post my experience, but was afraid of doing anything that might jeopardize the same thing happening with the quad mix of "Wish You Were Here". I was hoping I could one day to hear the quad mix off the master just like DSOTM. At this point though, it doesn't matter. I doubt Capitol (or whoever controls them) will be as liberal in handing out the master quad mix of WYWH the way they did DSOTM.

I remember those early DTS ads. I think there was one that went something like..."Imagine if you could hear Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon the way it was supposed to be heard". I also remember reading reviews of the Millenium where the reviewers mentioned that they heard DSOTM and it sounded great.

I am sure that this was supposed to come out as a DTS CD, then something happened. Maybe Tad can elaborate.....

Back