Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a 2 SACD set of Charley Pride quads...?

I'd be down for that. There's lots to pick from but I'd wonder if there may be issues with regards to the estate. I've heard rumor that's also the reason tying up anything from Jerry Reed and probably Waylon Jennings as well. But I agree; there's still lots to mine from the RCA catalog if everybody could get their poop in a group!

Make mine on BluRay please, SACD's are still too big a PITA to deal with. ;)

I'd be down for that. There's lots to pick from but I'd wonder if there may be issues with regards to the estate. I've heard rumor that's also the reason tying up anything from Jerry Reed and probably Waylon Jennings as well. But I agree; there's still lots to mine from the RCA catalog if everybody could get their poop in a group!

Jerry Reed
Waylon Jennings
Dolly Parton
Charley Pride
The Youngbloods
Jose Feliciano
Harry Belafonte
These are all good, and if I may add Nilsson and Blue Oyster Cult to the running list. Oh hell with it, I’d take Volunteers by the Airplane too.

There are currently two titles I need to order from DV, I’d love to have six more discs to round it out to a nice 8 disc order. Standing by with credit card #, and in a big spending mood lately. It’s like I want all the physical media I can get in surround, I don’t care, I don’t care what the cost!

Jerry Reed
Waylon Jennings
Dolly Parton
Charley Pride
The Youngbloods
Jose Feliciano
Harry Belafonte

One that struck me the other day was Walter Murphy's "A Fifth of Beethoven". Who would control that today? The original stereo LP was put out on Private Stock but the Quad tape was only available through your local Ford Dealership as a white-label cartridge.... reproduced by RCA! So, would that particular 4-channel master tape still be in a Sony vault somewhere?

Discogs has this note:
"RCA's last quadraphonic release of popular music, this was only available via RCA Music Service mail-order."
That year would be 1979.

And Wikipedia says of Private Stock:
"The label closed down when (founder Larry) Uttal moved to London; he later returned to New York, where he died in 1993. His son Jai Uttal owned the rights to the catalogue after his father's death, however according to him:
The fate of the private stock masters has really been a mystery for me since my dad died. Theoretically I control the catalogue but I have no master tapes or vinyl and have no idea where they might be. Strange, isn't it? Warm wishes."

Discogs says that the lease on the storage of the tapes expired and the tapes went to auction. I guess none of these will ever be found. 😥

Discogs has this note:
"RCA's last quadraphonic release of popular music, this was only available via RCA Music Service mail-order."
That year would be 1979.

And Wikipedia says of Private Stock:
"The label closed down when (founder Larry) Uttal moved to London; he later returned to New York, where he died in 1993. His son Jai Uttal owned the rights to the catalogue after his father's death, however according to him:
The fate of the private stock masters has really been a mystery for me since my dad died. Theoretically I control the catalogue but I have no master tapes or vinyl and have no idea where they might be. Strange, isn't it? Warm wishes."

Discogs says that the lease on the storage of the tapes expired and the tapes went to auction. I guess none of these will ever be found. 😥

That quote from Jai Uttal is from an email I sent to him years back. I can't remember I posted it, the old BSN forum maybe.

Latest posts

Back