Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes, I hate to admit it. But after ALL this time, oh well. I have spent a boat-load of money at DV. I'll just wait a little longer for titles from rock or R&B/Soul to come out. Though, this is the Dutton Epoch branch of releases. Different from where the more popular quad titles come from.
Yeah it seems like they have a pattern of rotating classical every other release. We will have to wait for the next batch and hope it is rock since the previous batch had a lot of easy listening. The best we can hope for is they will keep 'em coming! :)

Yeah it seems like they have a pattern of rotating classical every other release. We will have to wait for the next batch and hope it is rock since the previous batch had a lot of easy listening. The best we can hope for is they will keep 'em coming! :)
yeah, I'm not going to cry about this, they have a significant (relatively speaking) fanbase who loves these Epoch releases. More power to them. I applaud them for putting these out. I notce this batch mostly if not all say Multi-Channel. Not Quad.

yeah, I'm not going to cry about this, they have a significant (relatively speaking) fanbase who loves these Epoch releases. More power to them. I applaud them for putting these out. I notce this batch mostly if not all say Multi-Channel. Not Quad.
I was just looking through them and noticed the same thing. Looks like they are all surround mixes but not quad. Looks like we will be waiting another few months. :(

Yikes, I hate to admit it. But after ALL this time, oh well. I have spent a boat-load of money at DV. I'll just wait a little longer for titles from rock or R&B/Soul to come out. Though, this is the Dutton Epoch branch of releases. Different from where the more popular quad titles come from.
I have selected a couple each from Isleys and O'Jays ready to order, but wanted to add in some rock from an new upcoming batch of new releases as to round it out to 8 titles. I'll just have to wait a little longer. Good thing Rhino has things coming as well, I do have things to listen to for now. And I need to order "Welcome" from Japan. I hate to admit it but I have no right to complain.

Last edited:
I have selected a couple each from Isleys and O'Jays ready to order, but wanted to add in some rock from an new upcoming batch of new releases as to round it out to 8 titles. I'll just have to wait a little longer. Good thing Rhino has things coming as well, I do have things to listen to for now. And I need to order "Welcome" from Japan. I have to admit it but I have no right to complain.
Curious in your reasoning for 8. Is it a packaging thing? Or maybe shipping costs?

Since there was only one quadraphonic release of Maynard Ferguson, Conquistador, I wish someone like Michael Dutton would take a couple of his classics, like MF Horn I and II, and do surround releases of them! Since he is mixing some classical recordings in surround, why not do some 5.1 or Quad mixes of some Jazz, Rock, or Pop that didn't have quad releases! Make it a double SACD and throw in the Quad of Conquistador also! :)

Curious in your reasoning for 8. Is it a packaging thing? Or maybe shipping costs?
Yes, I imagined that I am saving shipping costs, and I figured (incorrectly) that DV was coming soon with some rock since it's been a long time. I'd just wait a couple of months and toss in 3 rock, and a likely classical actually... unless there were four rock must haves.

Since there was only one quadraphonic release of Maynard Ferguson, Conquistador, I wish someone like Michael Dutton would take a couple of his classics, like MF Horn I and II, and do surround releases of them! Since he is mixing some classical recordings in surround, why not do some 5.1 or Quad mixes of some Jazz, Rock, or Pop that didn't have quad releases! Make it a double SACD and throw in the Quad of Conquistador also! :)
A lot easier siad than done. It's not like he threads up the tapes and hits record on the four track and starts mixing. Then "throws" on another title in quad for a double SACD.

Wish it were as easy as "throwing tapes" around and deciding that yeah that works, press up 6,000 copies.

A lot easier siad than done. It's not like he threads up the tapes and hits record on the four track and starts mixing. Then "throws" on another title in quad for a double SACD.

Wish it were as easy as "throwing tapes" around and deciding that yeah that works, press up 6,000 copies.
Yeah I didn't mean to imply that it is "easy". Just that he is doing some classical mixes so I would encourage him to consider some other recordings since he seems to have an interest in some. I guess in the end he has to choose recordings that he has the most passion for. :)

as much as i'd be absolutely over the moon for Dutton Vocalion to remaster and release "Conquistador" on Surround SACD (and i hope my fears are completely unfounded! 🙏 ) i'm a bit worried for the whereabouts of the Quad mastertapes to be honest.. 😬

Sony unleashed a slew of old CBS Quads on the streaming services either in Dolby Audio and/or 360 Reality Audio a couple of years back, including a number of titles many folks seemingly thought may be off the table such as Aerosmith's "Get Your Wings" & "Rocks" (now withdrawn, since Universal acquired the catalogue), Billy Joel's "Piano Man" & "Turnstiles", all the Edgar & Johnny Winter Quads, all Elvis' Quads, Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and two of the three Paul Simon Quads and even some previously unreleased RCA & CBS Quads of Elvis, Jefferson Airplane, The Youngbloods, Harry Belafonte, Tanya Tucker, etc., but the Quad of "Conquistador" was among the notable omissions, together with other later period ('75-'77) CBS Quads that also never appeared in 360 Reality Audio and/or Dolby Audio streaming form of titles such as Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years", B.T. Express' "Energy To Burn", Loggins & Messina's "Native Sons" and Wild Cherry's "Electrified Funk".

ahh.. hopefully i'm completely wrong and the tapes are all safely under lock and key and on DV's radar as i'd love them all on SACD!! 🤞🙏

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that it is "easy". Just that he is doing some classical mixes so I would encourage him to consider some other recordings since he seems to have an interest in some. I guess in the end he has to choose recordings that he has the most passion for. :)
There’s no downside to putting it out there what releases you would like to see come to market. Besides, outside of maybe @steelydave, none of us has any idea as to what Michael Dutton might have queued up for later this year. And negotiations for access to surround content in the vaults is certainly well above our pay grade as it were as music fans.

There’s no downside to putting it out there what releases you would like to see come to market. Besides, outside of maybe @steelydave, none of us has any idea as to what Michael Dutton might have queued up for later this year. And negotiations for access to surround content in the vaults is certainly well above our pay grade as it were as music fans.
But steelydave did indicate in a previous recent post that Michael J does indeed have some A List POP/ROCK titles IN THE WORKS!

Sony unleashed a slew of old CBS Quads on the streaming services either in Dolby Audio and/or 360 Reality Audio a couple of years back, including a number of titles many folks seemingly thought may be off the table such as Aerosmith's "Get Your Wings" & "Rocks" (now withdrawn, since Universal acquired the catalogue), Billy Joel's "Piano Man" & "Turnstiles", all the Edgar & Johnny Winter Quads, all Elvis' Quads, Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and two of the three Paul Simon Quads and even some previously unreleased RCA & CBS Quads of Elvis, Jefferson Airplane, The Youngbloods, Harry Belafonte, Tanya Tucker, etc., but the Quad of "Conquistador" was among the notable omissions, together with other later period ('75-'77) CBS Quads that also never appeared in 360 Reality Audio and/or Dolby Audio streaming form of titles such as Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years", B.T. Express' "Energy To Burn", Loggins & Messina's "Native Sons" and Wild Cherry's "Electrified Funk".
Oh....dang. I hadn't made that connection.

as much as i'd be absolutely over the moon for Dutton Vocalion to remaster and release "Conquistador" on Surround SACD (and i hope my fears are completely unfounded! 🙏 ) i'm a bit worried for the whereabouts of the Quad mastertapes to be honest.. 😬

ahh.. hopefully i'm completely wrong and the tapes are all safely under lock and key and on DV's radar as i'd love them all on SACD!! 🤞🙏
Amen! There are many on your list that would be instant purchases for me. Also glad to see there are a few Maynard fans still around! :)

6 new Dutton Epoch SACDs - March 2024

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/products.php?cat=2&sortby=9
Edit: Oops, it’s actually 6 new surround titles!
View attachment 102965

Woo, more Spain-Dunk! I'm in for most of these :D

It's niche classical but I've discovered more lovely niche classical from DV than from nearly any other label.

Not to mention a lot of these works have basically *never* been recorded - getting them in MCH basically would never happen if not for DV.

Last edited:
I notce this batch mostly if not all say Multi-Channel. Not Quad.
That's because these are new, original recordings by Dutton Epoch, not archival releases originally issued by other labels. They were recorded by MJD with multichannel playback in mind, not remixed for that format. However, like most modern "multichannel" classical releases, there is little to no discrete action; the rear channels offer mostly hall ambience.

However, like most modern "multichannel" classical releases, there is little to no discrete action; the rear channels offer mostly hall ambience.
That's how most legacy quad classical recordings were done too, nothing new about that approach. There are some quad classical releases that put you in the middle of the orchestra but not many.

Back