Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was attending, ur, Mortuary School in Syracuse, New York in 1971, I gathered a bunch of my fellow students and we went to see Bette Midler at a local theater where Barry Manilow was not only her arranger but pianist as well with Melissa Manchester as back up singer. She performed the entirety of THE DIVINE MISS M and was absolutely incendiary🔥! Been a fanboy ever since!
Just goes to show that mortuary students love live performances!

Here's a couple long-shots.

I've been re-listening to Bob Romano's version of the Guess Who's "Artificial Paradise". Without the grotesque delay, there is something there. The mix is very reminiscent of the "Rockin' " album with guitars in the rights and piano in the lefts. It ain't perfect. But.... it did make me wonder... maybe the Q8 is a misprint? Could the delay have been introduced at the reproduction level? It might be worth seeking out the Quad Master to see what the issue is. At the end of the day, "Artificial Paradise" is a GREAT album.

But if the Quad master is tainted.... there's still one more two-fer from the Guess Who, but it would require a remix.
- Artificial Paradise
- So Long, Bannatyne

Both albums have some great tunes on them and would complete the set. I still think remixing the Paramount show in it's entirety would also be worthwhile. It's never been released in it's entirety in stereo or surround.

If we're going to branch out into the world of remixing, and if the tapes still exist; how about "Procol Harum Live: In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra" ?
There was an article in a vintage magazine detailing how the album was prepared and intended for a Quad release but for whatever reason, never came to be. Let's go all Sam Beckett on this one and make right what once went wrong.

If we're going to branch out into the world of remixing, and if the tapes still exist; how about "Procol Harum Live: In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra" ?
There was an article in a vintage magazine detailing how the album was prepared and intended for a Quad release but for whatever reason, never came to be. Let's go all Sam Beckett on this one and make right what once went wrong.

According to an article/ printed advertisement submitted by one of our early qq members ..that Concert was presented Live in Quadraphonic, in Edmonton .
A good question is Why A&M Records failed to release the actual quad Concert in one of many available quad formats ?.. they utilized at the time.

Pardon my veering slightly off-topic, but this reminds me that one of the Eric Records compilations has "A Whiter Shade of Pale" in what sounds like true stereo. I assume it's DES, but it sounds terrific.

Pardon my veering slightly off-topic, but this reminds me that one of the Eric Records compilations has "A Whiter Shade of Pale" in what sounds like true stereo. I assume it's DES, but it sounds terrific.
Not DES, a different TAKE of the song, found and included on the 'Pandora's Box' collection: The "hit" version of "Whiter Shade Of Pale" was probably take three. The song as heard on "Pandora's Box" is take two. According to the notes, the multi-track tape for take three was believed to be MIA as of 1999. (Quote from a Steve Hoffman page).

Not DES, a different TAKE of the song, found and included on the 'Pandora's Box' collection: The "hit" version of "Whiter Shade Of Pale" was probably take three. The song as heard on "Pandora's Box" is take two. According to the notes, the multi-track tape for take three was believed to be MIA as of 1999. (Quote from a Steve Hoffman page).
I'll have to A/B it one of these days, but that doesn't seem like Eric's usual MO. I know the multitracks for the hit take disappeared long ago, sadly.

Someone here created a surround version several years back, and that one is clearly a different take (but still fun!).

So yeah. It has been quite a while since we've gotten anything from DV. If I'm not mistaken, it was Nov 2023. Even then, the last batch of rock titles was November 2022! That included Nugent and REO. In October 2023, we did get a couple R&B titles.

Wonder what will be next? About time for some rock, I'd say.

So yeah. It has been quite a while since we've gotten anything from DV. If I'm not mistaken, it was Nov 2023. Even then, the last batch of rock titles was November 2022! That included Nugent and REO. In October 2023, we did get a couple R&B titles.

Wonder what will be next? About time for some rock, I'd say.
Indeed “it’s been a long time since I’ve rock ‘n rolled”

I’m up for BOC T&M, Nilsson, any Jefferson Airplane like maybe Volunteers, Johnny or Edgar, or something like a previously unreleased quad surprise, why not?

According to an article/ printed advertisement submitted by one of our early qq members ..that Concert was presented Live in Quadraphonic, in Edmonton .
A good question is Why A&M Records failed to release the actual quad Concert in one of many available quad formats ?.. they utilized at the time.
A&M only used one format at a time. They started with QS, with Joan Baez's "Come From the Shadows"; switched to SQ for several releases, ultimately going to CD-4 (big mistake). I'm still convinced that, if a decoder, the calibre of the Surround Master, existed back in the 70's, CD-4 might never have happened. It wouldn't have been needed!

A&M only used one format at a time. They started with QS, with Joan Baez's "Come From the Shadows"; switched to SQ for several releases, ultimately going to CD-4 (big mistake). I'm still convinced that, if a decoder, the calibre of the Surround Master, existed back in the 70's, CD-4 might never have happened. It wouldn't have been needed!
Sort of a Deja Vu post. Although I was always an SQ supporter I think that all of the mixes put out by A&M would have been better suited to QS. A&M used SQ for most of their releases, then CD-4 towards the very end.

Ode was somehow associated with or distributed by A&M, Carole King "Music" in QS was fantastic. I don't know if any other quad was released by them except for some CD-4's in Japan. I would of loved it if "Tapestry","Fantasy" & "Rhymes & Reasons" had also been released in the QS format, with similar style mixes as "Music"!

Last edited:
My copy of Rick Wakeman’s “Journey to the Centre of the Earth” is in CD-4, but I’ve seen ads for it in SQ.
It was released in Brazil as SQ. Just checking I thought that I had a copy, but it's not listed in my Discogs "Collection". I see that there was a DVD-A as well so I'll have to get that one as well! More money spent!

Sort of a Deja Vu post. Although I was always an SQ supporter I think that all of the mixes put out by A&M would have been better suited to QS. A&M used SQ for most of their releases, then CD-4 towards the very end.

Ode was somehow associated with or distributed by A&M, Carole King "Music" in QS was fantastic. I don't know if any other quad was released by them except for some CD-4's in Japan. I would of loved it if "Tapestry","Fantasy" & "Rhymes & Reasons" had also been released in the QS format, with similar style mixes as "Music"!

ODE Records had 2 albums in QS , in USA .

Tommy with The London Symphony Orchestra released in 72.,
2 Album set.
QU89001 ODE Records.
LSO with many Rock stars , such as Sandy Denny , Ringo Starr , Rod Stewart.
I had it and I thought it played well through my QSD-2

ODE Records had 2 albums in QS , in USA .

Tommy with The London Symphony Orchestra released in 72.,
2 Album set.
QU89001 ODE Records.
LSO with many Rock stars , such as Sandy Denny , Ringo Starr , Rod Stewart.
I had it and I thought it played well through my QSD-2

1709664726799.jpeg

1709664768085.jpeg

6 new Dutton Epoch SACDs - March 2024
Dutton Epoch’s new release is headlined by State Fair, a tribute to the Great American Songbook. Martin Yates’s realisations of Vaughan Williams’s The Future and The Steersman are another landmark in our RVW series, while there are further volumes of Jean-Michel Damase’s and Paul Lacombe’s delightful orchestral music. The chamber works of British women composers are featured on two discs, and Lewis Foreman has written a fascinating book, Recording British Music, which chronicles the stories of many British composers and record labels – including, of course, Dutton Epoch.
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/products.php?cat=2&sortby=9
Edit: Oops, it’s actually 6 new surround titles!
1709743482920.png

Last edited:
5 new Dutton Epoch SACDs - March 2024

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk
Yikes, I hate to admit it. But after ALL this time, oh well. I have spent a boat-load of money at DV. I'll just wait a little longer for titles from rock or R&B/Soul to come out. Though, this is the Dutton Epoch branch of releases. Different from where the more popular quad titles come from.

Back