DVD-A car players

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok had to update this to do a mini review on that jvc-kd dvda head unit. I had a real chance to audition it this past week as my primary system took a dump ( kenwood xxv). And my spare ( pioneer 7600) is still on loan to a very soon to be ex friend. Well bottom line is that I can't wait to get this thing out of my car. There is a reason jvc is cheap. To those of you looking for aftermarket dvd-a capable players I would pass on the jvc- avx2. Reason = poor sonics. It sounds fair at very low volumes but when you try to turn it up it's awful. By low I'm saying say -5 or -6db. Above that it becomes a tin can on a string. This is probably why jvc was never embraced by the pro competition audio folks. Anyways found a new hideaway brain for my kenwood on ebay and can't wait for it to get here. I still like to listen loud and that jvc falls down and can't get up. So for those looking, stay with the kenwood models or the pioneer's, you won't be sorry.( there is a guy on ebay selling a pioneer 7800 new in the box for $900). ( I paid $1200 for my 7600) They do still show up used for @300$. For those that use that jvc, you guys don't realize what you are missing and I am in mourning for your ears.

Thanks for the timely update. My car 5.1 update project for Memorial Day, um 4th of July, um Labor Day still has not happened. Plan was Sony SACD head unit with switching for Panasonic portable DVDA player. Now I'm back on the fence.

Single DIN DVDA seems like the way to go according to my collection.

#distraught

From QQ deep space

Tim, I would urge you to watch ebay for one of the kenwoods or pioneer systems if you have any questions feel free to get ahold of me and I will be happy to help if I can. The new 7800 pioneer on ebay for 900 is an outstanding unit, but it is not cheap and if memory serves that may be the model that must be amped seperately,( memory does not serve very well anymore) however to get the full joy out of a high end system like this separate amps are recommended.
I would stay away from sony head units in general, problems with sony is and has always been premature button/knob failure, plus it is far easier to convert to dvda or find conversions to dvda than it is to sacd. Sony makes some excellent 12v amps, but their head units are another story. As with the jvc there is a reason that sony head units have never been embraced by pro's. I have a friend who had one of the mex sacd units, I was able to give a good listen to it in his vehicle and I was not impressed, he was fully amped with high end speakers (an ex-pro like myself) and that sony just fell down and couldn't get up above about -5db's as well. The digital audio chips (dac's) used are just not good enough. The burr - brown chips utilized in the kenwoods and pioneer's make a huge difference. I have a funny feeling that is also the chips that were ultimately used in the panasonic Els system as well as the harmon kardon levinson system, one day I would like to perform an autopsy on these just to see. The original Els prototype I can tell you did not have good dac's, they were urged to modify them as well as the power supply, thankfully they did and as a result many people love those systems.

Back