DVD-A & SACD Lookout List!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noticed....this is Tubular Bells 2003 which I read is a re-recording of the original 1973 album.

This just about kills any interest I may have had in this disc.
Other than the fact it's MC is there anything about this re-recording to recommend it over the original?

Just noticed....this is Tubular Bells 2003 which I read is a re-recording of the original 1973 album.

This just about kills any interest I may have had in this disc.
Other than the fact it's MC is there anything about this re-recording to recommend it over the original?

I have both copies, but have only listened to the SACD (original recording remastered) version. My DVD-Audio Discs are unopened. The 2003 version is a complete? re-recording, supposedly because Oldfield was not satisfied with the original version. My understanding is that the mix is more aggressive and "swirling", sometimes unnatural. I would imagine the fidelity however would be improved some. Interested in hearing from those who have both, or maybe I will open mine. Surely there is a poll on it here?

Found it. Mixed reviews on both versions, generally supportive, but a lot of people seem to agree with fidelity a little improved, mix a little weirder on the 2003. Think mine will stay wrapped for now.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ULAR-BELLS-2003-DVD-A&highlight=tubular+bells

I think the 2003 is much more "creative" in the surround department with a bit more movement around the speakers. And in the 2003 DVDA, John Cleese announces the instruments at the end of part one; which works very well.

You might have guessed that I prefer the 2003 DVDA.

Last edited:
Looks like Lee Ann Womack Greatest Hits on SACD has disappeared everywhere. Just now after deciding I want to replace my dvd-audio disk with a SACD. Anyone see any online anywhere, in stock for a non-inflated price?

update: Well, yesterday the cheapest one anywhere was over $38 with the shipping on amazon.com, but today there are 3 sellers listing it for under $17 total price, so I bought one from two of the sellers just to be sure I get one good one. I figure I can sell the other easily enough, and now I can see the dvd-audio dualdisc version too.

I sure hope they are actual SACDs and not incorrectly listed CDs.

Last edited:
Still looking for Beck - Sea Change on SACD. Can't afford the ebay or Amazon...Anyone want to help a brother out? Just starting my collection. Thanks!

Still looking for Beck - Sea Change on SACD. Can't afford the ebay or Amazon...Anyone want to help a brother out? Just starting my collection. Thanks!

Just keep an eye out on fleabay and be persistent. The SACD version is there weekly it seems. The dvd audio version is there as well and seems to fetch less than the sacd. I have both and actually prefer the dvd audio version.

Good luck!

I only got $29.99 for the one I sold a few weeks ago. It was a SACD. I seem to remember getting around $43 for the dvd-audio version a few weeks earlier.

I went to a bookstore today and ran across new and sealed sacds of George Harrison Live in Japan, Bob Dylan Love and Theft and the Nick Drake disc and many dualdiscs. Thought about the Nick Drake for about 2 seconds and remembered it might have been one of the lowest discs in the poll and had the other 2.

Automatic for the People [CD & DVD] is selling out fast. Both Amazon and wherehouse.com ran out of it just within the last day or two. I just got one in the mail from wherehouse.com yesterday.

I've got the rest of REMs 5.1 stuff already.

Automatic for the People [CD & DVD] is selling out fast. Both Amazon and wherehouse.com ran out of it just within the last day or two. I just got one in the mail from wherehouse.com yesterday.

I've got the rest of REMs 5.1 stuff already.

REM DVD-Audio's are highly recommended and seem to be going OOP. Monster (CD + DVD+ A) can still be had at Amazon for $14.31 as of now: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-CD-DVD-Dig-Rem/dp/B0006IIPFS/ref=pd_sim_m_2

Also, another title that is one of those odd one's but has a nice Multi-Channel mix IMHO. Recorded at the Sony Pictures Studios in L.A., but released only in Japan. She sings and plays a mean guitar, Rock/Pop. I really like this one and wish the music went on longer or she had more titles. Check out the used section on Amazon or eBay.

Miyuki Nakajima: Live at Sony Pictures Studios in L.A.
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2957

I have bought from this eBay seller with good results $12.99: Miyuki Nakajima JAPAN RARE ALBUM LIVE SACD http://cgi.ebay.com/Miyuki-Nakajima...t=Music_CDs&hash=item3a66e37c5f#ht_3434wt_976

Amazon shows equally good prices: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007G8FI6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

The local Fry's Electronics store just got a bunch of SACDs in. - San Marco, CA.
A couple MoFi's, a couple Analog Productions, quite a few classical SACDs.
The still have a couple Who, Clapton, and Elton John's.
The stock had been sitting for quite a while, then all of a sudden the whole rack seemed filled.

vinylguy4

Back