Eagles Announce The Long Goodbye Farewell Tour

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t get the fixation on founding members for bands.
At some point, when there are no original members left, the "band" becomes more of a corporation than a band.
What's the difference between a tribute band and a band that has a legendary name but no original members?
Seems to me they just have legal rights that the tribute band does not.

At some point, when there are no original members left, the "band" becomes more of a corporation than a band.
What's the difference between a tribute band and a band that has a legendary name but no original members?
The exception, I think, is when the band is still comprised mainly of long-standing members who, while not original, were integral to the band's success in their heyday.

I don’t get the fixation on founding members for bands.
Really?
So if & when Don Henley shuffles off this mortal coil, you’d pay to see a band called “The Eagles” led by Timothy B. Schmidt & Joe Walsh?
I certainly wouldn’t…but as I have learned on this website, “Your Mileage May Vary”

The difference is that a tribute band does not have official members of a band. Schmit and Walsh ARE official members of the Eagles. They're not fans or touring musicians. They're full fledged Eagles, per the band, their management and the contracts. If Don Henley sees them as members of the band, then so do I.

Really?
So if & when Don Henley shuffles off this mortal coil, you’d pay to see a band called “The Eagles” led by Timothy B. Schmidt & Joe Walsh?
I certainly wouldn’t…but as I have learned on this website, “Your Mileage May Vary”
Well first of all, that's a hypothetical that probably would never happen. The Eagles without Frey only happened because Henley is still around. Without any original members, it doesn't typically make sense to tour as that band. And I do understand that there is something to be said for "founding members" whatever that means. But I also think it's dismissive and disrespectful of someone as amazing as Joe Walsh to act like he's some faux Eagle or something. If someone told me Matt Cameron was not really a real member of Pearl Jam cuz he's ONLY been around for 26 of their 32 years, I would have some pretty harsh curse-filled things to say in response. "Well, Mike Inez isn't REALLY a member of AIC cuz he's only been around since 1994, not 1989."

Especially when the Eagles have had additions, comings and goings almost the entire span of their career. Is Don Felder also an Eaglet or whatever someone said? He's not a founding member.

The difference is that a tribute band does not have official members of a band. Schmit and Walsh ARE official members of the Eagles. They're not fans or touring musicians. They're full fledged Eagles, per the band, their management and the contracts. If Don Henley sees them as members of the band, then so do I.
So then, you would agree that when Walsh and Schmit go then that should be the end of the Eagles PERIOD. I could agree with that, but both of those artists were around during the band's relevant albums (you know, the ones that charted highly and actually get played on the radio stations and have bonafide hits on them. It's much less clear for a band like Lynyrd Skynyrd. To me they are now a band where the members are just milking the legacy.

Of course if people want to pay to see them, who am I to say they can't. But that doesn't change the fact that they are no more than a tribute band,

Well first of all, that's a hypothetical that probably would never happen. The Eagles without Frey only happened because Henley is still around. Without any original members, it doesn't typically make sense to tour as that band. And I do understand that there is something to be said for "founding members" whatever that means. But I also think it's dismissive and disrespectful of someone as amazing as Joe Walsh to act like he's some faux Eagle or something. If someone told me Matt Cameron was not really a real member of Pearl Jam cuz he's ONLY been around for 26 of their 32 years, I would have some pretty harsh curse-filled things to say in response. "Well, Mike Inez isn't REALLY a member of AIC cuz he's only been around since 1994, not 1989."

Especially when the Eagles have had additions, comings and goings almost the entire span of their career. Is Don Felder also an Eaglet or whatever someone said? He's not a founding member.
Having read Felder’s book, Henley and Frey went to great lengths to legally define who were “full fledged Eagles” (themselves) and who were not (everyone else.)
I sincerely doubt Walsh & Schmidt have equal standing - legally or financially - as Henley…and zero chance they are getting an equal slice of the pie.
That is not to diminish their musical talent…but if ever there was a band where being a “Founding Member” played a role, it was that one…so part of my original post - which was meant as a joke - was probably a bit of a dig at Henley - and probably colored by having read the book…
And by the way…there are some bands that tour with no original members, which does not pass the sniff test with me…but to each their own.

What an opportune time for RHINO to celebrate this farewell tour by FINALLY releasing those two QUAD Asylum albums on QUADIO BD~A on their forthcoming release schedule!

EAGLES -
On the Border. Asylum EQ-1004 (CD4), 8Q-1004 (Q8)
One of These Nights. Asylum EQ-1039 (CD4), Q8-1039 (Q8)

Back