Eagles Announce The Long Goodbye Farewell Tour

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So then, you would agree that when Walsh and Schmit go then that should be the end of the Eagles PERIOD. I could agree with that, but both of those artists were around during the band's relevant albums (you know, the ones that charted highly and actually get played on the radio stations and have bonafide hits on them. It's much less clear for a band like Lynyrd Skynyrd. To me they are now a band where the members are just milking the legacy.

Of course if people want to pay to see them, who am I to say they can't. But that doesn't change the fact that they are no more than a tribute band,
I mean I personally think that once Henley is gone, even if others are still around, the Eagles should be done. You can't do anything resembling the Eagles over the span of their entire career without Don. But also my point was not that "founding member" means nothing. It was more that with some bands, people get so fixated on founding members that they disrespect or dismiss long time official contributing members of a band. Founding Member means something. But it doesn't mean everything.

And for the record, Long Road Out Of Eden hit #1 on the US Charts, spawned like 5 hits and even won two Grammys. So I hope that it is included in that list of relevant albums for the Eagles.

I mean I personally think that once Henley is gone, even if others are still around, the Eagles should be done. You can't do anything resembling the Eagles over the span of their entire career without Don. But also my point was not that "founding member" means nothing. It was more that with some bands, people get so fixated on founding members that they disrespect or dismiss long time official contributing members of a band. Founding Member means something. But it doesn't mean everything.

And for the record, Long Road Out Of Eden hit #1 on the US Charts, spawned like 5 hits and even won two Grammys. So I hope that it is included in that list of relevant albums for the Eagles.
In the end, once the boomers die, that might be the final straw anyway. Not that there aren't lots of young fans attending concerts. I can't imagine most of them having the same deep feelings for the band and music that people that grew up with the band. There is also the "pissing on your own legend" factor. Just like an athlete that hangs around too long and tarnishes their star, the same can happen when a band enters into Spinal Tap territory.

Having read Felder’s book, Henley and Frey went to great lengths to legally define who were “full fledged Eagles” (themselves) and who were not (everyone else.)
I sincerely doubt Walsh & Schmidt have equal standing - legally or financially - as Henley…and zero chance they are getting an equal slice of the pie.
That is not to diminish their musical talent…but if ever there was a band where being a “Founding Member” played a role, it was that one…so part of my original post - which was meant as a joke - was probably a bit of a dig at Henley - and probably colored by having read the book…
And by the way…there are some bands that tour with no original members, which does not pass the sniff test with me…but to each their own.
From what I remember reading, Joe and Tim are paid a salary. Joe had said that he knew this going in and he has zero problems with it. I would assume Tim is OK as well, or else he wouldn't still be playing with them.

Don Henley always said "it's Glenn's band". But I suppose the mantle has been passed down to him and I'm good with that.
Henley and Frey had a lot of history together from playing in Ronstadt's band and on through The Eagles.

Walsh and Schmidt I have tremendous respect for.

Don Felder, while a good guitar player when he played with The Eagles, I don't give 2 cents for.

Back