eBay "Shockers" discussion (formerly Shocker Log)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isn't it ludicrous..!? I can't fathom how someone would want a cd that much.. let alone how they fund such madness..!!

more and more on eBay auctions I find after very little activity/bidding, I'm getting regularly "sniped" last minute, often just by just small amounts (50 cents outbid in last seconds happened again earlier today) and so "buy it now" is increasingly becoming my only option on eBay .. but how can people with real world incomes compete when there are those out there with £500 to spend on what is essentially a cd..?

Why don't you snipe yourself? Use Bid-O-Matic and let your PC bid on auctions running out on football matches. I got some nice discs while the end round of the EURO had been running :)

I don't wonder about high prices on some discs. There is so much money in the hand of a few. If you paid millions for a yacht USD 1200 for your favorite music disc is less than nothing. Since rich people are often lucky with investments the USD 1200 for the Scorpions SACD might look like a bargain in future. We all might look back and say: Hey, I also could have doubled my money. But if you do not have a fortune you may ask yourself: "What if all the music is re-released on Blu-Ray at USD 9.99" - yes, then you will look stupid - a bankrupt stupid...

Markus

"What if all the music is re-released on Blu-Ray at USD 9.99" - yes, then you will look stupid - a bankrupt stupid...

Markus
Blu-Ray audio is going to fail for the exact same reasons DVD-Audio failed.
Why remaster all of the old multichannel SACDs for Blu-Ray audio when nobody is going to buy them.

Why remaster all of the old multichannel SACDs for Blu-Ray audio when nobody is going to buy them.

That's what I would expect as well. But if I would be 100% sure I had to buy all rare SACD and DVD-Audio since prices are for sure an issue to go up.

Markus

Why don't you snipe yourself? Use Bid-O-Matic and let your PC bid on auctions running out on football matches. I got some nice discs while the end round of the EURO had been running :)

I don't wonder about high prices on some discs. There is so much money in the hand of a few. If you paid millions for a yacht USD 1200 for your favorite music disc is less than nothing. Since rich people are often lucky with investments the USD 1200 for the Scorpions SACD might look like a bargain in future. We all might look back and say: Hey, I also could have doubled my money. But if you do not have a fortune you may ask yourself: "What if all the music is re-released on Blu-Ray at USD 9.99" - yes, then you will look stupid - a bankrupt stupid...

Markus

I've not looked into sniping (yet) it just seems to take any fun/excitement out of an auction.

I guess I'm going to have to snipe in future though, if i'm to win anything.. losing out in the final seconds (after days of bidding) is getting tedious now!

the Eric Johnson & Crowded House DVDAs that just sold on eBay yesterday both saw last second flurries of intense bidding, all sniped bids I imagine.. it just feels like a bit of a cheat really.

very true, i agree blu-ray's a non-starter.

I reckon 5.1's last hurrah will be downloads.. and if they don't take off you can pretty much kiss multichannel music goodbye, or at least the prospect of there being more :( :(

I've not looked into sniping (yet) it just seems to take any fun/excitement out of an auction.

I guess I'm going to have to snipe in future though, if i'm to win anything.. losing out in the final seconds (after days of bidding) is getting tedious now!

the Eric Johnson & Crowded House DVDAs that just sold on eBay yesterday both saw last second flurries of intense bidding, all sniped bids I imagine.. it just feels like a bit of a cheat really.

Don't be stupid. It is very funny and exciting to make a good last second deal :)

Markus

There's a 2 part auction BIN for Chicago VII 8 Track, 169.99 per tape!! WTF?? Each tape is a seperate item. Obviously this person is an amateur, or just plain nuts. 340 plus for an 8 track set? No mention of resplicing or re-padding either. yeah, I don't have a link. Not sure how many read this shocker log anymore, but I can grab both listings. Un frickin believeable.

Last edited:
Amazing prices. If I had to pay a lot of $ for a Surround SACD - Ship Ahoy by the O'Jays would be worth it.

But the other SACDs mentioned here - Scorpions, Midnight Sugar and Sara Brightman? I can't see it.

Don't knock Scorpion's Moment of Glory sacd until you've listened to it. I finally got a copy converted to DVD audio and have to say that it sounds great. I'm not a big fan of the music but appreciate the great sonic quality.

P.S. I hopefully have got a copy of this but not at that price!!! :spot Hopefully it is the SACD (as listed)!!
Thats a truly great price.
One bid on such a rare SACD.:rolleyes:
I predict we will see a trend downwards in prices with SACDs as fewer and fewer people know what they are (or care).

You know, I've picked up some LPs & 8-tracks at low prices because I figured they'll increase in value over the years. So far 4 or the 15 or so I have purchased I was able to sell at a profit, usually $10 - $20 more than the original price. I don't know if you've ever heard the Mike Nesmith album, but it's awful. The production is terrible and even listening to the remastered CD is painful. I'd like to hear at least part of the quad tape just to compare - but not at almost $100! (could have something to do with Davy Jones passing away and the remaining three Monkees going out on tour).

You know, I've picked up some LPs & 8-tracks at low prices because I figured they'll increase in value over the years. So far 4 or the 15 or so I have purchased I was able to sell at a profit, usually $10 - $20 more than the original price. I don't know if you've ever heard the Mike Nesmith album, but it's awful. The production is terrible and even listening to the remastered CD is painful. I'd like to hear at least part of the quad tape just to compare - but not at almost $100! (could have something to do with Davy Jones passing away and the remaining three Monkees going out on tour).

Every day hundreds of stupid people wake up. You just have to find them to convert sh.. into gold :)

Markus

PigletSpice. Thats the guy who buys items on ebay and a week later he is selling them for double the price.
He did this with Thriller a few months back.
He also buys used items on eBay and then a week later they appear on his site with the description, "New but supplied unsealed by supplier"
Mute have never supplied these unsealed to any supplier.
Heres one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Depeche-Mod...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item2ebae10d4b

Trace through his history and you will probably find the same item bought in used condition.

This guy is on my "avoid at all costs" list.

Hi, interested to read your post. I've bought 2 or 3 items off him ( most recently, Seal ( Best Of ) new & sealed. He wanted £70 & i got him down to £60. I did wonder where he was getting his items from. ( i assumed it was as you state )
Even though the items were as described, i think i shall be more wary in future. I guess there's many ebay sellers doing the same.

Back