ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you know what they say...if you remember the 70s you weren't really there. :D:D:D

Well, I remember the Acid I took at the Led Zeppelin concert in 1977 was in sugar cube form. Beyond that.. [Drum roll, cymbal crash.] ;)

Good grief, some of things done in the 70s I would never do again. To understand it though, the context of the times also needs to be explained. In all seriousness, memories are still there. Sort of like finding them in an old box stored in the garage. You have to search for them. For example, the subject of John Lennon's "Mind Games" Quad record (fake) came up a few years ago and then a few years later again after that here. I recalled the story at different times, in different years. Then it occurred, was my recollection the same or different? Luckily, and strangely the stories matched, but one post from one year mentioned details that the other did not. One post told part of the story and the other post told the rest of the story without mentioning certain details from the other. But together, both posts tell a complete story.

Of course a good old, "if memory serves" can be helpful when trying to remember details that long ago..

So rontoon, I guess we all should know you are a PF fanatic. We have connected before on Yeeshkul. You must have a copy of my PF MSG July 4, 1977 show and my 79 Wall show. I used 3 mics L-R+Center for the Wall show at Nassau Colisseum. And I have your GREAT Chicago video with the upmix surround. You should have my 4-mic/dual recorders, DD encoded recording of the Wall from MSG also.
I'm not as familiar with the July 4 MSG Floyd recording as the one from the 2nd which is phenomenal and my favorite from the tour. And you must be referring to the 1980 Wall show for which the best audience recording was made by Barry G. Which night of The Wall did you record? I'll need to look into that one and your July 4th show, which I'm sure I have as well. Kudos for your skills and gifts!

I grew up in Brooklyn (my dad still lives in Manhattan), lived in S. Florida for several years and have been in Chicago since '81 as the geography of my ticket stubs will reveal.:)

I would guess that the entire WBMF King Biscuit Flower Hour show was taped including Pictures and Rondo. If those tapes exist, it would be a great find. The Newcastle City Hall show probably the same and a copy DOES exist without the annoying cartoon overlays but the negotiations for the unaltered video being released has not been finalized to my knowledge and I do not know whether or not any additional video is available.

Thank you for the answers much apreciated, I find it odd that more care was not taken of master reels live and studio, stuff must be out there.

Well, I remember the Acid I took at the Led Zeppelin concert in 1977 was in sugar cube form. Beyond that.. [Drum roll, cymbal crash.] ;)

Good grief, some of things done in the 70s I would never do again. To understand it though, the context of the times also needs to be explained. In all seriousness, memories are still there. Sort of like finding them in an old box stored in the garage. You have to search for them. For example, the subject of John Lennon's "Mind Games" Quad record (fake) came up a few years ago and then a few years later again after that here. I recalled the story at different times, in different years. Then it occurred, was my recollection the same or different? Luckily, and strangely the stories matched, but one post from one year mentioned details that the other did not. One post told part of the story and the other post told the rest of the story without mentioning certain details from the other. But together, both posts tell a complete

Of course a good old, "if memory serves" can be helpful when trying to remember details that long ago..

I think everybody experimented back then but i can recall only 2 occasions heavily under the influence, one an early Ozzy Osbourn show I'd
taken some M and Ms, magic mushrooms, amd I remember a feeling horrible presence of evil, and that everyone was staring at me, most unpleasant.

Secondly a Ian Gillian concert smoked so much dope I was throwing up in the toilet to Smoke on the Water blasting out in the distance.

I'm not as familiar with the July 4 MSG Floyd recording as the one from the 2nd which is phenomenal and my favorite from the tour. And you must be referring to the 1980 Wall show for which the best audience recording was made by Barry G. Which night of The Wall did you record? I'll need to look into that one and your July 4th show, which I'm sure I have as well. Kudos for your skills and gifts!

I grew up in Brooklyn (my dad still lives in Manhattan), lived in S. Florida for several years and have been in Chicago since '81 as the geography of my ticket stubs will reveal.:)

The 1980 Wall show had the worst sound I had ever heard at a PF concert. I used 3 mics and faced my center channel towards the stage and would open up the rear L&R during surround effects which can be heard in my recording. Unfoirtunataly, like I said, the sound was bad and PF didn't use much in the surrounds for that show.
My best PF which has some extremely discrete stereo at times was 1987(?) sans Roger at RFK Stadium, Philly. I bet you have that one. Listen to "On The Run"

The 1980 Wall show had the worst sound I had ever heard at a PF concert. I used 3 mics and faced my center channel towards the stage and would open up the rear L&R during surround effects which can be heard in my recording. Unfoirtunataly, like I said, the sound was bad and PF didn't use much in the surrounds for that show.
My best PF which has some extremely discrete stereo at times was 1987(?) sans Roger at RFK Stadium, Philly. I bet you have that one. Listen to "On The Run"

This is all vastly off topic again, but since we're doing it, I was at one of the Wall shows at Nassau (we sat a few rows behind Andy Warhol) and at the July 2 or 3 MSG Animals show in 1977. In those days it was a bit dangerous to see a show at MSG around July 4 -- lots of idiots throwing fireworks in the audience. Roger Waters let loose a nice f-bomb tirade at one such moron during the show I saw.

This is all vastly off topic again, but since we're doing it, I was at one of the Wall shows at Nassau (we sat a few rows behind Andy Warhol) and at the July 2 or 3 MSG Animals show in 1977. In those days it was a bit dangerous to see a show at MSG around July 4 -- lots of idiots throwing fireworks in the audience. Roger Waters let loose a nice f-bomb tirade at one such moron during the show I saw.
Damn. I envy you. wish I could have seen those shows. I've heard Roger's tirade on a bootleg MSG show. There are some pretty good bootlegs of all four July 77 MSG shows, but there's that one show (I want to say july 2, but I'd have to dig it out) where the fireworks were really disruptive. too bad people are so rude.

You must have a copy of my PF MSG July 4, 1977 show and my 79 Wall show. I used 3 mics L-R+Center for the Wall show at Nassau Colisseum. And I have your GREAT Chicago video with the upmix surround. You should have my 4-mic/dual recorders, DD encoded recording of the Wall from MSG also.
I love that July 4 recording! interesting to know that you recorded it, tarkusnj. Thank you!!!

BTW I'm a pf fanatic too, so any topic involving them is never really off-topic for me ;)

I don't think tarkusnj's expectations are totally unrealistic.
He is highly familiar with the nuances of the Offord mixes, its balance and the elements that inject excitement.
He has heard them perform this music live several times, as have I, through a quadraphonic P.A. system during the BSS/WBMF tours and knows how that sounds. So I think his expectations, and certainly mine, come from that experience.
The BSS DVD-A comes closest to that original intent. I guess you had to be there.

Some people seem to want to have it both ways. They want their opinions to be respected, just as everyone's opinions on this forum should be respected, but then if someone else disagrees with their opinion, they seem to think that their opinions should hold more weight because they're hardcore fans who "were there."

I've been an ELP fan for decades, and I saw them in quad in 1974. I like the new releases, and not because I'm some brainwashed zombie or because I'm not as devoted a fan as someone else.

Some people seem to want to have it both ways. They want their opinions to be respected, just as everyone's opinions on this forum should be respected, but then if someone else disagrees with their opinion, they seem to think that their opinions should hold more weight because they're hardcore fans who "were there."

I've been an ELP fan for decades, and I saw them in quad in 1974. I like the new releases, and not because I'm some brainwashed zombie or because I'm not as devoted a fan as someone else.

I remember how it was to see ELP and Keith's Moog for the first time in early 1971. The sounds were indescribable. That is when I decided to start taping the shows in Nov 71. After everyone filed out of the venue, I always had a tape of the show and listened to them over and over again. I recorded many shows between 71-78 and had an edge over other fans who just played the shows back in their heads. In April of 72 at the Academy Of Music in NYC, Keith personally autographed my tape after the show although he did not know what was on the tape! I was extremely lucky as I was the ONLY fan to access him in his limo. The security guards behind the building were decoying everyone else but I got lucky and Keith opened the window and was sitting there with his then wife (or future) Eleanor.

It seems strange that the ELP S/T DVD-A thread is getting more response than the Tarkus DVD-A thread.
Is it that most prefer the ELP S/T?
I am curious.
After these first 2 releases, what are your preferences as to what album you would most like to see done next?

I was extremely lucky as I was the ONLY fan to access him in his limo. The security guards behind the building were decoying everyone else but I got lucky and Keith opened the window and was sitting there with his then wife (or future) Eleanor.

Did you frame the autographed restraining order?

Thick as a Brick :cool:

Isn't Thick as a Brick scheduled for release?
And I meant what ELP album you are looking for next...
I am a big Tull fan but never recorded them. I saw TAAB early in the tour. I remember having to leave my college campus the morning after we raided the ROTC building to go to the show. I walked away with an officers hat.

I looked it up. PAAE = Pictures at an Exhibition.

I want a better version of Brain Salad Surgery since it's my favorite of their albums.

Maybe I should call it BSS?

Back