ELP Tarkus DVD-A Discussion (Not related to Poll evaluation)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
Sweet! I got my order in. And this will be my first purchase of this title ever. So, really looking forward to owning these titles.

My first purchase of tarkus too. i ordered from Amazon.UK so I hope they start shipping next week.

I used to have it on reel. Didn't like it much at the time.

So, is there a release schedule for the other titles? I couldn't find the general Emerson Lake & Palmer thread.

Never had this LP until a few years ago when I found a UK Island pink rim copy in VG++ condition for 99 pence!!!
Pleasantly surprised..
Greg Lake's production, as always, superb and crystal clear (except for BSS on LP)...

I've never heard this album. ( infact, i only vaguely recall listening to a friends vinyl, of one of their albums years ago ) I very likely will order the two releases, but i hope i won't be disappointed in the music ? It's all well and good being impressed by hirez, but if you don't care for the music, then it could be deemed as a waste of spending £18...but i've wasted a lot more than £18 on other things, so i may as well try them out.

I've never heard this album. ( infact, i only vaguely recall listening to a friends vinyl, of one of their albums years ago ) I very likely will order the two releases, but i hope i won't be disappointed in the music ? It's all well and good being impressed by hirez, but if you don't care for the music, then it could be deemed as a waste of spending £18...but i've wasted a lot more than £18 on other things, so i may as well try them out.

you won't know until you try them out! :D

I've bought loads of stuff over the years just because it was Hi-Rez/Surround and this (sometimes crazy & expensive) hobby has massively broadened my musical tastes & got me into acts & genres of music I would never have entertained listening to before, or had never even heard of.

Go for it, Rob mate! What have you got to lose!?

IMHO, Tarkus is their best. There are many great ones in the ELP oeuvre.

A sometimes crazy and expensive hobby? You think!?! I've spent over $250,000 on software alone. Hardware has set me back over $30,000 and most of it I got for free or on accommodation pricing from being in the industry. I used to tell people that I don't do drugs, but I shoot up with a phonograph needle. Now, I do it with a laser!

IMHO, Tarkus is their best. There are many great ones in the ELP oeuvre.

A sometimes crazy and expensive hobby? You think!?! I've spent over $250,000 on software alone. Hardware has set me back over $30,000 and most of it I got for free or on accommodation pricing from being in the industry. I used to tell people that I don't do drugs, but I shoot up with a phonograph needle. Now, I do it with a laser!

Haha! Of course generally it's expensive but then the investment in hardware & software for anything of that nature is, if you are serious about your hobby (whether its movies, music, video games, you need disposable income to do it properly) ..but I meant having to pay crazy prices for out of print SACDs, DTS CDs & DVDAs nowadays, is what makes this a particularly expensive hobby!

For example, I keep missing out on the Weather Report "Mysterious Traveller" SACD whenever it comes up (3 copies in the last couple of months) by last second sniped bids and all Amazon marketplace listings for it now are way overpriced. I'm doomed never to own it! The last eBay auction I was outbid by ONE measely Dollar in the very last seconds of bidding!! GRRRRRRR..!!!! :mad:

I haven't payed mishuggenah prices for anything. I got most of it when it was first released. My most prized piece of software is the Mofi Beatles collection LP box, and that I got for free.

This hobby is like a juice loan.

you won't know until you try them out! :D

I've bought loads of stuff over the years just because it was Hi-Rez/Surround and this (sometimes crazy & expensive) hobby has massively broadened my musical tastes & got me into acts & genres of music I would never have entertained listening to before, or had never even heard of.

Go for it, Rob mate! What have you got to lose!?

Yes Adam, i've bought music that i normally wouldn't have, and found some very enjoyables discs. I actually ordered the ELP releases a couple of weeks ago, and cancelled them at the begining of this week. ( it must have been the shock of ordering the Oppo BD93 ! ;) )

Yes Adam, i've bought music that i normally wouldn't have, and found some very enjoyables discs. I actually ordered the ELP releases a couple of weeks ago, and cancelled them at the begining of this week. ( it must have been the shock of ordering the Oppo BD93 ! ;) )

You're gonna love that BD93. I'll be listening to my ELP DVD-A's on mine in about a week. Oh Yeah!!!

I used to have it on reel. Didn't like it much at the time.

R2R is the only format of Tarkus that i didn't had anytime and i have dreamed of Tarkus in 5.1 since the BSS dvd-a. Call this a dream come true.

Ordered bolth ELP DVDA. I'd like to express my thanks to those here (Neil) and there (SW and Sony) who made these albums available on DVDA at an affordable price. Do you know the email address of the responsible Sony management where I can say thanks, too?

Ordered bolth ELP DVDA. I'd like to express my thanks to those here (Neil) and there (SW and Sony) who made these albums available on DVDA at an affordable price. Do you know the email address of the responsible Sony management where I can say thanks, too?
I'd prefer you to keep quiet about it. Management probably has no idea these exist.

I'm unsure why comments (passed) from Steven Wilson were removed without warning from this thread but here is the information again
Just heard that the current edition of ELP Tarkus is about to be withdrawn and one track REMOVED, so get it now while you can!
Unknown Ballad is being removed from Tarkus, I'm unsure why. The currently available pressing has it, subsequent pressings will not.
It is not a recall, but the next pressings may not have that (stereo only) extra track.

The booklet erroneously states that Are You Ready Eddy was removed from Disc 2 (the alternate stereo mix) to make room for Unknown Ballad. Steven decided at the last moment to keep AYRE in, but the liner notes weren't updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back