ELP Tarkus DVD-A Discussion (Not related to Poll evaluation)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(When I reply on this thread I am not given any 'Attachments' option in 'Additional Options' -- can someone explain why?)

If I'm not mistaken, the "Attachments" should be there to add photo etc., Try scrolling down when you get into one of the "Editing" modes. It should be there.

I recently bought a brand new Yamaha receiver and it seems to me that when I use the Muliti-Channel setting option (which employs the 6 analogue inputs - as opposed to HDMI) it disables all other management settings. The only thing I can control is tweaking the knobs on the back of my sub, which I'm assuming is the cross over setting.
I wonder if you can lower the LFE level in the receiver and raise the subwoofer would that rebalance the analog in respect to the digital? Of course proceed with caution.

I recently bought a brand new Yamaha receiver and it seems to me that when I use the Muliti-Channel setting option (which employs the 6 analogue inputs - as opposed to HDMI) it disables all other management settings. The only thing I can control is tweaking the knobs on the back of my sub, which I'm assuming is the cross over setting.

Whoops..just remembered, I didn't adjust the analog LFE level +10 on the Yamaha, it was on my Oppo DV-970 DVD player.

If I'm not mistaken, the "Attachments" should be there to add photo etc., Try scrolling down when you get into one of the "Editing" modes. It should be there.

It's not there. I can see it when I am on certain other threads, though. (for example Rumor Mill - Rumblings in surround : ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround)

That's why I asked.

Apologies seem to be in order as it seems I have completely derailed this thread with "tech talk".
Is there a more appropriate thread on this forum that someone could kindly provide a link to further discuss this topic?

guys, guys...apples and oranges...
SW is not the Kellogg guy...
everyone has a different approach!!!
BSS is a different monster altogether!!!!
The BSS mix is a MODERN mix, while the SW are not.
You want the oomph?
Play the stereo CD (or better yet, an early Island LP pressing) in DPL II!!!!

You want the oomph?
Play the stereo CD (or better yet, an early Island LP pressing) in DPL II!!!!
I think you made my point. The original Offord mix has more oomph, more compression, mixed to an analog deck pushing the needles into the red. It is not a bad thing.

SW is not the Kellogg guy...
but SW is the Crimson guy and those mixes sound fantastic. I am certainly not knocking him. But I shouldn't have to revert to 16 bit stereo DPLII when I buy a 24 bit DVD-A

The great thing about having a "flat" transfer is you can equalize and tweak and add "oomph" to your hearts content. If it is already done (as in BSS) then you are limited in what you can do. I would much rather have the flat transfer; as I can adjust it to my personal preference.

I have managed to refrain from commenting on all the folderol regarding these releases (though I was sorely tempted). These various ELP threads have managed to do nothing but distract us from the joys of surround - especially this year when there is so much to celebrate https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16524-A-pretty-good-year-for-surround&highlight=its+been+a+good+year.

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of the Razor & Tie versions ( I rush to my mailbox each day). In the meantime, yesterday was Steven Wilsons superb Blu Ray, "Get All You Deserve," and any day now, Fripp & Travis' "Follow" - this unproductive noise will be in our collective rear view mirror soon enough in the wake of what is to come.

Last edited:
Waiting on my Razor & Tie versions too, began to wonder if I'd actually ordered them (senior moment). Thanks for the timely reminder of all the great things are are getting now or very soon.

Recorded ELP's High Voltage 2010 reunion concert tonight and watched first 30 minutes eating dinner w/o audio jacked up. I also recorded it on the office DVR where I can blare it on the main system :) While some of the tempos seem slower, it is a joy to see ELP out there 40 years later doing it at all!

Having listened to each ELP release at least a dozen times now, I'm enjoying them more with each listening. Any previous expectations have vanished as I settle into these 5.1 mixes which are superb in clarity and separation. If there's one thing I appreciate about this "project"more than anything else is that I'm once again listening to albums that I haven't spun in years, albums that I listened to religiously when I first dscovered them in the 70's and am now again listening to them again with renewed excitement.

It's almost a shame that they are going to need a short break as the new live SW Blu-ray just moved to the top of the playlist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back