Elton John Royal Opera House in 5.1 (the Dream Ticket box)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bangsezmax

QQ Supporter
I couldn't find any threads about this anywhere.

Any surround fan who likes Elton John absolutely must get the Dream Ticket box. And the reason is the Royal Opera House set from 2002.

This concert was a benefit for the Royal Academy of Music (EJ is an alum) and featured the Academy Orchestra (with James Newton Howard conducting) backing up the EJ band (with Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson from the classic lineup). The young people in the orchestra are obviously thrilled to be playing this gig and EJ and company are obviously thrilled to have them creating that huge wall of sound behind them. The whole set just crackles with energy. It's really, really good.

And the 5.1 (even if it's Dolby) is killer -- Elton in the Center, the band in the fronts (Davey very clearly front right) and the orchestra and choir in the rears. Lovely enveloping mix.

My one complaint is that it's only 11 songs long. But what a set:

Sixty Years On
Take Me to the Pilot
This Train Don't Stop There Anymore
Carla Etude
Tonight
Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word
Philadelphia Freedom
Burn Down the Mission
Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me
Your Song
Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

You can pick this set up used for less that $10 with shipping on Amazon. You also get two more great (and much longer) videos, The One Night Only show from MSG in 2000, and a solo show from the Ephesus Amphitheatre in 2001. But the Royal Opera House is the one to watch and listen to in 5.1

Can I get a witness? Anyone else have this box? Fredblue?

Well the solo show in Ephesus was the real highlight of that set for me (check out "Honky Cat".. one of his most incredible solo performances I've ever seen and I've seen him solo live at least 20 times over the years! it was already available as a Rocket club member gift on VHS, which I had before Dream Ticket came out but great to have it on DVD)..

..as for the Opera House I can't say anything about the 5.1 mix as I don't recall ever trying out the disc, or at least if I did it was so long ago I can't remember a thing about it... though the liner notes say it was remixed by Frank Filipetti and Phil Ramone who of course did the Billy Joel Stranger and 52nd Street 5.1's which would explain the quality of the surround mixes as you have encountered bangsezmax! :eek:

However.. if its any consolation for my lack of insight on the meal ticket, I mean dream ticket, I "was there" at least.. and a good time was had by all at the opera house, before, during.. and after.. haha.. :D

That is too cool! So I take it he did more than 11 songs in the set? I've never looked up a complete setlist.

It really is an outstanding show IMO. You've obviously seen Elton way more than me, so I'd be interested in your recollections of the show and/or your observations of the DVD. Check it out some time and tell me what you think.

I know that part of the reason I like the mix is that it's immersive -- a live show with actual music instead of ambient audience in the surrounds! Whoulda thunk it!

Holy crap! This thing has been gathering dust in my collection for a decade. Don't think I had ever checked out the 5.1 soundtrack. The mix is fantastic. Also nice that about half of the songs are from albums that have yet to be released in surround. "Carla Etude" and "Tonight" are stunning. (And Elvis Costello is in the audience!)

I got to see a similar show at Radio City Music Hall a couple of years later and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

This thing is proof that 5.1 mixes on concert videos don't have to be so conservative. Can you imagine if the 1987 Live in Australia show could get the same treatment on a blu-ray? It would be amazing.

As mentioned above, you can grab dirt cheap copies of this on Amazon, it's going for as little as $3. Very much worth it. Thanks for pointing this one out Bangsezmax!

That is too cool! So I take it he did more than 11 songs in the set? I've never looked up a complete setlist.

It really is an outstanding show IMO. You've obviously seen Elton way more than me, so I'd be interested in your recollections of the show and/or your observations of the DVD. Check it out some time and tell me what you think.

I know that part of the reason I like the mix is that it's immersive -- a live show with actual music instead of ambient audience in the surrounds! Whoulda thunk it!

Pretty sure this is the setlist;

Skyline Pigeon

Border Song

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters

Tiny Dancer

Original Sin

Holiday Inn

Someone Saved My Life Tonight

Circle of Life

Sixty Years On

I Need You to Turn To

The Greatest Discovery

Carla/Etude

Tonight

Take Me to the Pilot

This Train Don't Stop There Anymore

Have Mercy on the Criminal

Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word

Believe

Philadelphia Freedom

Burn Down the Mission

Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

Your Song

Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting

I've got a programme from the night somewhere I'll fish it out, take some pics and post them up here.

Holy crap! This thing has been gathering dust in my collection for a decade. Don't think I had ever checked out the 5.1 soundtrack. The mix is fantastic. Also nice that about half of the songs are from albums that have yet to be released in surround. "Carla Etude" and "Tonight" are stunning. (And Elvis Costello is in the audience!)

I got to see a similar show at Radio City Music Hall a couple of years later and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

This thing is proof that 5.1 mixes on concert videos don't have to be so conservative. Can you imagine if the 1987 Live in Australia show could get the same treatment on a blu-ray? It would be amazing.

As mentioned above, you can grab dirt cheap copies of this on Amazon, it's going for as little as $3. Very much worth it. Thanks for pointing this one out Bangsezmax!

That ROH '02 gig was a great concert (and a special night that involved the four of us waltzing up the red carpet on the way in.. we splashed out on a box, it was for charity so it felt in a good cause and all that.. and there was booze and nibbles laid on for us in there.. quite overwhelming really.. and when you've seen someone like a hundred times live it can get a bit "samey" though he usually somehow manages to still captivate the audience by mixing up arrangements/settings/band configs etc, even if its just "the jukebox" of hits and that concert was still enthralling..)

..BUT - and this is not to take away from that 2002 gig - he did another fund raiser at the ROH - again for their organ, fnarr fnarr, in about '09, which was just him and Ray Cooper and I have to say I enjoyed it even more so, he was in unusually good voice and spirits and pulled some nice deep cuts out the bag including Better Off Dead, Crazy Water, Indian Sunset.. I am very critical of him, his voice now is not what it was - and that's being kind - and he has done a lot of crap music since his long distant classic years.. but when that spotlight hits him and he's on top form it is quite something to witness and suddenly it all makes sense why he got the reputation he did for being such a great live performer.. Bowie's death has hit me hard, Freddie's was heartbreaking and still upsets me so much to this day but god knows how I'll feel when Elton goes, doesn't bear thinking about really.. I'll pull out this Dream Ticket DVD and give the ROH a spin in 5.1, thanks for the recommendation bangsezmax :upthumb

Any surround fan who likes Elton John absolutely must get the Dream Ticket box. And the reason is the Royal Opera House set from 2002.

Thanks for the turn on. I love history in music and this 4 disc set, sold at Amazon for $35.00 is on it's way.

Just checked this out based on your recommendation. Great mix, great show! This has been on my shelf since 2010, unopened. Lots of listening to do, AND videos often disappoint. Not this one! Recommended! Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Thanks for the turn on. I love history in music and this 4 disc set, sold at Amazon for $35.00 is on it's way.

GREAT advice, Markie. I likewise took the plunge on this 4 DVD EJ box set.

Just checked this out based on your recommendation. Great mix, great show! This has been on my shelf since 2010, unopened. Lots of listening to do, AND videos often disappoint. Not this one! Recommended! Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
I too am going to order it right away. I am almost always disappointed with live 5.1 mixes, it is usually a stereo recording with a bit of the audience in the rear.

Please forgive this little sidebar but clicking Adam's setlist link takes you to a setlist wiki. And to my delight I found there the setlist for my first Elton concert way back in 1976.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elton-john/1976/richfield-coliseum-richfield-oh-6bda8a4a.html

Wow! I was a 13 year old mega-fan and seeing this list brought back many wonderful memories of the show. Kiki Dee joined him for a few tunes. Elton played guitar(!) on Love Song (or perhaps that happened in the '80 show when next I saw him). I sat closest to James Newton Howard who was wearing a space-age sleeveless shirt with rings at the shoulders. Unfortunately Ray Cooper was sick but to everyone's delight they brought out a full size cut-out of him on stage. I have very vivid memories of many of the numbers but sadly I can't recall him playing Captain Fantastic. Strange, as that was (and is) one of my all-time faves. Looking back it's a bit odd that he only played 2 tracks from what was then his most recent LP (Rock of the Westies). But of course by that time he had already amassed a wealth of hits and concert favorites.

Again, sorry for the interruption folks, but seeing that list left me awash in misty nostalgia. :)

Back