Eric Clapton / The Definitive 24 Nights Atmos BOX SET (3 BluRay/6 CD) 6/23/2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the other thing. The Blu-Rays should have also offered a 5.1 track. I know the Atmos will mix down to 5.1 if you don't have the option for 7.1 or Atmos but it would have been nice to have the 5.1 there. There is plenty of room on all 3 discs to to offer that. Also, I doubt whether the 5.1 track on the DVD's have the volume issue.

I've only watched the Rock BD so far, these are long shows.

I only have a 5.1 system (analog outs from my oppo 205 to my Marantz Receiver); the audio options are only Stereo and Atmos on the BD.

Went about half way into the first song (on the Atmos setting) and thought it had a very dispersed/undefined mix kind of sound in the un-folded 7.1 Atmos base (mixed down to 5.1 on my oppo.) Right or wrong, I always think of Atmos as 7.1 base channels with "un-folded" height speakers; in that, "un-folded" means it isn't up-folding the Atmos heights per the Metadata. It just didn't sound ballsy like a rock show should sound. Maybe a full Atmos setup will create a different aural sound field IDK. So I switched to Stereo and immediately liked it much better with a nice wide stereo mix and lots of punch.

I ripped the disc with MakeMKV and looked at a song I liked called "Tearing Us Apart" (that intro lick reminds me a little bit of The O'Jays - For The Love Of Money.) Also, if you look at the old DVD that I have of this set, it's not nearly as complete and doesn't even have that song on it.

Listening to each channel or set of channels in Audacity, I hear a lot of the same info. in the Center and the Rears with the sides being just some light ambient stuff. There is some slight weighting of some instruments to the rears, but not much. There is no LFE info. I even tried removing the side channels 5 & 6 and it sounded a little better but still not what I was looking for. I even tried running the stereo file through Penteo and I got much more satisfying results on a 4.1 mix from that.

So overall, I'll just stick to the stereo on this one.

Another thing I noticed, is in the credits, they only show the credits for one of the bands; the band with the horns (featuring guys like Lou Marini, who played with BS&T and The Blues Brothers etc.) and others weren't shown AFAIK.

I have a 7.1 system so I can't play the actual Atmos either. I know what you are saying about "ballsy". I doubt whether height etc speakers would change that much. I do have plenty of bass with my 3 subwoofers. I can crank those up if I need to as I run the rest if my speakers as "small" so I do have bass info going in there. That's not the issue. I never even thought of listening to the stereo version but I am going to try that tomorrow. Could be the option for me if it takes that "thinness" away.

So I selected the stereo option. Was still unsatisfying but better. Put the 7 channel stereo on and now I am back to my normal volume of -24 and the sound is way better from a clarity perspective. Everything is more "immediate". Will likely not be playing the Atmos again. I was expecting the excellent mix that was present on both The Lady In The Balcony and Nothin' But The Blues but disappointment reigns.

If I was rating this sound it would have been a 3 out of 10 for the Atmos and now is an 8 out of 10 with the stereo (plus 7 channel stereo applied). I'm very happy now. It's like a whole different experience.

Last edited:
Damn, thank God I didn't buy this...I would have been pissed.
Some of it is the original recording as well I am sure. I think I remember a comment in the book about dissatisfaction with some of the recordings because some or all were done digitally. In 1991 I don't think digital recordings were all that great. There is still a "fuzziness" to some of the tracks even in stereo but the Atmos mix seems to have just exacerbated the situation.

Damn, thank God I didn't buy this...I would have been pissed.
I’m actually ok with it, as I mentioned early in the thread I bought it for the improved video and extra material, not previously available. I’ve got a lot more digging to do on this one… so little time with everything else going on in our QQ corner!
:51QQ

In this huge expensive box set where you can find songs Badge and Hoodoo Man?
It appears they weren't filmed, and since the CDs are just equivalents of the DVDs/Blu-Ray discs, they also don't have those songs. Which is sad, since Hoodoo Man was by far and away my favourite track of the blues set on the original CD.

Surround Atmos, typical Live Concert style, all ambient, surround bed and (heights-weak).
I listened to Grateful Dead - Europe 72 Atmos mix after 24 Nights Atmos mix on Apple Music. The discrete Atmos mix Steven Wilson did is so much better than IMO the typical lazy live style Atmos mix on 24 nights. The Europe 72 Atmos mix is the way live Dolby Atmos should be mixed. JMHO

I have seen all the posts on the audio quality on this box set. I cannot speak to the Dolby-Atmos as I have a 5.1 set-up but the stereo mixes on the blu-rays are outstanding! I am more than happy with this box set just for the blu-ray concerts with the stereo mixes as the band is so tight. Very pleased to see Phil Collins on drums for some of the songs. Maybe this is one of those cases where we should all be happy with the stereo sound and blu-ray video. Finally, I love the hardback book also!

I have seen all the posts on the audio quality on this box set. I cannot speak to the Dolby-Atmos as I have a 5.1 set-up but the stereo mixes on the blu-rays are outstanding! I am more than happy with this box set just for the blu-ray concerts with the stereo mixes as the band is so tight. Very pleased to see Phil Collins on drums for some of the songs. Maybe this is one of those cases where we should all be happy with the stereo sound and blu-ray video. Finally, I love the hardback book also!
I agree that the stereo is much better than the multi-channel. Sound quality wise I would rank the discs by best audio quality to worst quality although obviously the quality varies by which show the track was taken from. 1 - Rock, 2 - Orchestral, 3 - Blues. I was disappointed by the Blues disc. The best sounding track on all 3 discs is 'Wonderful Tonight" on disc 1.

Last edited:
I agree that the stereo is much better than the multi-channel. Sound quality wise I would rank the discs by best audio quality to worst quality although obviously the quality varies by which show the track was taken from. 1 - Rock, 2 - Orchestral, 3 - Blues. I was disappointed by the Blues disc. The best sounding track on all 3 discs is 'Wonderful Tonight" on disc 1.
Blu.ray.com in their review of 24 Nights also agrees that the stereo remix is preferable to the ATMOS calling it 'more focused!'

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Eric-Clapton-The-Definitive-24-Nights-Blu-ray/336356/#Review

I was quite impressed with the Electric Guitar concerto-maybe a bit too long but well thought out and orchestrated. Clapton plays extremely well. Ok, back to sonic complaints.

Back