Everything Must Go, early feedback???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Kotches

Has anyone received their copy of EMG yet?

I was curious what the feedback was so far on this title, and am looking forward to it arriving on my doorstep today.

Regards,

Going to Bestbuy today to see if it's out.....I'll have a review tomorrow if it is....but up here in SARS land we get stuff later than the USA, so I doubt it will be there:mad:

Just got mine. Our Best Buy did not have any (although they had a ton of Norah Jones SACDs - one is now mine :D ), but next door at Ciruit City, I found ONE COPY in the maintenance cart, which I grabbed. So far, it is sitting on the front seat of my car.

BTW - According to the labels, the CD/DVD combo had the same "bonus" content that is on the DVD-A, so for those compeletists, you only need the regular CD and the DVD. Not like the Fleetwood Mac.

:-jon

Haven't had time for a really critical listen, but on the first run through I would have to say it sounds a lot like Steely Dan. There is not much in way of "new ground" here, and I for one could not be happier about it. I really like this album. Probably won't be the critical success of "Two Against Nature", but personally that is my least favorite S.D. disc. I also like this more than "Gaucho" as all the songs seem more accessible and there are only four songs on that lp that I like. As I said this is only my first run-through impression so my opinion will most likely change with repeated listens. But right now it gets two thumbs up, another "usual" Steely Dan mix from Mr. Scheiner, (which is a very good thing), with the ladies coming in from the rear, etc. Can't find anything to complain about, haven't seen the video portion yet, but so far I am very, very happy with it.
Nice job all.

I posted a lengthy review and then lost it on the "Add Reply" somehow. This one will not be as long. Gary described the music. I think it will take a few listenings for it to catch on. Ones that don't catch on the first listening are often the best and longest lasting discs. Elliott Scheiner has taken it up another notch. Very discrete with all instruments and vocals impeccably captured. The rears are as loud and clear as the mains with just as much information in them. I think that running all speakers at large sounds best with this disc. If compared to all my hi-rez discs it would sonically be within the top 5. The taxi video was entertaining as well and the video quality for full screen was top-notch. I tried to play the Led Zeppelin DVD and new RadioHead CD right afterwards and failed. The sound difference was too much. I'm going to put that Bach Organ SACD on again. The "bar" has been set for the evening.

Like Gary said, nothing groundbreaking, but Steely Dan is like a comfy old sweater! I wasn't expecting anything different! I think this might be the best sounding disc I have, beating out Sea Change because there is better balance between the fronts and rears. The backing vocals are amazing...a few times it felt like the girls were standing right behind me. Godwhacker is a great song with tasty lyrics! Some great percussive guitar work on a lot of the tracks....not too much center channel from what I could tell, but I didn't really miss it, the sound is very enveloping. I had the same problem as Guy, I played the new Radiohead CD right after this one, and it felt like someone put cotton in my ears!
Another great job by the boys, and another great mix by Elliott Scheiner. Musically, I think the best word to use might be "summer-y". It's a very boppy, toe tapping collection of songs. The video is very funny as well. Get this disc!

Back