Experience with QRX-7500 repair

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadvu

About 5 years ago my QRX-7500 finally laid down after 20+ years of trouble free service.It would power up but I had no sound from any channel. The local repair shops didn't have any idea how to fix it{one even told me Sansui and Sanyo were the same!}, so I boxed it up and thats where it stayed until 2002 when I found Mike Zuccaro's websight. I talked with him over the phone and while he didn't give me a price quote he did say he could fix it so I sent the unit to him in CA.{$50 to ship} A month and a half or so later he called to tell me that after fixing a short in the front panel and a good cleaning it was going again and he was shipping it back.The price to fix it was $200 including the return shipping. When I got it home and hooked up, the rear channels still didn't work but since the front ones worked great I was just happy to have it going again.Around 3 months later another problem arose.The sound would just go out.{Sometimes after an hour, sometimes 15 minutes.} The VU meters would still bounce happily along but to hear anything you had to have a really good imagination, so back in the box.In January of this year I got the itch to try again so I sent the receiver to Vintage Electronics in CO. {Another $50 in shipping.} I explained the rear channel problem and that the sound would cut out after use.Their price was $155 including the return shipping. Roughly 3 weeks later VE e-mailed that after replacing some caps and transisters the unit was repaired and on the way home.When it got here I hooked it up in 2ch mode and it worked fine so I turned it off, got my rear speakers set back up and turned it on in quad mode. While the rear channels worked, they didn't register as high on the VU meters or sound as strong as the front ones.This wasn't really much of a problem though because after 15 minutes the sound went out! VE and I e-mailed back and forth a few times about the problem and they did ask that I return the unit but I deceided why bother.After a $455 total my Sansui still lives in a box! Well later this year I will try one more time. I'm going to send this to Quad Bob in CA for a total restoration and after its home I'll post on how it performs and holds up good or bad. If it is finally fixed it will be a much better return than the $455 allready spent and if it dosn't I will encase it in glass and put it an display in my house!{I'll have to much in it to box it up again!}

If you fo the QB route, you will be totally amazed!!!

Dr. QB will fix that puppy right up! While I'm not sure about the QRX-xx00 series' problems, the xx01 series were notorious for succumbing to cold solder joint problems on the circuit boards with channel dropouts, and imbalances the unhappy result. QB fixed mine after many yrs of living with the problem and a unsuccessful visit to an "authorized Sansui repair center". Well worth it. Save your display case for another item, because your Sansui will rise again.
:banana:

QB can fix you up. The only question is whether its worth fixing/rehabbing yours or just buying one he's already done. Bob is fabulous, but he has so many projects going on, it would save you time to buy one of his. Just a thought.
Marc

Especially since the QRX 001 series were the final version of Variomatrix, so are far more worth investing money in. I too can relate to nostalgia to certain pieces, but if you want to admire it, put in in the display case and put the effort into one that will give the best results.

Thanks again everyone for all the input. I still have a few months to think it over but I really doubt I'll change to the xx01 series. I would't argue the fact that they perform better and if I were ever to sell it would be a better return on my money. Its just my wife's father bought this receiver new. She has told me about how as a little girl she would sing along to Donna Summer on this unit.{If you read this Wies hope you didn't mind me telling that!} I've been around it since I was 14,{Nope, no Donna Summer, Merle Haggard maybe} and I'm sure that while it isn't worth restoring to most, it is to me. Anyway, how often can you spend money on something you'd like and get points with the wife, she thinks its so sweet. I hope that makes up for snitching about the Donna Summer thing. See Yall later! :sun

Back